Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oct 14th 2010: day date RSC overhaul estimate - $980... (!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oct 14th 2010: day date RSC overhaul estimate - $980... (!)

as per title...

2 years warranty or not, the pricing is getting a little ridiculous.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

I'm not really fluent in putting my words across so pl bear with my long-windedness.

Yes, the price is simply . No doubt. But I heard this recently with regards to the higher costs with the RSC, versus independent watch repairers/technicians/masters (whatever you call them).

With the high(er) pricing, RSC actually gives a much thorough and complete service 'package', so there's something like a standard check list for a 'package'. This 'package' may come with changing of certain parts in the watch that RSC may not charge since the 'package' encompasses such a change.

For example, you walk into RSC and checked in a watch for service/repair. RSC quotes you a 'package' that costs $1,000, short of explaining what they are going to do with your watch. But they have a check list, say items 1 - 10, that they will carry out on your watch, for that $1,000 package. So for $1,000, they have to fulfill all 10 items/chores to your watch, whether your watch needs it or not.

Now, you walk into an independent watch service to do the same. You may be quoted say, $500, but what this independent watch service will do is only items 1 - 4, of what RSC will do to your watch. And if a part needs to be changed, you may be further charged for it.

If this is indeed true, what RSC has done wrong here is the communication part, ie they stop short of relaying such information to their customers, thus, resulting in misinterpretation of their recent high pricings for repair and service.

I have to qualify that this is hearsay only and I stand corrected.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

sounds like sending my car to my mechanic for service. there is a list of items to be checked and it is indeed check as i was around to witness.

if there is INDEED a check list, why cant RSC show it to customer rather then just saying verbally if it was said. anyway, i was not advise on the check list last month when sending in a 1501 which cost ~760.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
      With the high(er) pricing, RSC actually gives a much thorough and complete service 'package', so there's something like a standard check list for a 'package'. This 'package' may come with changing of certain parts in the watch that RSC may not charge since the 'package' encompasses such a change.
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Yes, that did come to my mind, as I made comparison with that of servicing a car. But I thought it could be due to some form of industry secret of sort. For servicing a car, I think it is pretty standard; nothing to hide, because car servicing does not entail opening up the engine to service.

But for a watch 'engine', if RSC is to detail out what exactly they do, then over time, watch experts may be able to study the works of its movement in and out. I may be wrong and this are purely my thoughts.
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

a check list did not be detail to the dot. something like
          1. check lubrication
          2. check wear and tear for watch movement
          3. check rubber seal
          4. check acrylic/sapphire
          5. check crown
          6. check for rust
          7. ...
          8. ...
          9. ..

it did not have to be check pinon, check gears, etc..
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Yeah, ok. Then the next time anyone brings a watch to service/repair, can ask RSC for details of works carried out. I think it is only fair, since the prices are now so high.
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

this post is not directed at anyone. i'm just fed up with RSC singapore.

it doesn't take a rolex-trained technician to service a rolex movement. rolex movements are taught as part of a basic WOSTEP course.

of course there are overheads to consider when we think of rolex as a "for profit" company.

my watch has barely been worn since it was bought.

the crown is sharp and crisp. the watch has never been polished. everything is sharp and pointy.

there is no reason why the hands or crown requires changing.

i can understand if the tube needs changing even though mine looks brand new under the electron microscope.

the only reason why i brought it in is due to a day change problem - the oils have dried out due to lack of use, and it won't flip over properly at 12 midnight. it completes the day change only at 3am.

why trick me into changing the hands or demand that the case MUST be cleaned (cleaning means a light polish, not ultrasonic cleansing or cleaning with soap and cloth) when my specific instructions were to keep the dial, hands, case, case back and bezel AS IS?

even a month ago when i changed the acrylic crystal on my 1601, i was given a lot of attitude for not wanting to have the watch serviced or touched BEYOND having the crystal replaced.

in fact, they didn't want to only change the crystal because they wanted the dial and hands changed too. if i had not started making calls, i would have no choice but to allow them to do AS THEY PLEASE.

who knows, after the dial and hands get changed, they'll find that the pinion might also need changing.

then perhaps what they see under the dial will deem an overhaul necessary. and of course the crown has to be changed!

and of course they will demand that my "DENTED" case is polished...

good grief man!

this is MY watch. i'm THEIR customer. they should do as i ask. i'm not buying a brand new watch - i WANT the oxidation left on my watch because it reminds me of my father who owned the watch before me.

they should not be changing every item possible arbitrarily, OR simply because it's better for their bottom line.

we must always remember that rolex is a private company that aims for a healthy profit, because that's what they are.

i have decided to send my watch to giovanni in san francisco instead of proceeding with the service in singapore. until then i'll live with the SLOW DAY CHANGE!
              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

i left something out above:

it doesn't take a rolex-trained technician to service a rolex movement. rolex movements are taught as part of a basic WOSTEP course.

of course there are overheads to consider when we think of rolex as a "for profit" company. "as such, we cannot compare a rolex tech to a regular joe watch maker."

... and i won't even talk about the number of "free" extra scratches found around my watch lugs AND case back after it was (grudgingly) returned to me this afternoon...

i'm not surprised that they would demand a polish as a compulsory part of the RSC service, failing which, the customer may see that a rolex tech might not be as terrific as we'd imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post

this is MY watch. i'm THEIR customer. they should do as i ask. i'm not buying a brand new watch - i WANT the oxidation left on my watch because it reminds me of my father who owned the watch before me.
                  I totally agree with you. Brought my first rollie happily to RSC hoping to send it for polish, but was quoted SGD$8xx for complete overhaul. Told them I did not want and do not think my watch needed a complete overhaul. But the lady said they do not simply do polishing alone. And that there was no other option, only has one "Package". Indirectly saying "Hi Carrot head, please pay us SGD$8xx so we can do things OUR WAY. Kindly collect your watch on -insert date here-" Which is around 1-2 months waiting time at that point of time.

Another thing was the way she spoke to me, I can say her attitude sucks to the core. Her reaction was like "Ok lor, see you face also know you won't/can't afford to pay so much to do one" *continues to take my watch inside and ask the technician to assemble* Just because I look like a kid with low spending power does not mean she can treat me that way right? I walk into any customer service center and the pinoys might even smile more politely and serve me with a better attitude. My apologies for the rant. But this is the cold harsh truth about RSC's service.
                  'Faber est suae quisque fortunae'

Comment

I wonder what Rolex does to those so call faulty parts that they change? I've always ask myself where do those shops which do servicing and repair get their parts from since Rolex won't sell them brand new parts. Do those shops promise customer the parts being replace is brand new?

Comment

Originally posted by sagara View Post
                      I wonder what Rolex does to those so call faulty parts that they change? I've always ask myself where do those shops which do servicing and repair get their parts from since Rolex won't sell them brand new parts. Do those shops promise customer the parts being replace is brand new?
                      They might have an account with rolex to get parts. Or the technician inside "supply" them with some parts.
                      'Faber est suae quisque fortunae'

Comment

It's sad sometimes when it comes to things like this. We, consumers, often have no alternatives.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Is it a RSC SOP to overhaul each and every watch brought in for servicing?

If this is the case, it will be expensive.
                          It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light.
                          Aristotle Onassis

Your present circumstances don't determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.
                          Nido Qubein

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
                          Jimmy Dean

Comment

Hmm even if there are some parts change, the price really commanded a very high margin.

And price seems to be higher than overseas rsc. Also uniquely Singapore customer service. High overhead low pay vs low overhead high pay?
                            Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                              It's sad sometimes when it comes to things like this. We, consumers, often have no alternatives.
                              KL RSC is cheaper. it's not that far away too...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X