Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

oct 14th 2010: day date RSC overhaul estimate - $980... (!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree....and customer service is better too.
    [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Just sent my DayDate for complete overhaul & was charge $980.

The lady told me that next year the servicing price will follow Geneva Pricing.

But not sure is it world wide.

I earn money the hard way,but compare Rolex service and other SO CALL top brand is much more cheaper.

I ever own a Lange,i sent to sincere to recoat the crystal cause the coating peeling off.

It took 7 month to come back.

Guess how much i pay for the coating(Call me stupid or Nut)

COST IS $2,664 FOR THE COATING.

Comment

Originally posted by Heng Tin Hong View Post
        Just sent my DayDate for complete overhaul & was charge $980.

The lady told me that next year the servicing price will follow Geneva Pricing.

But not sure is it world wide.

I earn money the hard way,but compare Rolex service and other SO CALL top brand is much more cheaper.

I ever own a Lange,i sent to sincere to recoat the crystal cause the coating peeling off.

It took 7 month to come back.

Guess how much i pay for the coating(Call me stupid or Nut)

COST IS $2,664 FOR THE COATING.
        oxymoron (please check what it means before thinking i called you names).
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Please enlighten me,bro Taxico.

Thank you.

Comment

Contradiction, my friend.
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thank you,Bro Oceanklassik.

Comment

Originally posted by blingking View Post
                Is it a RSC SOP to overhaul each and every watch brought in for servicing?

If this is the case, it will be expensive.
                folks, i'm nwebies here. heres what i learnt from a trained rolex technicianfor older and vintage watches, it may be necessary to overhaul the watch. a watch does > 20k vibrations per hour, > many billions vibrations per year. A wore out part can easily put stress on neighbouring components which eventually leads to "complete breakdown" of whole mechanism... thats why old watches lose their accuracy and "power reserve" after many years unless major overhaul is done. those simple oiling servicing package will only add more damage to the vintage watch in long run.

imagine topping up engine oil without flushing out the old oil out, all the micro dust and metal fillings will slowly grind away the delicate parts (imagine the many billions vibrations a watch does per year)
                Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                , 18238 malachite
                DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                AP 15300 Black
                Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                GP 18k RG
                IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                Chronoswiss Skeleton
                Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

That price is simply REDICULOUS!

Rolex is charging a big premium that you will NEVER NEVER NEVER get back!

Rolex Singapore is also a bit dishonest.... A good friend of mine sent in a Daytona for service (mainly because he wanted Rolex papers to say all is perfect and original). The techs at Rolex Sing - said some of the rare parts were damaged. This is complete BS! My friend has 20 x magnification photos to prove otherwise! I am not sure exactly which parts but I think it related to the BEZEL! (certain Rolex bezels are worth alot more than other Rolex daytona bezels)!
                  They simply wanted to take out the valuable parts and put in the not so valuable parts! - and they of course sell the other parts out the back door!

Personally Rolex Singapore SUCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Archie42 View Post

Rolex Singapore is also a bit dishonest.... A good friend of mine sent in a Daytona for service (mainly because he wanted Rolex papers to say all is perfect and original). The techs at Rolex Sing - said some of the rare parts were damaged. This is complete BS! My friend has 20 x magnification photos to prove otherwise! I am not sure exactly which parts but I think it related to the BEZEL! (certain Rolex bezels are worth alot more than other Rolex daytona bezels)!
                    They simply wanted to take out the valuable parts and put in the not so valuable parts! - and they of course sell the other parts out the back door!

I think you have to be wary of what you have posted. Such unverified accusations can lead you to unnecessary legal actions.
                    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

PLEASE IGNORE STUPID COMMENTS - my 13year old son's friend thought it would be cool to cause trouble!!!!

Agreed Rolex is expensive BUT THEY ARE 100% HONEST!

Originally posted by Archie42 View Post

Comment

Noted. Tx.
                        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by minimerc View Post
                          ...i learnt from a trained rolex technicianfor older and vintage watches, it may be necessary to overhaul the watch.

a watch does > 20k vibrations per hour, > many billions vibrations per year. A wore out part can easily put stress on neighbouring components which eventually leads to "complete breakdown" of whole mechanism... thats why old watches lose their accuracy and "power reserve" after many years unless major overhaul is done.

those simple oiling servicing package will only add more damage to the vintage watch in long run.

imagine topping up engine oil without flushing out the old oil out, all the micro dust and metal fillings will slowly grind away the delicate parts (imagine the many billions vibrations a watch does per year)
                          i don't fully agree with your watch maker. it is true that watches require a full service from time to time. i do not dispute that watches CAN and DO wear out other parts from a lack of service.

however, a watch with a low beat rate or low usage rate will probably not benefit as much from a service, as when compared to a watch with a high beat or a watch that is in use constantly.

as a corollary, if both are worn daily, a low beat 1570 can go on longer without a service when compared to a high beat 3035. in the same vein, worn daily without a service: a rolex (valjoux) 72/72x/722 will out last a 4030, and a rolex 4030 will out last a zenith 400 (same base calibre).

as such, especially when not regularly used, SOME watches (read my last line below) will benefit from a simple oil and adjust job (and gasket change) - tearing down such a watch is not always entirely necessary, and more harm could arise from it (ie, wear on "expendable" parts like the hands and tube, or god forbid, the pinion).

others feel that simply opening the case subjects the movement to external moisture and dust, which may in turn, cause more damage than internally caused grit.

therefore, i stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't touch it adage" - if you know your watch, you'll know when it's time to service it.

examples can be found in unsusual behavior, sounds or feedback from the watch when you handle it. if you don't know your watch, you probably aren't wearing it oftn enough.

your engine oil change example, although useful and apt, is too simplistic because the distance/service sticker is only a recommendation of how regularly an owner should change the oil (and other parts).

the true indicator depends on how hard/little the engine has been used. if you drive a toyota hard, you will need to change oil sooner than the indicated mileage. if you drive a porsche gently, you can go for longer than indicated.

service mileage is only a manufacturer recommendation and not a rule. the same applies to mechanical watches.

if the engine has been idle for a long... long time... an oil change is needed to get rid of old oil that has sat at the bottom near the sump for far too long - it is now useless as an engine lubricant due to (a lack of) coverage a change in viscuosity.

therefore an adage recommends that we shake or wind our unworn watch(es) once every 2 or so weeks - the same frequency applies to starting up an engine of an undriven car. such watches, IMO, benefit most from a COA job.
                          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                            i don't fully agree with your watch maker. it is true that watches require a full service from time to time. i do not dispute that watches CAN and DO wear out other parts from a lack of service.

however, a watch with a low beat rate or low usage rate will probably not benefit as much from a service, as when compared to a watch with a high beat or a watch that is in use constantly.

as a corollary, if both are worn daily, a low beat 1570 can go on longer without a service when compared to a high beat 3035. in the same vein, worn daily without a service: a rolex (valjoux) 72/72x/722 will out last a 4030, and a rolex 4030 will out last a zenith 400 (same base calibre).

as such, especially when not regularly used, SOME watches (read my last line below) will benefit from a simple oil and adjust job (and gasket change) - tearing down such a watch is not always entirely necessary, and more harm could arise from it (ie, wear on "expendable" parts like the hands and tube, or god forbid, the pinion).

others feel that simply opening the case subjects the movement to external moisture and dust, which may in turn, cause more damage than internally caused grit.

therefore, i stick to the "if it ain't broke, don't touch it adage" - if you know your watch, you'll know when it's time to service it.

examples can be found in unsusual behavior, sounds or feedback from the watch when you handle it. if you don't know your watch, you probably aren't wearing it oftn enough.

your engine oil change example, although useful and apt, is too simplistic because the distance/service sticker is only a recommendation of how regularly an owner should change the oil (and other parts).

the true indicator depends on how hard/little the engine has been used. if you drive a toyota hard, you will need to change oil sooner than the indicated mileage. if you drive a porsche gently, you can go for longer than indicated.

service mileage is only a manufacturer recommendation and not a rule. the same applies to mechanical watches.

if the engine has been idle for a long... long time... an oil change is needed to get rid of old oil that has sat at the bottom near the sump for far too long - it is now useless as an engine lubricant due to (a lack of) coverage a change in viscuosity.

therefore an adage recommends that we shake or wind our unworn watch(es) once every 2 or so weeks - the same frequency applies to starting up an engine of an undriven car. such watches, IMO, benefit most from a COA job.
                            thanks bro. always good to learn something new everyday from all the masters here.
                            Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                            Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                            GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                            GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                            DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                            DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                            , 18238 malachite
                            DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                            AP 15300 Black
                            Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                            GP 18k RG
                            IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                            Chronoswiss Skeleton
                            Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

I am also fed up with RSC. As mentioned by other, you simply can't get a vintage part repaired or changed without them insisting you change almost everything and polish the watch. Worst, if they detect any signs of polishing on the areas near the lugs, they won't service saying the serial numbers have been tempered....they don't even open the watch and check all the parts inside to see if it's original or not!

So, if you own a 40 year old vintage that has some wear (esp at the serial num area), they won't service.

All said, a few rolex trained technician at next door lucky plaza can do the same simple servicing at less than half the cost....minus all the threats and non-commitment of any mishap to your vintage.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X