Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying vintage rolexes from reputable sellers..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying vintage rolexes from reputable sellers..

Hi all,

Would just like to ask the experienced people here as I am totally new to the world of vintage rolex watches..

Am eyeing either a 5513 or a 1680 from a reputable 2nd hand shop (will not name cos I'm not sure if it's against forum rules and if it's fair to the seller).. But I'm not sure what I need to "look out for" as I heard that parts such as the dial etc may have been changed down the line which may drastically affect the value of the watch.. Which is the reason I have been very hesitant about going for vintage watches.. It's one thing searching the forums to see what the old birds do, it's another thing when you're there and don't really know what you're looking at..

My question is if it's a renowned seller with quite solid reputation, is it OK to take it at face value that the watch is OK? Or is there much more I need to check out before plunging in..

Thanks for your time...

it really depends how particular you are. if you are really particular, then the watch may not be what you are looking for. however, if you are not really particular, then you may want to discuss with the shop if it is possible for you to bring to RSC to authenticate.

click here for more information.

click here for dial variants.

if you are going to be particular, then things you need to look out for,

1) case - serial number of case matches that of the dial and vice versa
    2) is the case over polished?
    3) crown - is it replaced? is it the right type aka 3 dots @ the bottom of crown
    4) is the bracelet using the correct end links?

5) is the bracelet clasp code matching to the case number as case number gives a estimate production year period.
    6) is the case pitted?

the list goes on.

what RSC and shop (may or may not) be able to tell you is the dial meant for the case, the clasps code matching the serial number on case etc.

Originally posted by inzaghi84 View Post
    Hi all,

Would just like to ask the experienced people here as I am totally new to the world of vintage rolex watches..

Am eyeing either a 5513 or a 1680 from a reputable 2nd hand shop (will not name cos I'm not sure if it's against forum rules and if it's fair to the seller).. But I'm not sure what I need to "look out for" as I heard that parts such as the dial etc may have been changed down the line which may drastically affect the value of the watch.. Which is the reason I have been very hesitant about going for vintage watches.. It's one thing searching the forums to see what the old birds do, it's another thing when you're there and don't really know what you're looking at..

My question is if it's a renowned seller with quite solid reputation, is it OK to take it at face value that the watch is OK? Or is there much more I need to check out before plunging in..

Thanks for your time...
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Check out Monster Time. They have some vintage sport rolex every now and then.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

think thread starter already isolated a shop already. believe seller needs opinion on whether to trust the shop or otherwise.

unless you are recommending thread starter to pay your recommended shop a visit because the shop sells vintage rolex which the case number matches that of the dial and clasps code and other finer details?

Originally posted by inzaghi84 View Post
        Hi all,
        Am eyeing either a 5513 or a 1680 from a reputable 2nd hand shop (will not name cos I'm not sure if it's against forum rules and if it's fair to the seller).. It's one thing searching the forums to see what the old birds do, it's another thing when you're there and don't really know what you're looking at.Thanks for your time...
        Originally posted by pegasi View Post
        Check out Monster Time. They have some vintage sport rolex every now and then.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
        2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Or you can buy from me....haha.

Just joking but I do have both pieces. They are nice vintages to wear and admire.

Comment

if you selling, let me know hor..thanks.

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
            Or you can buy from me....haha.

Just joking but I do have both pieces. They are nice vintages to wear and admire.

kindly email with
            2. your nick

Comment

I think a lot of time u need to do research on whats the important thing because most of the time the sellers will not tell you the flaw of the watches u interested in....nobody will jeopardize themselves...
              But if theres something not original and serious there, a responsible seller must declare...eg...if the case is a replacement case, tritium hands repaced with luminova etc..etc...however, I think as long as certain parts are replaced with period correct parts, then its ok.

Comment

The white 1680 and 5513 are common pieces so try and find one with as nice a dial as possible. There aren't too many dial variants to worry about regarding corresponding serials etc etc unlike the Red Sub or DRSD. In particular, I would look for one with matching tritium hands. Those with replaced luminova hands look odd and finding a matching pair of tritium hands will be very difficult. There is plenty of info on the web so look at as many images as possible before taking the plunge.

Regards,

Eugene
                Navalwatch@blogspot.com

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X