is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this normal?

today my DJ stopped so i unscrewed the crown to wind it manually. i could hear the gears turning but the second hand still didnt move at all. i wound it a few rounds but still nothing happened. i then shook the watch a few times and it finally started moving. is this normal? isn't the manual winding supposed to power the watch up? my parents always manually wind their DJs when they stopped.

I have read somewhere that some said this is normal, but to me this is not normal. It should mean that it's time to send the watch for servicing.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Sometimes such features are possible. If you are not sure, send it for a check and see what they say. Most likely the lubricants are used. Do check.

Comment

U shd "swirl" the watch first before manually winding it. Seconds hand will start to move before u wind it.
        Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
        Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
        GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
        GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
        DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
        DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
        , 18238 malachite
        DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
        AP 15300 Black
        Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
        GP 18k RG
        IWC Port 3714 Chrono
        Chronoswiss Skeleton
        Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

Originally posted by minimerc View Post
          U shd "swirl" the watch first before manually winding it. Seconds hand will start to move before u wind it.
          What's the difference between swirling the watch before and after manually winding it?

I just did a test with 2 of my automatic watches with manual winding capability - a Rolex GMT 2C and a Laco with ETA movement. I manually winded up the watches from complete stop, keeping the watches still in the process. In both cases the second hand started to move after a few winds.

Comment

btw bros. i think i have encountered this in pre-owned shops before too. watch was sleeping. i manually wind. nothing happened. shook it a lil, woke up.

Comment

You need to wind a few round to move a completely stopped sec hand. Shaking it a bit also can achieve.

Comment

quite normal, happened to my sub and exp2 too

Comment

Erh...I think some bros mixed up "normal" with "common". While TS case is quite common due to that many people do not send their watches for servicing until there is a problem, it is not normal that a watch with manual winding feature needs to be shaked to start ticking.

It is probably not a big problem but signals that the movement requires cleaning and re-lubricating (=servicing).

Comment

maybe i just didnt wind enough as bro kck suggested. cos i wound like maybe 3 rounds then i kan cheong already. started shaking it instead. lol.

Comment

I notice this with my Exp2....if I did not wear it for sometime (say 1 week)....the second hand does not move even if I wind like 20-turns....need a swirl like the bros here say.

but if I did not wear it for say just 2 days and it stopped, I usually can manage to get the second hand moving by winding around 10 turns

I hope this does not mean my watch is due for servicing as it is only 3 years old....but I do notice that my other automatic watches' second hands take a lot less turns to move compared to the rollie no matter how long it did not wear them for...

Comment

If completely stopped, need to wind quite a few time to kickstart.

I reckon need 10 wind before seconds hand moving. Usually I do 20 wind then set time n date.

I have no winder so always have to set time. After around 40 winds, didn't really count, you can feel the slipping clutch.
                        Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

so im glad to know my watch is relatively normal. but i probably should service it soon anyway. thanks to all bros for advice!

Comment

i'm also a newbie, was told my watch technicician the following: see if anyone can confimr if this is a myth or fact:
                            both are different ways of powering up an auto watch. manual windiing 1 rounds ~ 2 hours of power, whereas "swirling" probably provides a mninute of power. the latter is a more gentle way of feeding power to a very starved watch and it causes less wear to the power mechanism.
                            Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                            What's the difference between swirling the watch before and after manually winding it?

I just did a test with 2 of my automatic watches with manual winding capability - a Rolex GMT 2C and a Laco with ETA movement. I manually winded up the watches from complete stop, keeping the watches still in the process. In both cases the second hand started to move after a few winds.
                            Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                            Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                            GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                            GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                            DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                            DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                            , 18238 malachite
                            DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                            AP 15300 Black
                            Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                            GP 18k RG
                            IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                            Chronoswiss Skeleton
                            Corum Bubble Lucifer

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...