No announcement yet.

To Buy Day-Date 19018 or 18038 (18K YG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Buy Day-Date 19018 or 18038 (18K YG)

Day-Date 19018 or 18038 (18K full solid YG gold)

If you are given a choice which one will you pick up?

Both come complete with paper and condition at 90%, pricing is the same. Personally, i love the DD Quartz 19018 retro look, very hard to come by. Where DD 18038 can be seen anywhere, I would said almost all pre-own dealers in Singapore will have a few pieces for you to choice from.

Please give your choice and view....thks

Given a choice, I will choose a full set oysterquartz. Even thought quartz may not be
    as popular as mech day date. But hey, the solid gold one is even rarer. That is the
    novelty of it.

There is also no more of it. Very slim chance Rolex will revive the range.

And I like the loud tick.

No winder required. Sure accurate.

Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

i never owned one, but i recall batteries are free from RSC... ; )
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
        Given a choice, I will choose a full set oysterquartz. Even thought quartz may not be
        as popular as mech day date. But hey, the solid gold one is even rarer. That is the
        novelty of it.

There is also no more of it. Very slim chance Rolex will revive the range.

And I like the loud tick.

No winder required. Sure accurate.

Thanks for the pictures bro, i'm deeply in love with her!!!

Originally posted by taxico View Post
        i never owned one, but i recall batteries are free from RSC... ; )
        Last year, i send my 17000 to RSC and was charged S$60 for the replacement of the cell, collect on the spot......this year I was told it's FOC! but can only collect watch 3 days later...process as it's FOC

Comment

Originally posted by SamGMT View Post
          Last year, i send my 17000 to RSC and was charged S$60 for the replacement of the cell, collect on the spot......this year I was told it's FOC! but can only collect watch 3 days later...process as it's FOC
          Wow its FOC now?

Time to look for one. SS that is.
          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
            Wow its FOC now?

Time to look for one. SS that is.
            Confirm with stamp! Free replacement, no charge at all. I'm surprise too, however got to wait 3 days. The $60 can help me pay for the carpark fee and petrol...hehe

Btw, seller asking for $12,500 for his 19018...original dial with 10 diamonds, die die no nego on price...guess he know I'm deeply in love with her...still thinking to get it a not...

Comment

Very beautiful piece and the most retro looking rolex imo!
              The style of the case and bracelet is really unique
              My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
              1) WG DIA 18239
              2) YG DIA 18238
              3) WG 18239
              4) YG 18238
              5) YG 18248G Bark
              6) WG DIA 18039
              7) WG 18039
              8) YG 18038
              9) Tridor DIA 18039B
              10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
              11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
              12) WG 1803
              13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
              1)GMT II 116718 18K
              2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
              1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
              2)D15037 14k
              3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Stay away from the Quartz Day Date.
                There is a good reason the Quartz Day Date is hard to find..... NOBODY WANTED IT WHEN NEW!

The quartz movement is also a potential timebomb. When/if it breaks you are up for an $$$$ Rolex service centre service. A friend spend over $1500- repairing a 17000 in steel!

Whilst I love the lines of the OysterQuartz - I am fearful of the potential dramas if something goes wrong. Also the movement is only likely to last 20 years.... it is probably already that old.

Go for a mechanical piece.... much more reliable in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Archie42 View Post
                  Stay away from the Quartz Day Date.
                  There is a good reason the Quartz Day Date is hard to find..... NOBODY WANTED IT WHEN NEW!

The quartz movement is also a potential timebomb. When/if it breaks you are up for an $$$$ Rolex service centre service. A friend spend over $1500- repairing a 17000 in steel!

Whilst I love the lines of the OysterQuartz - I am fearful of the potential dramas if something goes wrong. Also the movement is only likely to last 20 years.... it is probably already that old.

Go for a mechanical piece.... much more reliable in the long run.
                  your comment about a quartz movement being a "potential time bomb" is highly explosive too.

i think without additional information, nobody should assume a rolex quartz movement is inferior simply because it's a quartz... there are strengths and weaknesses in the different types of movements.

if the movement was damaged by using a wrong battery cell or water, then you can't blame it for being inferior... quartz movements require minimal maintenance, and in theory AND practice, it should be much cheaper to "service" (COA - no "overhaul") than a mechanical movement.

i don't see why anyone should shy away from a well maintained oyster quartz in good condition (inside and out).

"nobody wanted it when new" probably had more to do with the pricing when compared to other quartz watches of its time than the engineering/quality of the movement...
                  “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Dilemma!!!

Comment

If its about value and trading later, IMO right now oysterquartz not so popular.
                      Future trading value. No one can tell. Not popular when new includes 6451, 1019, 1655, 6263...
                      Pls correct me if I m wrong.

Novelty and rarity, yes.
                      If I have money to spare I will get the beautiful oysterquartz.
                      DD can always find later easily.

Comment

To add, yes oysterquartz indeed need to change battery before it leaks or
                        it may be costly. Now FOC so no problem.

For RSC.. haiz.

6694 overhaul 1K

Sub LV green bezel insert as posted $450.

They are going AP direction???

Comment

Still in dilemma, ammunition loaded...to pull the trigger or not. Or to keep the ammunition on next target?

Comment

i quote:

My low cost Tissot quartz is 28 years old and is still running fine at a few seconds per month accuracy in spite of being a little knocked about and suffering battery changes and servicing every 4 years. It uses a Swiss quality quartz movement with 6 jewels and according to the guy that does the servicing (he has also been servicing Cartier and Rolex for 43 years), the reason its still going is down to
                            a) the build quality and component selection used in the movement
                            b) the 6 jewels added to the movement.

Now he is fully aware of the argument that a quartz watch theoretically does not need jewels because the drive train is not under transverse pressure from a mechanical spring, but he says there is still wear happening due to dust that can get in through the winder stem as my model is not a divers watch and not sealed. The adoption of adding jewels and using regular servicing of cleaning those bearings and oiling is what prevents the movement crapping out.

I expressed surprise but when pushed further on the subject he told me that he has serviced thousands of quartz watches in his span as a watchmaker and without exception all the quartz movements that were non jewelled that have passed through his hands were turned to trash inside 15 years. Those with jewels usually just keep on going. Any likelihood of failure in a jeweled movement due to coil, chip, pcb or quartz will happen within the first couple of years if the components are faulty, (in keeping with the bathtub curve of electronic component failure in consumer products).

In short he is saying if the movement is a jeweled, quality Swiss manufacture and is over two years old, it will probably keep going forever with proper servicing at battery change time. When I mentioned that Seiko are not Swiss and have produced quartz movements without jewels he replied that at one time the early Seiko quartz watches used to fail, (although he admitted the failures tended to be in the electronics department not the mechanical bearings and wheels).

About batteries: all watch batteries can leak. There is NO such thing as a leak proof primary cell watch battery. Obviously the button cell case and nylon gasket design are designed not to leak and are very reliable especially when using the Swatch owned Renata batteries. BUT if they do leak they WILL damage the quartz movement if you don't get it out and cleaned up pronto.

NOW I WILL BLOW A MYTH OUT THE UNIVERSE. Everyone feel free to pass the message on.

The myth is that silver oxide button cell watch batteries are somehow more reliable and leak proof than alkaline batteries. Ha friggin ha!@ Well folks surprise surprise time. All silver oxide button cell batteries ARE ALKALINE. They contain exactly the same sodium and potassium hydroxide alkaline corrosive chemicals as those other so called different alkaline batteries. The only difference is that the button cell case and crimp construction manages to keep the alkaline in place a lot better.

What should I do if my quartz watch stops? Get the watch serviced pronto. It will either need a new battery because the potential charge remaining in the cell can no longer power the coil and stepper motor
                            or the battery has developed a fault. Either way you do not want to delay getting the watch to the service guy. Even if the battery has not developed a RARE fault, once the remaining cell energy is discharged to zero the potential for the alkaline electrolyte to start 'creeping' within the case structure will increase.

ALWAYS use a quality name battery from an industry standard distribution source (which is another reason to pay to have the battery changed than to try and do it yourself with a battery that you have no clue where its came from (before it got to the local supermarket). Renata is about the best of the bunch but I would never buy a Renata battery from ebay or other than from a name jeweller or watch maker.

(no - in case anyone is wondering I don't work for Renata, but I do have over 40 years in electronics - including power system design).
                            http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/life...ml#post1283692

Comment

Originally posted by SamGMT View Post
                              Still in dilemma, ammunition loaded...to pull the trigger or not. Or to keep the ammunition on next target?
                              bro, sounds like you got 2nd tots... maybe sleep on it for awhile more before you shoot? happy hunting and waiting for your pics for next watch!
                              相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X