Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rolex Explorer II 2011??

Hi,

I'm a Rolex newbie fan.... switching over from Omega.

I was considering getting the Rolex Explorer II (White dial) but i read
    about this rumor of a new Explorer II.
    It was meant to be launched this year but Rolex decide to pull it out and
    push the release to 2011.

I got this rumor from
    http://precisiontime.blogspot.com/20...ing-rolex.html

And 2011 is the 40th anniversary of the Rolex Explorer so there is also rumors of a special edition Explorer II next year.

Like to hear from the you ... if I should wait for the possible new Explorer or just buy the current model? A Steve McQueen Explorer in 2011??
    I know Omega is very fond of releasing special edition watches... like James Bond... Moon landing .... etc
    But not sure about Rolex....

Is there a premium to pay for these special edition Rolex?

Pls advise. Thank you very much

Megatron

New Rolex Explorer II 2011??

Hi,

I'm a Rolex newbie fan... switching over from Omega

I have my eyes set on the Rolex Explorer II ( white dial ) until
    i read about rumors of a new Rolex Explorer II, to be launched in 2011.
    Got the info from here

Should I wait ? a possible Steve McQueen Explorer with the orange hand??
    2011 is the 40th anniversary of the Explorer II so will Rolex release a special edition?

Not familiar with Rolex but i do know that Omega is very fond of releasing special edition watches .. .James Bond, Moon landing, Olympic... etc
    Is there a high premium for Rolex special editions?

Pls advise. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by megatron View Post
      Hi,

Got the info from here

2011 is the 40th anniversary of the Explorer II so will Rolex release a special edition?

Not familiar with Rolex but i do know that Omega is very fond of releasing special edition watches .. .James Bond, Moon landing, Olympic... etc

Pls advise. Thank you

Hi Megatron

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the article. From what I observe in the pics, yes does appear the 'basel 2011' Expl II is introducing the steve mcqueen orange gmt hand and quite possibly also the maxi dial (hands, markers do look bigger) and orange Explorer II words. The bezel still appears steel so no change to ceramic which the other sports model like gmtiic and sub have already introduced. also do not appear to have changed to a triplock crown either.

Personally, I doubt a 40-year anni watch edition would be introduced as it is usually the 'green' edition issued to mark 50-year anni.

juz my 2c...

But if indeed this is a basel 2011 showcase, cant wait to have a look...

Cheers

Comment

Hi,

Got the info from here

Pls advise. Thank you
        I am both an Omega and Rolex collector. For Omega, the current hottest watch now is the Planet Ocean " Liquid Metal ". Another collectible series is the Omega Speedmaster. Their latest limited edition is the Apollo Soyuz with the meteorite dial. And yes...next year there will be an all new Rolex Explorer 2. Take your time to study and purchase according to what u really want. Good luck : )

Comment

actually, its anyone's guess if Rolex will really introduce the new Explorer II. They have always been pretty secretive on their new releases.

Althou the chances of it being introduced at the moment in Basel 2011 seem pretty high due to the leakage of the footage and stuff, but there is no telling that Rolex may eventually decide not to release it for whatever reason.

btw, just curious but what made u switch from Omega to Rolex? Both make great watches.
          I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

if you like the current exp2, just get it. if you buy pre-owned, you won't lose much money (if at all) when you sell it 12-20 months later.

and if the "new" explorer 2 gets released next year, it won't arrive on our shores before the first half of 2011, and that's quite a long time to wait!

i doubt you can/should wait so long. ; ) and like what someone said... who knows if rolex WILL release a "new" explorer 2 next year!
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Hi all,

I still love my Omega Seamaster... my first expensive watch.
              I took 6 months to read up about this watch, its history and who are the
              people who owns this watch...
              The watch is still going strong..

Was plannning to get the 40th anniversary Apollo 11 landing Speedmaster..
              but i notice that this watch isn't selling well at the ADs.
              Even the Omega boutique tells me that the sales has been slow...

So rather than spending my money on this Speedmaster... I thought i try other watch brands... IWC, Rolex...

On my watchlist are the IWC Pilot Chrono and the Rolex Explorer II.
              The Rolex Sub is a nice watch but a close match to my current Omega Seamaster.

Yep... its going to be tought to wait till 2nd half 2011 for the new Explorer II but if its going to be like the Steve McQueen's explorer then I think its worth waiting for it... Steve McQueen is the epitome of 'Cool'

Comment

close?far from it.

Comment

Hi all,

I still love my Omega Seamaster... my first expensive watch.
                  I took 6 months to read up about this watch, its history and who are the
                  people who owns this watch...
                  The watch is still going strong..

Was plannning to get the 40th anniversary Apollo 11 landing Speedmaster..
                  but i notice that this watch isn't selling well at the ADs.
                  Even the Omega boutique tells me that the sales has been slow...

So rather than spending my money on this Speedmaster... I thought i try other watch brands... IWC, Rolex...

On my watchlist are the IWC Pilot Chrono and the Rolex Explorer II.

Yep... its going to be tought to wait till 2nd half 2011 for the new Explorer II but if its going to be like the Steve McQueen's explorer then I think its worth waiting for it... Steve McQueen is the epitome of 'Cool'

No offence, I find the current white face expl 2 one of the nicest rolex sports model. to try and bring back the steve mcqueen gmt into current model makes it abit odd and alittle 'rojak' looking... just imho.

Rolex Sub and Omega Seamaster PO are always compared to each other in watch reviews... so I agree they are not too far apart asthetically and functionally - maybe just price wise and that Sub has got a longer tradition / list of die hards...

Comment

i think the OP was talking about the 1655'esque explorer 2...

and it's worth noting steve mcqueen wore a sub for the longest time.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

good info

Comment

If you like the Exp II design now, I would jump into it now rather than wait for the new version, unless some of the additional or different features is what you desire.....esp if the existing version is discont (will it?) after the launch of the new version

I made the mistake with the GMTII.....waited too long until it got discont with the GMTIIc.....didn't like the c, so din end up getting it...

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                          i think the OP was talking about the 1655'esque explorer 2...

and it's worth noting steve mcqueen wore a sub for the longest time.
                          Agree. The 1655 has nothing to do with Steve Mcqueen. SM wore a 5512 all his life.

Comment

Hi TTGMTIIC,

you are absolutely right about Rolex Sub and Omega Seamaster PO being not too far apart asthetically and functionally... but there will always be die hards who cannot stand even such a simple comparison ...

thanks for sharing your view about the current white face expl 2... appreciate it...Cheers

Originally posted by TTGMTIIC View Post
                            No offence, I find the current white face expl 2 one of the nicest rolex sports model. to try and bring back the steve mcqueen gmt into current model makes it abit odd and alittle 'rojak' looking... just imho.

Rolex Sub and Omega Seamaster PO are always compared to each other in watch reviews... so I agree they are not too far apart asthetically and functionally - maybe just price wise and that Sub has got a longer tradition / list of die hards...

Comment

Originally posted by KuchingKu View Post
                              Agree. The 1655 has nothing to do with Steve Mcqueen. SM wore a 5512 all his life.
                              yup... read that, prob the 1655 continues to gets termed just as the SM expl simply out of convenience or something...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X