Resale Value: Gold versus Steel Sports Rolexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resale Value: Gold versus Steel Sports Rolexes

Is this true generally that All-Steel versions of sports Rolexes (Submariner, GMT etc) hold their resale value better than their gold or half-gold counterparts?

Is there really higher demand for All Steel Subs and GMT's? Are they easier to sell than GOld versions?

When selling a gold or half-gold Sub or GMT, do you normally get back the difference you paid over an all-steel model?

Anyone can explain the reasons for this?

Thanks!

the resale value is partly affected by the demand and supply.

generally the price of half gold models command a higher resale price except for daytona. this applies only for the standard face dial aka black or white, not those special dials.

Originally posted by dsdfan99 View Post
    Is this true generally that All-Steel versions of sports Rolexes (Submariner, GMT etc) hold their resale value better than their gold or half-gold counterparts?

Is there really higher demand for All Steel Subs and GMT's? Are they easier to sell than GOld versions?

When selling a gold or half-gold Sub or GMT, do you normally get back the difference you paid over an all-steel model?

Anyone can explain the reasons for this?

Thanks!
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I am not sure why SS can retains better resale value... maybe is it because Gold will oxidized if you don't wear the watch over years but steel wouldn't... am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
        I am not sure why SS can retains better resale value... maybe is it because Gold will oxidized if you don't wear the watch over years but steel wouldn't... am I right?
        NOt really la...it's SUPPLY AND DEMAND hahaha

People are willing to pay ridiculous prices for Daytona steel models coz of the recent craze or well not that recent though ahha..but it's still going on.
        Last edited by Darkangel; 01-06-08, 10:11 PM.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

People are willing to pay ridiculous prices for Daytona steel models coz of the recent craze or well not that recent though ahha..but it's still going on.
          thats right apply your study to this scenario
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
            thats right apply your study to this scenario
            Applied it even b4 I studied econs hahaha... now applying it just makes me feel worse...it just reminds me of the boring classes

Comment

True, demand and supply play a major part in pricing...

For demand, lets take my experience 5 years ago, I got my Sub SS at a discount but ExpII was selling at a premium. Recently I just bought a ExpII at a discount and I heard there is little or no discount for the Sub.

In terms of supply, I think it is very stable one... just how "crazy" the market is, if the market is crazy for GMTII now, everyone buy and keep... on the other hand, ExpII is not hot, ppl start to throw to the market and ADs also can't sell, price drop loh...

BUT the main question is why the price appreciation for SS is far greater than gold models????

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Comment

generally the price of half gold models command a higher resale price???
                I thought SS models command a higher resale price?
                Originally posted by triton View Post
                the resale value is partly affected by the demand and supply.

generally the price of half gold models command a higher resale price except for daytona. this applies only for the standard face dial aka black or white, not those special dials.

Comment

generally the price of half gold models command a higher resale price???
                  I thought SS models command a higher resale price?
                  I think...firstly depends on the model. For example Datejust,that time I saw a TT and SS datejust,both same price. I was like

True, demand and supply play a major part in pricing...

BUT the main question is why the price appreciation for SS is far greater than gold models????
                  Your answer is in ur post.... why a SS model can cost more than a TT model...that you have to blame idiots who spoil the market lor...and the other idiots that follow the trend

Comment

Actually there is another "theory" I heard from someone... forgot who lah...

SS vs. Gold

You pay S$17K++ for SS Daytona vs S$30K++ for White Gold Daytona... you pay double but both watch looks like twins... so why ppl rather pay a premium for the SS model than White gold model.... Also with $30k++ in hand, you can get many many many many other more stylooo watches.... so why get the Gold Sport model when your Girlfriends can't even tell whether you are wearing White Gold or Steel watch....

Comment

Actually there is another "theory" I heard from someone... forgot who lah...

SS vs. Gold

You pay S$17K++ for SS Daytona vs S$30K++ for White Gold Daytona... you pay double but both watch looks like twins... so why ppl rather pay a premium for the SS model than White gold model.... Also with $30k++ in hand, you can get many many many many other more stylooo watches.... so why get the Gold Sport model when your Girlfriends can't even tell whether you are wearing White Gold or Steel watch....
                      Yeah I do agree with that...for example a President DJ/DD in plat or WG...to a normal person it looks SS...even watch lovers cannot tell if plat or WG in normal circumstances unless that see the markings.

for gold watch,i would prefer yellow or rose gold 1s...others dun look gold at all...haha

Comment

Personally, I prefer SS watches as I tend to buy watches for their movements and /or design rather than precious metal. So far, only own 1 WG watch (i.e., my WG AP Jules Audemars 3120 Classic) and that's meant as my official 'dress watch'
                        运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

SEE! Any watch lover supported the "theory". If 2 pieces of daytona with very very similar design and one cost double because one is WG and the other is steel, most ppl will get the SS one... cos ppl buy watches for their movements and /or design rather than precious metal

Originally posted by psee View Post
                          Personally, I prefer SS watches as I tend to buy watches for their movements and /or design rather than precious metal. So far, only own 1 WG watch (i.e., my WG AP Jules Audemars 3120 Classic) and that's meant as my official 'dress watch'

Comment

The mark-up for precious metal is much higher than SS. I personally like SS, maybe my taste would change when I am getting older
                            [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
                            [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
                            [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
                            [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
                            [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
                            [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

YES! You're right! This is also another theory! In terms of $/gram for raw material, the watch makers have mark-up too much for WG and other precious metals... if you look at it this way, it is really not worth buying a gold watch...

Originally posted by Hary View Post
                              The mark-up for precious metal is much higher than SS. I personally like SS, maybe my taste would change when I am getting older

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X