Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to service my Datejust other than rolex house (expensive)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to service my Datejust other than rolex house (expensive)?

Anybody know where I can service my 20 yr old rolex datejust? I dont want to service it at the rolex house because its too expensive.

Any trusted place where I can service my Rolex?

Thanks

let me recount a cautionary tale...

i had a 20+ year old rolex datejust for service, so earlier last year, i sent it to a local ex-rolex tech's shop. a lot of shops send pieces to him for work also.

the movement needed the usual wear and tear parts replaced - the rotor axle and main spring..

his service charge was $350. both parts i had in my own stockpile, but let's assume $175 for both parts. (the watch shop quoted me $350 for those two parts)

service over, and i picked it up. the watch was washed and it flooded. i brought it back to him and left it with him to figure out what was wrong and he said tube and crown needed to be changed as that is where the water entered.

i asked why this wasn't changed at the time of service, he said it tested okay at the time - i don't believe he tested it because i know it will be an extra charge, but i didn't dispute it either because i never specifically requested for it and just assumed it will be water-tight (my mistake).

so he said he will dry everything out but movement MUST be disassembled and recleaned... and re-oiled... and re-adjusted... ie, it must be reserviced again. another $350. i told him to set aside after cleaning and drying while i look for parts.

then my education in datejust 5.3mm tube vs 6mm crown madness began. thankfully i had friends to trade parts with and after a long time, i finally confirmed i had the right pair (actually i'm still not sure) and sent it to the watch shop.

for calculation's sake, let's assume tube and crown are $175 combined (it is waaay more than $175)... so my total costs are:

350 + 175 + 350 + 175 = more than 1k... ON A NORMAL 3135-based DATEJUST... !!! with 6 month warranty...!!!

if you go to RSC, you get all the wear and tear parts mentioned above changed at a very nominal cost (because most are already included in the basic service price), and it is pressure tested AND 2 year international rolex warranty.

in the past when the warranty was 1 year, i think it was overpriced. now that it's also a 2-year service warranty in singapore, i strongly recommend it.

of course, if you have a stockpile of parts, then it's a little bit safer to use an outside watch shop... but i would prefer to save my parts than use them on a watch still accepted (no questions asked) by rolex for service.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

wow so scary. Looks like the guy purposely damage your rolex to pile up the cost.

Comment

ya. pay abit more in rolex service center than regretting it..

Comment

for parts replacements probably better to go RSC where they will do a complete check.

normal servicing without any major problems can try outside at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by gri13
            I will never go to third party
            Only rolex center for me
            Only Rolex center for me too

Comment

We have pay quite a fair bit for our Rollie therefore i think it is best to send in to RSC.
              Safer and a peace of mind for the next few years (IMO)

Comment

Dear Bros...
                Sorry for side tracking....
                Wanting to change my faded date wheel/disk.
                Called RSC and they keep emphasizing that I would have to do servicing prior to that.
                Are there any alternatives?

Thanks.

Comment

Actually how much is the basic cost to service a DJ at RSC.
                  I'm only aware that Sports series is around $920.

Heard that servicing a ladies DJ is around $510.

Comment

buy the date disc and get someone to swap for you.
                    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

think i will stick to RSC after your horror story

Comment

RSC charges around $1k for overhaul but does that includes the parts for wear and tear?

Comment

From what I understand service = overhaul. The service charges include only basic parts like screws on the movement, crown etc. Crystal, gasket and other major (as they define) are chargeable.

From the booklet of what they do in servicing states that they would disassemble all components of the watch including movement and perform ultrasound cleaning then reassemble and lubricate them.

Comment

rolex service center is the best place to go for servicing rolex
                            on top of the original parts and competent rolex-trained technicians, they give 2 yr warranty and rolex receipt

Comment

Hi taxico,can pm me the shop?(so I can avoid it)
                              Many thanks!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X