Portuguese 7 days running a bit fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese 7 days running a bit fast

Need some advise I have a Portuguese 7 days but it is always running a bit fast. I understand these are not quartz watches and there are some tolerance. Mine is still under warrenty, may just bring it back for regulation. What is acceptable to you guys?
    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Rolex Submariner 116610
    Rolex Date 1550
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

try to keep the power reserve full, which will improve the accuracy. At low power reserve the 7 days tend to run faster. My BP runs at +2-3sec if it's fully wound, when at low reserve it goes up to 6-7 sec.
    [SIZE="2"][U][B]Movement collection:[/B][/U]
    [U]German:[/U] Junghans 687, Durowe 7420
    [U]Russian:[/U] Poljot 3133, Poljot 2612, Vostok
    [U]Chinese:[/U] Seagull
    [U]Japanese:[/U] Seiko(s)
    [U]Swiss:[/U] ETA(s)+Valjoux+Unitas(s), Zenith(s), JLC, Rolex, Lemania(s), IWC[/SIZE]

Comment

my port auto 7days also running a few seconds fast a day.

read somewhere (think the JLC catalogue) that most watch factory tends to regulate their watches to run a few second faster when they come out fr factory, think they prefer the new watches to go faster than slower.

got this fr the faq at timezone, cut n paste here

3.2 How accurate can I expect a [insert brand here] to be?
      This is truly a Frequently Asked Question, in that people will post that they have just bought a new IWC/Rolex/JLC/Revue Thommen/Omega/etc., and it gains/loses X seconds per day - they then ask whether this acceptable for this brand.
      After reading several articles on this subject, I've come to the following conclusions:

Just about any current production watch is capable of running overall within 1-2 seconds/day - this includes relatively inexpensive brands like Hamilton and ORIS, as well as high-end brands like Patek, JLC, and Lange.
      The stability of a given rate can be quite ephemeral, with the instantaneous rate even in a single position varying constantly. This means that the rates for a given watch are constantly drifting - although for higher grade movements the amount of drift tends to be much smaller.
      The question of accuracy is more subtle than it appears on the surface. The reason is that, due to the limits of how small components can be, forces will act on the components differently when worn on the wrist vs. when resting in any particular position. In other words, even a watch which has a daily error rate of 4-5 seconds/day in any single position can be made to show zero overall drift though the combination of wearing the watch and letting it sit overnight in a particular position to compensate for drift obtained during wear.
      A higher quality watch may or may not be more accurate than a lower quality watch at any given instant in time, but it has the potential to be more accurate. The reason is that a higher quality watch has been adjusted to minimize the variation in error in several positions, and has less drift in the rate over time.
      It is a relatively simple operation for a watchmaker to adjust a watch that runs consistentlyfast or slow to near zero error. This operation, which is called regulation - merely increases or decreases the overall rate without compensating for rates in positions.
      Also, the conventional wisdom is that a typical new watch needs to be run-in - in other words, while sitting unused in the jeweler's shop, lubricants pool in certain locations. It takes a couple of months for the lubricants to be properly redistributed, and for the motion to wear away some of the microscopic imperfections that all parts have. Bottom line - let a new watch run for about 2 months before taking it in to be re-regulated.
      "The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...
      the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind.
      If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker." ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

Comment

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
        Need some advise I have a Portuguese 7 days but it is always running a bit fast. I understand these are not quartz watches and there are some tolerance. Mine is still under warrenty, may just bring it back for regulation. What is acceptable to you guys?
        may i know how much you buy for the IWC Portuguese watch?

from where?

as i am intending to buy 1 from hour glass. is that the better choice or do you have other dealer to intro.

regards,

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X