No announcement yet.

Birthday Pressie Indulgence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been a few weeks since I laid hands on the new 42mm Rolex Explorer II and I must say that its impressed me far more than the 39mm Explorer (21470) that I previously had (and quickly disposed of).

==================================

First, it looks better compared to its discontinued ancestor - the 16570. The orange coloured GMT hand and "Explorer" script are refreshing and together with the thicker "mercedes" hour and "sword" minute hands, they contrast perfectly with the white dial to give a crisp, bold look.

Second, Rolex has kept everything awesome about the Explorer 2 and updated some.

The new brushed bracelet features an Oysterlock clasp with the Easylink extension. - thumbs up.

The fully brushed steel bezel with engraved numerals has been kept - drool.

But the main update is its new 42mm size. So how does a 42mm Rolex wear then? Heres a side by side shot with my Daytona (40mm). The additional 2mm, coupled together with the thicker case and lugs gives the watch a more substantial presence.

And here are two wrist shots (both on my wrist of course), one with the 216570 and the other with the 16570. It's immediately obvious that the 216570 has more of a presence. Where once the 16570 might exclaim its presence on your wrist, the 216570 with its refreshing sportier look, bellows.

So what do I not like? In one word - Tapering. There's too much tapering of the bracelet. The bracelet starts off at 21mm at the lugs and by the time it reaches the clasp its only 15mm. That's a whole 6mm narrower!

I get that Rolex is trying to give the Explorer II a dressier look by tapering the bracelet but this is way overdone. I mean most of the time straps / bracelets taper smaller something like 2mm or 4mm max, e.g., 22mm to 20mm or 22mm to 18mm. But 21mm to 15mm?! It's like designing something with the shoulders of Vin Diesel and ending with Natalie Portman's tiny waist...it's going to look slightly unbalanced.

Anyhow, I am a huge huge fan of the 216750, it really is the best thing out of Rolex's stable in recent years. Just wish the bracelet was 2mm thicker at the end.
    My Tumblr
    -------------------
    http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

Wow! Tx for giving us the brief and honest comparison

It makes me love the 16570 more
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

TBH I think I need a 16570 and the 216570 to make "my life complete". I'm gg to try and source for a black 16570 preferably one of the last production series.

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
        Wow! Tx for giving us the brief and honest comparison

It makes me love the 16570 more
        My Tumblr
        -------------------

Comment

Welcome to family

Welcome to the family.. SuperDrive watch

Comment

You have the best present....

Comment

Nice growing collection, kind to share why you think Explorer I is not as nice? Thinking of getting it
              For my wifey.

Comment

Hmm there's only 1 real reason for me and this is just my own opinion. Also, note that I'm a picky bugger.

Simply, there's too much space on the dial. The Exp 1 hands are too short and the rest of the markers seem to be almost the same size as those used in the 36mm version creating alot of empty space in the dial. The feeling is almost like u got a huge living room but only a sofa set sort of vibe.

This is unlike the Exp2 which has gotten bigger hands, a larger orange GMT hand and really really massive lume dots. Therefore, the increased size does not give the sense of emptiness.

Originally posted by DC62 View Post
                Nice growing collection, kind to share why you think Explorer I is not as nice? Thinking of getting it
                For my wifey.
                My Tumblr
                -------------------

Comment

Thanks Bro, still trying to sell the idea of Exp II 16570 black to her as is not so big as in the new 42mm. Still she thinks the Exp I suits her better. Anyway thanks once again.

Comment

Exp II 42mm White is next on my list.
                    Rolex - SUB 116610LV /SUB 116610LN / DSSD 116660 / GMT2C 116710 / Lady DJ 178274
                    Others - Tag Heuer F1 Lady Ceramic
                    / Longines Quartz / Lanvin Quartz

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X