SubC Vs Dssd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SubC Vs Dssd

Its been couple of months now since I got the SubC in addition to my Dssd. I'd like to give my honest personal opinion and review of both excellent divers. I've broken down into different categories and award point to the winner of that category.

Let's begin.

1) Case size, Dial & Bezel

SubC 40mm , Dssd 44mm

As you can see, the difference in case size IS obvious, however, the dial have a small minor difference in finishing. Glossy on the SubC and Satin on the Dssd.

The date on the Dssd does help a lot when worn for work but the SubC dial layout is stunning for its simplicity and symmetry, and one less hassle to set when not worn for couple of days.

The other minor difference is the ceramic bezel. The SubC has minute markers running from the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock while the Dssd has a full 60 minutes markers.

Dssd : Love the satin dial and date complication
    SubC : Dial symmetry and simplicity proves to be a real classic

Winner : SubC

'It ain't how hard you hit;
    it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
    How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done.'

2) Glidelock Vs Glidelock

Both clasps come with a new system called Glidelock as stated in the official Rolex website and both are created for one purpose, to allow fine adjustments of the bracelet without using any tools. However that's where the similarities end as both have different operating mechanism to adjust the bracelet.

The one on the left is the SubC clasps where you have to "pull out" the endlink from the clasps to disengage the locking mechanism before gliding in or out for adjustments and "press down" to engage the locking mechanism.

The one on the right is the Dssd clasps with a much more "advanced" setting where you can actually adjust the bracelet without taking off your Dssd. All you need to do is to "pull out" the lever from the center of the clasps and it will display the rows of teeth and once adjusted, just "press down" the lever and the teeth will lock the adjusted bracelet.

Winner : Dssd

Comment

3) Clasps

First pic : Left SubC , Right Dssd
      Second pic : Bottom SubC , Top Dssd

Clasps are identical for both the SubC and Dssd with the flip lock and dual polished and satin finishes.

The length of the clasps is very very close at approx 45mm though I believe the Dssd is very very slightly longer by maybe 0.3/4 of a millimeter.

Winner : Tie

Comment

4) Caseback/Depth rating

Standard Caseback on the SubC. Nothing fancy, just a clean, bare and dual finishing with the satin and polished SS. Screw down and good to 300m.

Apart from remembering how deep the Dssd can go with the writings at the screw down ring,the Dssd has an exclusive technical innovation, the Ringlock System which consists of three core components :- a grade 5 titanium Caseback, anitrogen-alloyed steel central ring and 5mm thick domed sapphire crystal. And depth? 3900m.

That's 13 times the depth ratings of the SubC and thus the helium valve on the Dssd.

Comment

5) Thickness , Crystal

Apart from the massive sheer size of the Dssd , another prominent difference between the SubC and Dssd is the thickness.

SubC - 12.7mm
          Dssd - 17.7mm

And the other difference which can be clearly seen is the flat crystal on the SubC and dome crystal on the Dssd.

Comment

6) Height

Although this category is nearly identical and similar with the thickness category, the difference is seeing how it sits on the wrist.

It might sound scary knowing how thick the Dssd is, but when worn with a well adjusted sized bracelet, its amazingly comfortable with no issue considering how thick it is. And with that much depth rating (13 times) than the SubC, the thickness is very much wearable considering its capabilities and fortunately not 13times the thickness of the SubC.

Comment

7) Wearability

Both divers are very comfortable and a pleasure to wear be it casual or to the office. Though the Dssd obviously won't fit under the cuff, I tend to wear my watches outside anyway. So no difference there. Which one i wear the most? The winner below will reveal it.

Comment

8) Luminosity

Both divers have the same Chromalight luminosity which is greenish-blue in color and even brightness.

Winner : Tie

Comment

9) Weight

Surely this is an obvious answer as which one is the heavy-weight. The combined weight of the SubC and the Dssd is 359g.

I have been wearing the Dssd (in rotation with other watches) for close to 2 years now, and the SubC for close to 4 months, which mean I am practically immune to the Dssd weight (which I think I am) and thus a bias comparison. Well...I actually love the weight of the SubC more though I wear my Dssd a lot more.

Comment

10) Conclusion

SubC - 3 points
                    Dssd - 4 points
                    Tie - 2

It's very close between these excellent divers. A classic and an engineering marvel. Both of which I enjoy wearing among my others, just that I still enjoy my Dssd a little bit more than the SubC.

Ther are other factors (accuracy,pricing etc etc) which can contribute to the outcome however all comparisons and reviews are based on my own personal choice,opinion and experience, and varies from owner to owner.

p.s. anyone want to guess what's the individual weight of the SubC and Dssd?

Comment

Excellent post, Bro! Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up.

DSSD is a beasty watch!The sub ND looks tiny next to it, haha.

Here is my take... Sub ND. I prefer its size, its thickness, its simplicity and its price tag

Comment

Originally posted by supo3
                        are you sure dssd is more 'wearable' than sub c nd??
                        v
                        v
                        v
                        v
                        v
                        v
                        v

Originally posted by Ryuden View Post
                        6) Height

Although this category is nearly identical and similar with the thickness category, the difference is seeing how it sits on the wrist.

It might sound scary knowing how thick the Dssd is, but when worn with a well adjusted sized bracelet, its amazingly comfortable with no issue considering how thick it is. And with that much depth rating (13 times) than the SubC, the thickness is very much wearable considering its capabilities and fortunately not 13times the thickness of the SubC.

7) Wearability

Both divers are very comfortable and a pleasure to wear be it casual or to the office. Though the Dssd obviously won't fit under the cuff, I tend to wear my watches outside anyway. So no difference there. Which one i wear the most? The winner below will reveal it.

9) Weight

Surely this is an obvious answer as which one is the heavy-weight. The combined weight of the SubC and the Dssd is 359g.

I have been wearing the Dssd (in rotation with other watches) for close to 2 years now, and the SubC for close to 4 months, which mean I am practically immune to the Dssd weight (which I think I am) and thus a bias comparison. Well...I actually love the weight of the SubC more though I wear my Dssd a lot more.

10) Conclusion

It's very close between these excellent divers. A classic and an engineering marvel. Both of which I enjoy wearing among my others, just that I still enjoy my Dssd a little bit more than the SubC.

Ther are other factors (accuracy,pricing etc etc) which can contribute to the outcome however all comparisons and reviews are based on my own personal choice,opinion and experience, and varies from owner to owner.

Yup. Pretty much for me. Will vary from individual to individual.

Comment

Originally posted by hchj View Post
                          Excellent post, Bro! Thanks for taking the time to do the write-up.

DSSD is beasty a watch!The sub ND looks tiny next to it, haha.

Here is my take... Sub ND. I prefer its size, its thickness, its simplicity and its price tag

Thanks Bro.

I couldn't agree more with you on its size, thickness, simplicity and most importantly price.

I am still baffled on why I wear the Dssd more. Maybe I need to get use to the SubC size and weight I guess.

Thanks for dropping by.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by supo3
                              most people say dssd is top heavy hence not 'wearable' as other rolex sports eg daytona, sub, gmt

Totally agree.

It IS top heavy and due to that, most can't wear it the "usual" way, loose.

It have to be fitted as such that it wont be loose enough until it flip all around causing the caseback to be "resting" on the wrist bone (which is very very uncomfortable and at times painful) instead of the wrist itself. And of course, removing the diver extension link improved the comfort level tremendously.

But again, some might be turn off totally with its weight. Maybe I am just used to big heavy watches (Thanks to Panerai), and find that the Dssd is in fact a reasonable size and weight compared to other bigger and heavier watches in the market. Only in the Rolex world, its unconventional, unorthodox and a blasphemy.

It is definitely NOT for everyone...Well, I kind of love it.

Thanks for dropping by to read my review.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X