Orient 40th Anniversay Reissue of the 469 Cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orient 40th Anniversay Reissue of the 469 Cal

Just got a very interesting piece hot off the press from Japan - Orient's 40th Anniversary Reissue of the 469 Cal.
    ================================================== ============
    Orient is celebrating 40 years of its caliber 469 with a limited edition reissue of its King Diver. There are two models available - one in stainless steel and the other in black IP/PVD finish. These babies were just released on September 23, 2011 and I managed to pick up the black IP/PVD one.

With a tonneau shaped case of 45x51mm, this is a big watch. It also sits fairly tall with a height of about 14mm. On the dial you got the King Diver's characteristic stick hands and internal bezel.

On the right side of the case you got 3 crowns - (1) a quickset day operated by pusher at 2 o'clock, (2) your regular 3 o'clock used to set time and (3) a 4 o'clock crown that operates the rotating internal timing bezel.

Internally, the watch is powered by Orient's cal 469 which is basically a Seiko Cal 7005 that has been modified in house. There are loads of articles around exhorting the value of the movement so let's just say that in its 40 year history the cal 469 has proven to be durable, resilient and reliable.

My only gripe with the watch would be the poorly done bracelet and clasp. Somehow the bracelet doesn't quite inspire the confidence that it can deal with the weight of the watch head. The clasp is of even flimsier construction. But at USD$480 I guess one can't complain too much, it already is a great bargain.

Overall, my initial impressions are good- big, masculine, good solid movement and a rich history. I nicked this off a website..the watch is supposed epitomize kusuguri masu- a burly man's feelings and sense of casual reasonable design. I probably got the translation all wrong but it makes for a laugh. Hah. Enjoy.

Specifications: Cal 469, Day/Date function, black IP/PVD coating, 40hrs power reserve, accuracy of 25 to 15 seconds variation and 200m of water resistance.
    My Tumblr
    -------------------
    http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Cool. Congrats.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

His Silver Brother says Hi to you! I managed to grab this piece from Big Time this afternoon, love it! Im wearing mine on a Hirsch Accent rubber strap.

Comment

Very nice. Poisoned, so I got a stainless steel version at Big Time yesterday.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X