Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My pursuit of THE dress watch comes to an end (a long story)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My pursuit of THE dress watch comes to an end (a long story)

As some of you know, I have been looking for an "ideal" dress watch for the last couple of months.

The jorney started with a JLC Reverso Grande Date as I always regard the reverso as a calssic "gentleman watch". Unfortunately the RGD though has a very beautiful dial that I like very much was too thick for my wrist and somehow did not rest very comfortably on my wrist.

And so I sold it to make way for a Zenith Chronomaster Moonphase which also has a very beautiful dial as well as one of the most well known and most reliable chrono movement. It turned out that the Chronomaster worn a lot smaller on my wrist due to the wide bezel (hence the dial looked small), and I ended up buying an IWC GST chrono from the same seller (partly driven by my guilt of not buying the Chronomaster that I had confirmed to buy).

It did not take long before I realised the unique cream-silver dial GST Chrono wasn't exactly a dress watch and that I could not replace the SS bracelet with a leather strap due to the design of the lugs. Feeling a sense of lost, I ran into a JLC Master Control 8 Days while I was hanging around at JW days later. I tried it on and immediately realised that this is THE dress watch with all the attributes I had been looking for, and most important it looked and felt right on my wrist with a 41mm case! But...I left the shop without buying it because the price was so un-JW (= very expensive). I was so excited that I almost pulled the trigger even knowing that the price was high, but thanks to the advice of some bros that I seeked advice via sms that I decided to "let the watch comes to me". But it is not my nature to sit and wait for something to happen. So I put up a WTB thread in the forums, and prayed...

3 days later, a sms came in. I immediately made arrangement to meet the seller the same afternoon. You know what happened after that

The best part is, the IWC GST Chrono that I put up for sale, was sold the following day! By then I had only owned the watch for 5 days - a personal record.

So this is it...

Thanks for reading, and hope you like the watch too!

But don't ask me how much I paid...please.
    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

heh. nice story bro. having personally molested your piece before, i must say it is a beautiful gentleman dress watch. stunning movement, no-nonsense functions housed in a generously sized case. as with all silver dialed jaegers, the dial shimmers in different shades of colours ranging from white to cream to silver. intricately hand decorated 8 days movement displayed proudly thru a see-thru sapphire case back.

looks like we both found "love" in almost the same way. i agree. sometimes letting a watch come to u, can be WAY faster than chasing after a watch. wear this watch in very good health my friend.

P.S. dont u just love the day night indicator. lol. i cannot stop looking at mine. it's so beautiful.

Comment

The backside is sweee.... JLC has such beautiful movts. Enjoy!!
      相信我,这是最后一只了

Comment

Originally posted by redneckk View Post
        heh. nice story bro. having personally molested your piece before, i must say it is a beautiful gentleman dress watch. stunning movement, no-nonsense functions housed in a generously sized case. as with all silver dialed jaegers, the dial shimmers in different shades of colours ranging from white to cream to silver. intricately hand decorated 8 days movement displayed proudly thru a see-thru sapphire case back.

looks like we both found "love" in almost the same way. i agree. sometimes letting a watch come to u, can be WAY faster than chasing after a watch. wear this watch in very good health my friend.

P.S. dont u just love the day night indicator. lol. i cannot stop looking at mine. it's so beautiful.
        Thanks for the kind words on my watch, bro. You had been much more patient than I in our hunt. I think I will add a reverso to my collection some day - one that fits my wrist

Long live JLC!
        (I know this is a rolex forum...I have rolex too )

Comment

Seeing beautiful watches are great.. but reading about the journey is even better...Big Congrats.. not do the right thing of adding a wrist shot and a close-up of the movement...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray_Watches View Post
            The backside is sweee.... JLC has such beautiful movts. Enjoy!!
            Thanks bro!

Originally posted by cedric View Post
            Seeing beautiful watches are great.. but reading about the journey is even better...Big Congrats.. not do the right thing of adding a wrist shot and a close-up of the movement...
            Glad you like my long-winded story...thank you than you

Wrist shot coming soon. As for close-up of the movement...that was as close as the macro mode of my camera could take (or maybe my lack of knowledge of playing with the camera's setting).

Comment

Wrist shot...

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
                Wrist shot coming soon. As for close-up of the movement...that was as close as the macro mode of my camera could take (or maybe my lack of knowledge of playing with the camera's setting).
                bro this one i must say is probably u and not ur camera. =x my pics were taken using iphone 3GS. im sure a camera macro mode can do much better! haha. :P

anyway bro. i love it when JLC does these "sunbeam" decorations on their movements. the reason why i chose sun moon over grade date is because of the "sunbeam" decorations. but i must say bro, your master 8 days is the most "sunbeam" decorated movement i have everseen! v swee!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words on my watch, bro. You had been much more patient than I in our hunt. I think I will add a reverso to my collection some day - one that fits my wrist

Long live JLC!
                  (I know this is a rolex forum...I have rolex too )
                  yes yes. long live the first true haute horlogerie manufacture!

well true that bro. i think a reverso is a must have. due to it's history, heritage and prominence in the history of watchmaking. just like a submariner. except in my opinion, a reverso is more iconic. =x

Comment

sui lah!

PR indicator + day night Indicator + off centre second hand + grande date + astonishing 8 day power reserve!!!!

A full function watch made in a very elegant and classy way.

Congrates on reaching full circle in your watch search!! This is def one of the watches that I have been eyeing for a while liaoz....just no vit M
                    I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                      sui lah!

PR indicator + day night Indicator + off centre second hand + grande date + astonishing 8 day power reserve!!!!

A full function watch made in a very elegant and classy way.

Congrates on reaching full circle in your watch search!! This is def one of the watches that I have been eyeing for a while liaoz....just no vit M
                      Thanks bro

I have learned that the real nice watches hardly come by, so it is important that the fund is available when one shows up. Which is why nowadays when I set my eyes on a "must-have", I will sell my watch first to gather fund (i.e. if I don't have spare cash or don't want to touch my saving) and then wait for the watch to show up. It's easier said than done, coz always got distracted by something else, haha.

Comment

Thanks bro

I have learned that the real nice watches hardly come by, so it is important that the fund is available when one shows up. Which is why nowadays when I set my eyes on a "must-have", I will sell my watch first to gather fund (i.e. if I don't have spare cash or don't want to touch my saving) and then wait for the watch to show up. It's easier said than done, coz always got distracted by something else, haha.
                        ya i get what you mean. I always put aside some side fund but everytime have a small amt liaoz, eyes will start to go search for other watches...in the end, unable to reach my original target..haiz....
                        I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Congratz Mr pegasi. It's a real nice dress watch that I can't only dream about.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                            Congratz Mr pegasi. It's a real nice dress watch that I can't only dream about.

Yeah, you can't only dream about it. You CAN make it happen. It's all about setting your priorities. It is YOUR CHOICE

Comment

You say don't ask you the price so I guess it must be VERY expensive hor? Like that means outta my 'league' liao ..
                              The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X