5512 Movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5512 Movement

Hi all, I'm looking for some advise or just to gain some knowledge. i recently got a 1963 5512 PCG after doing the necessary research. To my understanding, the 5512 came with 3 movements; 1530, 1560 and 1570. I brought it in to the RSC to check if it needed a service but they informed that the 5512 should only have a 1530 movement and therefore, would not service it... ever!

Is this true? Cos i've read from numerous sources that it came with 3 different movements. I wanted to verify this with Geneva but i can't find an email contact to do so. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Rolex Gmt Master II
    Rolex Daytona 116505
    Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph
    Breitling Aerospace Advantage

may i ask what is the movement in your 5512? a simple fix is to replace the bridge but as you have already submitted your watch into rsc for service but was refused... this may be difficult now. i recommend you ask them (rsc singapore) to verify with geneva.

you may ask politely to speak to the service manager to work out your problems.

rolex does not have a public email address. call them or write them. use the geneva address, not the biel/bienne one. i can put you in touch with someone but i think this is not a question she will be able to help you with...
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Based on uour description, If non cosc should be 1530, cosc 1560? Hi beat 1570 is out as its used for later model. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. oh yes i forgot to mention that mine's a 1560. would that be correct for the period? but even if it was meant for a slightly later period 5512, i would expect that it'd still qualify for a service. according to their record, it's meant for a date just or something else.

taxico: do you mean that i call the Geneva RSC or use snail mail? i can try calling the local RSC to ask them to verify with Geneva but i'm not sure how much good that would do. They seem quite convinced that 1530 is the only movement for the 5512. and i wouldn't mind getting in touch with someone that may help if you know anyone. would like to try all avenues to resolve this.

Also, we know that 1530 was used in the early production of the 5512 and 5513. so correct me if i'm wrong but that would make the 5512 non cosc. or is it possible that the same calibre be made cosc for 5512 and non cosc for 5513? cos according to the watchmaker at RSC, that is the case. just trying to learn something new here.
        Rolex Gmt Master II
        Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

Originally posted by jjk View Post
          Also, we know that 1530 was used in the early production of the 5512 and 5513. so correct me if i'm wrong but that would make the 5512 non cosc. or is it possible that the same calibre be made cosc for 5512 and non cosc for 5513? cos according to the watchmaker at RSC, that is the case. just trying to learn something new here.
          Sorry for confusion, when I say non cosc for 5512 I'm referring to the dial, all 5512 moventment are cosc even if it's not stated on the dial. Early 5513 also uses the 1530 but did not send for cosc testing thus non cosc? I'm not sure here, can anyone help? I'm learning too.
          Imo all PCG 5512 should house 1530 movement.
          Hope that helps.
          Last edited by Alexlow; 26-01-13, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
            Imo all PCG 5512 should house 1530 movement.
            Correction: all SCG should house 1530 movement, PCG can be 1530/ 1560. What does your dial says?

Comment

interesting... my dial is a gilt 4 liner...
              Rolex Gmt Master II
              Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

where does 1570 come in? did 5512s come with 1520 as well?
                Rolex Gmt Master II
                Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

4 liner is correct to your 1560 (maybe RSC got it wrong?) but nothing is absolutely sure with Rolex.
                  1570 is used for later Matt dial sub. ie. 1967
                  I don't think 1520 is used on 5512.

Comment

Thanks Alex! Well maybe they got it wrong but they'll never know unless Geneva tells them so till then, i get it serviced with them... i'm not sure where else i can bring it to. i went to TH at Lucky but i'm not sure who can be trusted with these old watches..
                    Rolex Gmt Master II
                    Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

May i know why do you want to let RSC service your vintage? They will just change away all your original parts crystal, crown, bezel etc if they deem fit. I would rather go third party.

Comment

Oh ok. i always thought they could leave the parts on by request and just clean the movement. so where would you recommend i take it to?
                        Rolex Gmt Master II
                        Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

TH is a good start if you can wait. Turn around time abit long sometimes. I always go TooTuKei at bencoolen.

Comment

Thanks Alex
                            Rolex Gmt Master II
                            Rolex Daytona 116505

Comment

Originally posted by jjk View Post
                              ...mine's a 1560. would that be correct for the period?

taxico: do you mean that i call the Geneva RSC or use snail mail? i can try calling the local RSC to ask them to verify with Geneva but i'm not sure how much good that would do. They seem quite convinced that 1530 is the only movement for the 5512. and i wouldn't mind getting in touch with someone that may help if you know anyone. would like to try all avenues to resolve this.

you are correct that multiple movements were used in the 5512, some in over-lapping periods. you are also correct on 1530 in both early versions of 5512 and 5513. my experience however, points to 1530 being usually used in precision oysters and datejusts of that period were generally equipped with 1560 and 1570 (and marked as such despite the date module - but the serial reflects such a mod), not 1530...

in my opinion (despite what some books/people say), a 1560 is possible for your 4-line 5512 from 63. the vibrograph should reflect 18kvph. but whether it is original to your watch, i don't think i can say with certainty...

do you know if your movement serial has any alphabet prefix? if it does, you may not be able to proceed further... i cannot put you in touch with anyone until i know this will not waste their time.

there are no real avenues to resolve such an issue. either the RSC proceeds with a service or they don't. whatever reasons they give is verbal and might conceal other reasons for not proceeding... however they CAN be made to do so under advice from higher up in the right circumstance.

you should use snail mail to communicate with geneva - include your chronometer serial and case serial too. make it a polite and humble letter. if you want RSC singapore to do further verification, you may need to speak with the service manager.

if you want this resolved quickly, you can send it into another RSC in the region. if they refuse service, then you know it's not because of RSC singapore's policy/excuse.
                              “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X