Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolex Ref:1601 datejust help needed!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by badass09 View Post
    Is there no way to tighten back the stretchy bracelet...???
    you may send the bracelet to michael young in HK for tightening but it is not cheap (but cheaper than buying a new bracelet), and it will take a long time. i'm not sure if the results for a 62150 will be as good as a 6215 bracelet due to the solid links.

locally, i do not know of anybody who tightens bracelets. you can just mount it on a nice leather strap instead of using it on a bracelet.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
      RSC only uses original parts that are still in stock... but modern acrylic crystals are not identical to the one that "originally" came with your watch as newer acrylic crystals were made better but slightly thicker.

they do not install sapphire on plastic models nor vice versa.

it is not easy to know if you're buying genuine rolex hands or after market hands (may not even be gold!) - if you want to keep your watch all original, i recommend just keeping your current hands and put the money towards a service.
      Are the hands in my watch gold...??? i thought they were stainless steel... If they are gold..., how come they r corroded...???
      HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION
      ROLEX SUBMARINER 116613LBD 8 POINT DIAMOND DIAL "G" SERIAL
      Rolex Submariner TT 16613LN "s" series<<<[TRADED]
      Rolex Datejust 1601 "5 mil" series<<<[SOLD]
      Breitling Sirius Automatic 18K/SS B10071<<<[SOLD]
      TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Date CV2010
      G-Shock mudman g9300 ( daily beater )

HER'S
      Rolex ladies datejust
      vintage Cartier tank 18k
      TAG Heuer Formula 1 ceramic diamonds

Comment

you may send the bracelet to michael young in HK for tightening but it is not cheap (but cheaper than buying a new bracelet), and it will take a long time. i'm not sure if the results for a 62150 will be as good as a 6215 bracelet due to the solid links.

locally, i do not know of anybody who tightens bracelets. you can just mount it on a nice leather strap instead of using it on a bracelet.
        Hi bro can pm me the contact of this michael young...???
        HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
        Rolex ladies datejust
        vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

Are the hands in my watch gold...??? i thought they were stainless steel... If they are gold..., how come they r corroded...???
          no idea if your hands are corroded steel hands or oxidized white gold hands.

i know some vintage rolex watches were marked with the sigma symbols (especially singer dials), O T SWISS T O denoting that dial markers (and possibly the hands, esp yellow hands) are gold, but due to the inconsistency of dial manufacturers and the way things were like in the past, there is no guarantee...

hands can also be swapped during service, whether deliberately or maliciously. it may be safe to say if your hands look corroded (not oxidized), and no sigma symbols, they are probably steel.

the easiest way is to bring it to a watch maker and ask him to see if the marks can be polished off. if it is indeed steel, then it is not possible - the watchmaker will probably know how to differentiate it (especially models with non YG/YG-color hands).

if you have macro shots of your hands, you can post them here and some of us may be able to tell if it is corrosion or oxidation.

head to VRF or TRF and search for michael young. or google +michael +young +hong +kong +rolex +bracelet
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

no idea if your hands are corroded steel hands or oxidized white gold hands.

i know some vintage rolex watches were marked with the sigma symbols (especially singer dials), O T SWISS T O denoting that dial markers (and possibly the hands, esp yellow hands) are gold, but due to the inconsistency of dial manufacturers and the way things were like in the past, there is no guarantee...

hands can also be swapped during service, whether deliberately or maliciously. it may be safe to say if your hands look corroded (not oxidized), and no sigma symbols, they are probably steel.

the easiest way is to bring it to a watch maker and ask him to see if the marks can be polished off. if it is indeed steel, then it is not possible - the watchmaker will probably know how to differentiate it (especially models with non YG/YG-color hands).

if you have macro shots of your hands, you can post them here and some of us may be able to tell if it is corrosion or oxidation.

head to VRF or TRF and search for michael young. or google +michael +young +hong +kong +rolex +bracelet
            Hi bro... Temporarily i've took some photos with my iphone... So try zooming the pics to c...

P.s: if the pics aren't gd enough then i'll upload some more pics with my digi cam...
            HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
            Rolex ladies datejust
            vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

My bracelet has " REGISTERED & PATENTED SWISS MADE " on the left side of the rolex logo and on the right side has " STEELINOX A or R not so clear and 62510H 8 " so i think that u mentioned 62150 n 6215 bracelet... So mine is different right...???
              HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
              Rolex ladies datejust
              vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

My bracelet has " REGISTERED & PATENTED SWISS MADE " on the left side of the rolex logo and on the right side has " STEELINOX A or R not so clear and 62510H 8 " so i think that u mentioned 62150 n 6215 bracelet... So mine is different right...???
                HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                Rolex ladies datejust
                vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

Hi guys....

I have a rolex datejust Ref:1601 datejust on a jubilee bracelet... which i inherited from my late uncle recently... I managed to remove the bracelet n to find the case number and it says REGISTERED MODEL 1601 on one side of the lugs and STAINLESS STEEL 508**** on the other side... The bracelet has alot of stretch on it n the end links are stamped 555... The clasp has rolex stamping n also has numeric stamping... Forgot what's the number on the clasp... The dial is silver with some lines in it which looks like 3D but not so clear... The lumes are all dead n the dial is marked T SWISS T... the hands are all corroded... The whole watch is scratched and has a few dings... The crystal has cyclops n is also scratched... Did some googling and found out that this watch maybe from the 70's...???

So this watch must be authentic rite...???
                  What i wanna know is, how much would it cost me to repair n restore this watch at a reputable 2nd hand shop...??? ( RSC IS OUT OF THE QUESTION... too expensive ) Pls recommend if there's any... What parts to replace as in exterior n interior of the watch n what not to replace...?? To polish or not to polish...??? And how much is it worth after restore n before restoration, if i were to sell it...???

Pls advise on what to do with this watch... I mostly like to keep it but if the cost to restore is too much then no point in keeping it la... I'd Rather sell it or trade it...

So please help me rolex gurus.... As i'm a newbie with rolexes... All help n advise are appreciated... THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
                  Greetings! I agree that you should have it service and keep it...Get to know it n develope a love relationship with it and it will repay you with many hours of fun..My personal opinion is to service it in Rolex Centre because its where I feel safer as I always have this fear that anyone else --- they may change my parts without me knowing...Although u pay alot more in Rolex Ctr but its a peace of mind...I remember a normal service cost about S$700 n besides service - I am told they will polish it, replace the crystal, crown...
                  Dont sell it --- after all what can you get for S$2000 these days ---- you probably spend the money within a month...but if you keep it will stay with you for life for as long as u want...Have a good day!!
                  facebook.com/watches.jamy

Mine:
                  1) Rolex Seadweller T-Series
                  2) Seiko Sports Vintage
                  3) Chopard Mille Miglia GMT Chrono
                  4) Polaris Homage
                  5) Heuer Carrera
                  6) JLC Memovox Deep Sea
                  7) Baume n Mercier
                  8) Helson Skindiver
                  9) Hamilton Air Race & X-Copter
                  10) Longines Chrono
                  11) Meistersinger
                  12) Omega Triple Date
                  13) Tudor Big Block Full set
                  14) Revue Theomann Alarm
                  15) BALL EM2 World Time
                  16) Zenith Triple D

Comment

Originally posted by JAMYLIM View Post
                    Greetings! I agree that you should have it service and keep it...Get to know it n develope a love relationship with it and it will repay you with many hours of fun..My personal opinion is to service it in Rolex Centre because its where I feel safer as I always have this fear that anyone else --- they may change my parts without me knowing...Although u pay alot more in Rolex Ctr but its a peace of mind...I remember a normal service cost about S$700 n besides service - I am told they will polish it, replace the crystal, crown...
                    Dont sell it --- after all what can you get for S$2000 these days ---- you probably spend the money within a month...but if you keep it will stay with you for life for as long as u want...Have a good day!!
                    Hi... Thanks for the kind words... I agree with u abt what we can get for $2k... But i was thinking abt restoring this watch and then can last even longer... But if i do it at rsc it's gonna cost me atleast $1k plus..., so what's the point of restoring at almost half the value of the watch when it's not gonna bring me any money... I agree that rsc will do a better job but that's it... I'm not a perfectionist by nature and i don't mind a little less workmanship qualities with other watch shops... I inherited this watch and would like to keep it as a means of collection... N the last thing i need now is to lose more money... So sparing a few hundred bucks for a vintage datejust i don't mind... But $1k plus is a definite NO NO... i've already spent abt $700 plus restoring my breitling.. And if gonna spend anymore my better half is gonna slit my throat... Haha...
                    HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                    Rolex ladies datejust
                    vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

Hi bro... Temporarily i've took some photos with my iphone... So try zooming the pics to c...

P.s: if the pics aren't gd enough then i'll upload some more pics with my digi cam...
                      I don't see any issue with your 1601 dial though...

Unless you are talking about the yellow tritium markers on the sides?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                        I don't see any issue with your 1601 dial though...

Unless you are talking about the yellow tritium markers on the sides?
                        No the tritium markers don't bother me... It's the hour,minute and seconds hand that does bother me... Bro taxico said that these hands can be white gold n oxidized... If they are steel then they r corroded... As for me i don't even know whether they r in s/steel or white gold...???
                        HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                        Rolex ladies datejust
                        vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

saw your watch pic today (clicked on it and it became bigger in a new window and then i clicked on it again!) and i think they are probably steel hands (nickle plated) but in their condition i would not replace/touch them.

your bracelet looks fine also. if the rotor is not making any crazy dragging/metal-on-metal sound, date flicks over and it keeps time, i recommend just wearing it until it doesn't keep good time.

sorry i can't give you more input - you're better off bringing the watch to a watchmaker and having him/her take a look at it.

Comment

saw your watch pic today (clicked on it and it became bigger in a new window and then i clicked on it again!) and i think they are probably steel hands (nickle plated) but in their condition i would not replace/touch them.

your bracelet looks fine also. if the rotor is not making any crazy dragging/metal-on-metal sound, date flicks over and it keeps time, i recommend just wearing it until it doesn't keep good time.

sorry i can't give you more input - you're better off bringing the watch to a watchmaker and having him/her take a look at it.
                            Bro why shouldn't i replace or touch them...??? When i shake the watch i do hear some clanging as if some part of the movement has fallen off...
                            HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                            Rolex ladies datejust
                            vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse