Going into vintage watches? Here're some basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by triton View Post
    sometimes i feel that the imperfections of the watch is what it gives the watch its character. yes, the dial may have corrosion, the hands may have seen better times, the case may have pitted. but this is what i feel it gives the watch its vintage character. these imperfections may sometimes be what is truly original to the watch itself.
    For me, that's the essence of vintage That's what vintage is all about.

Else, just get a BNIB current new model

Dino

Comment

well said

Originally posted by triton View Post
      no disrespect to any vintage gurus, the author of this article. im not a vintage guru/expert. if i offended anyone in anyway, i apologize.

these are the pointers to look for. however, most vintage watch are hardly as original. if you see a vintage watch that is almost as good as new, how can one tell if it is truly original.

i am going to open pandora box here. is it not possible that this watch that you see that looks almost as good as new is not one that is made up of maybe several watches. take for example a rolex 5513. i see watch A which has good case condition and movement inside. i see watch B with good condition dial (that matches watch A period of production), hands, and bezel. i see watch C with bracelet and clasps matching watch A serial number period of production. (watches A, B & C are same model)

i then take the good parts and watches A, B and C and assembly together to get a 'super' watch. the rest, i just assemble together and sell it @ market value. however, the 'super' watch can command a super premium because it is in such almost immaculate condition.

someone did ask me before about buying vintage watches. i am not an expert in vintage watches. but with vintage watches, the watch itself may have gone through several owners. the buyer would not know the true history of the watch.

the only sure way i know that the watch in concern is in original pristine condition is when the watch comes with warranty papers bearing the seller's name or a watch receipt with information on the watch itself such as serial number and the seller's name. else to me the watch itself can be a modded watch

sometimes i feel that the imperfections of the watch is what it gives the watch its character. yes, the dial may have corrosion, the hands may have seen better times, the case may have pitted. but this is what i feel it gives the watch its vintage character. these imperfections may sometimes be what is truly original to the watch itself.

as always, buy a watch that you like. vintage watches has its charm and risks. the same goes to buildings which government insists that the exterior needs to be preserved but the interior, you can do what you like. what is the point, to me the essence of watch has been eroded once the imperfections have been perfected.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
      Working...
      X