Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Earliest serial for 5513 Gloss dial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Earliest serial for 5513 Gloss dial?

Hi all you Rolex Gurus - i've been bitten bad by the vintage bug - Rolex vintages no less sigh

Am currently looking at a 5513 with a serial number of 8.27**** that the seller claims is all original with gloss dial and WG surrounds...that dates it approximately JUST BEFORE 1984 (which starts at 8.3) which most common online literature states to be the year the matt dials were replaced with the gloss.

So are we looking at the earliest possible range of serial numbers or just someone who replaced the matt dial (more desirable) with the later gloss?

i don't see the rationale behind this since the watch is in very good unpolished shape and will definitley command more with the original matt dial?

Any comments or help would be most appreciated - am just discovering the mystical (seriously) world of vintage subs and there certainly seems to be more to it than meets the eye haha...
    Lusts:

IMO, both dials are possible for a watch of that serial depending on (literally) what was available at hand during assembly.

some times, people have been known to remove the more expensive matte dials from watches with serials that overlap (matte->gloss) and sell them separately or install them on an older watch with a damaged (matte) dial - the later gloss/luminova versions were easier to obtain.

people also have been known to buy watches with such overlaping periods and replace the gloss dial with matte dials as a matter of "personal preference" (eg, DRSD 1665) - at an added cost of course.

since you are new to the world of vintage rollies, i recommend holding off the purchase until you're sure - unless of course the price itself is very attractive and would cover the cost of a replacement dial... then by all means, go ahead.

also, among many other things, be sure to learn how to recognize what "good unpolished shape" means. VRM and VRF has a wealth of resource for newbies and searching through it would be most beneficial.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

8.2m is the grey area. If you are looking for a Matt 5513, there are many in the 3m to 7m in the market. If you are looking for gloss, the anything from 8m onwards to L series will be good.

If you don't really bother, then a nice condition 8m 5513 is good whether Matt or gloss.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, they pretty much reaffirm my own opinions on this - it is a grey area that has been a part of Rolex's "serial numbering" system vis-a-vis their actual production line for a while now until they changed it to the random system last year.

and the well known fact of frankenstyling these watches makes it that much more difficult when you have a watch with so many what-ifs - and the price of this particular piece isn't so attractive anymore once you take into consideration this "grey area"

I'm actually looking for a gloss dial with the WG surrounds, for one that it's cheaper than the matt maxi ones, and the other is also personal preference that it looks "classier" with the WG and tritium together.

yes i'm reading up intensively on the other forums now and trying to filter the fact from the fiction / "empirical evidence" - so much to learn!

Thanks much for everything so far guys
        Lusts:

Comment

Originally posted by jellytots View Post
          I'm actually looking for a gloss dial with the WG surrounds, for one that it's cheaper than the matt maxi ones, and the other is also personal preference that it looks "classier" with the WG and tritium together.

yes i'm reading up intensively on the other forums now and trying to filter the fact from the fiction / "empirical evidence" - so much to learn!

Thanks much for everything so far guys
          good luck with the research. it starts from MK 0!

also, the superficial differences between a 14060/M and a 5513 decrease when you look at a gloss 5513. they are just so similar with the exception of the palstic glass.

personally i would go for a matte 5513 in good condition from 7m and before OR just jump to a 14060M (non-COSC) which, although has a sapphire crystal, has an improved movement and case and is available at a cheaper price.

but of course, if plastic fantastic is your cup of tea... then nothing should stop you from getting a reasonably priced gloss 5513. in this case, i have a preference for the R-series.
          “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

And wala!! You have one for sale here :

http://www.sg-roc.com/showthread.php?t=66130

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, well i managed to get my handon one R series in very good cosmetic condition - unfortunately i think the clutch slip mechanism is shot - fully wound from start i only get 28winds before i hit a dead end - like a manually wound watch...

I need to get a professional to look at it - but i don't want to go the RSC route as they may replace the nicely faint spider T dial on it which i adore...any recommendations for a good servicing lobang?
              Lusts:

Comment

Can try Tophour at lucky plaza...Mr Lim is a former rolex technican...nice guy to deal with...
                Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by jellytots View Post
                  I need to get a professional to look at it - but i don't want to go the RSC route as they may replace the nicely faint spider T dial on it which i adore...any recommendations for a good servicing lobang?
                  i think as the dial doesn't affect WR, you may be able to have it overhauled at RSC even if you specify they leave the dial alone.

for what it's worth, a spider dial is a fancy name for a damaged dial. gloss WG dials are not really rare... so... your call!

Comment

Thanks Taxico and Feilong108,

Yeah I felt those spider dials were just a gimmick at best to inflate prices, and never liked the look of those deep cracks anyhow...
                    But this piece had the faintest and tiniest cracks almost like a crazing effect, which u cldnt see unless u had the light at it at the right angle...quite mesmerizing if I do say so...anyway I
                    dropped it off at Mr Lim's and he said all it needed was some tender loving servicing and it should be as good as new. Very straightforward and honest, very reasonable rates, will definitely have him look at my other Rolex soon

And I've never seen so many mint 1655s in one place before! His wife must've been suspicious of this gundu staring slack-jawed at all those vintage pieces in their displays haha...
                    Lusts:

Comment

Have many nice vintages there...i drool always when i am there...hahaha....

He is a great guy to chat with...provided he have the time as his business is very good...always have to wait for 15 to 20 mins before i have the chance to talk to the MAN himself...
                      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Well here it is back from Mr Lim's and i've been wearing it for about two weeks...love the perfectly matching cream hands and markers...it winds very smoothly now but is running a little too fast...gotta let him regulate it but he's out of town right now...
                        Lusts:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X