change to sapphire crystal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change to sapphire crystal

I want to check if there are any shops that are able to change the glass of the rolie to sapphire crystal, aside some RSC.

RSC refused to change my glass to sapphire crystal since my 1500 comes original glass only, RSC will not change. i want it to change so that i no worry about scratches anymore. what they suggested is they service my rolie first at $700+ then change to new glass

some people have no problems with using a specially made after-market sapphire crystal for their acrylic rolex watches... but be warned that there have been some known issues (eg, different type of crystal retaining system for the acrylic and that might cause water ingress!).

if you can't find ready stock at your watch shops, you can buy these crystals online (eb@y?) and bring them to a watchmaker for installation. but i don't recommend it. plastic is fantastic.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Plexi is nice....cheap to replace and easy to remove scratches...

Just use toothpaste and rub with a clean cloth can liao....
      Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

you hit a acrylic crystal or you knock or drop, most to most is crack, but sapphire crystal if crack it will shattered, become small little pieces then you will need to complete overhaul to remove the small chips inside. arcylic can be easily polish.

Comment

Originally posted by feilong108 View Post
          Plexi is nice....cheap to replace and easy to remove scratches...

Just use toothpaste and rub with a clean cloth can liao....
          Can polish? I tried using toothpaste and finger on my 6694 but no diff. Maybe will try with a cloth later.

In the drawer
          R 6694 / TH 3000 / R 79240 / R 16610 V / B Aviator / O PO / R 178341 /
          L Pilot Miyota Type-B / G Incursore / FC Healey

NIB Omega Planet Ocean 42mm for sale.

Comment

clean cloth....and rubbing helps too...lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              Can polish? I tried using toothpaste and finger on my 6694 but no diff. Maybe will try with a cloth later.
              Must use cloth.

Use brasso better. If not using specialize like polywatch.

Don't use autosol. too coarse.
              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                Must use cloth.

Use brasso better. If not using specialize like polywatch.

Don't use autosol. too coarse.
                Brasso??? Sure or not...

In the drawer

Comment

Can see this article.

Personally i prefer brasso as its less abrasive but takes little longer.
                  I tried on swatch and 6694 myself. works wonder.
                  Didn't work on my old phone thought.

G'day TZners,
                  Having read a lot of good reports about the crystal polishing product Polywatch of late, I obtained a tube to see just how good it was. For the past couple of years I have been polishing the acrylic crystals on my vintage watches with an automotive metal polish called Autosol, and have found it to be very effective. Was Polywatch better? This was what I decided to find out.
                  I ran a comparison test under controlled conditions to see if there was a difference in the effectiveness of the two polishing products. For the test I used the acrylic crystal shown below, with a uniform covering of light and heavy scratching :

I masked off the crystal in halves, and in turn polished each half with the different products, Autosol on the left, and Polywatch on the right. A similar amount of each polish was deposited on the crystal, and each was then polished vigorously for equal periods of time, and in the same direction . The results were checked after 3 minutes of polishing, and then again after a further 3 minutes following another application of each polish. The picture below shows the crystal after this polishing, with a strip of masking tape separating the two halves :

Checking the results of the polishing both visually, and under a 10x microscope, no discernable difference was noticeable on either half of the test crystal. Both polishes seemed to have reduced the scratching to the same degree, and the clarity of the crystal was also the same. A similar light grinding sound was apparent when using both polishe
                  Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Comment

Wow if that's real I'm going to try that out man. Will go get a tube of Autosol first.

In the drawer

Comment

hehehe..i love plexi...hehehe.....easy to make the crystal nice and shiny easily...hehehe..and the dome is so nice too...lol...

Comment

Wow if that's real I'm going to try that out man. Will go get a tube of Autosol first.
                        if the scratches is deep, can use 800 grit then 1000 grit sandpaper to sand first.
                        crystal will turn cloudy white. looks scary. but after polished will be crystal clear again.

if not deep just use polish direct.

cheers.

Comment

Yes, polishing is possible.........but ultimately sapphire crystal is the best.

You can buy them from ebay and have any good watchsmith to install it. You will not regret it !

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                            if the scratches is deep, can use 800 grit then 1000 grit sandpaper to sand first.
                            crystal will turn cloudy white. looks scary. but after polished will be crystal clear again.

if not deep just use polish direct.

cheers.
                            So use Autosol or Brasso gives better finishing bro?

In the drawer

Comment

So use Autosol or Brasso gives better finishing bro?
                              I never compared. So far brasso works well for me. And been using brasso.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X