please advise on this 1680 red sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please advise on this 1680 red sub

someone want to sell me this rolex 1680 red sub for $18,000. it is a good deal or am i paying too much? will u buy it if u have the chance? please advise as it a gift for my dad bday.

It is a 3.388m (1972/3) red sub with correct MK4 dial. All original and comes with box and original papers. Case is a little polished. Bracelet is original 9315 folded type.

Any particular reason why u want to get a S/S vintage sub for your Dad? Is he a vintage Rolex collector? If not, for that kind of money, I would suggest a brand new T/T Rolex Sub or used day date.

Otherwise 18,000 is a bit on the high side. I am guessing 15k would be more reasonable for a complete red sub.

Comment

hi wean,

my dad always wanted a red sub tat why i looking for one since his bday.. is it still possible to get a red sub at $15k? any other comment that enable me to decide that 18k is a real good deal??

Comment

correction. the amount quoted was $16k for the red sub..

Comment

is it with box and paper?
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

The seller of this Red Sub is from this forum too and you (TS) know about his watch from Audi forum.

TS, you are in good hand. When come to vintage watches (not only Rolex) go for seller. I know this seller (I am always transparent with my intent). He is a well know member here and is also welcome by local grey/pre-owned dealer.

As for that particular watch that you are eyeing for your dad, I know where he got it from. His got it from a well know/trusted Rolex vintage dealer on international platform. It comes with paper & box, which is not easy to find in local market. If you are able to find one that is complete, will the condition be close to this?

Price, nobody can tell w/o seeing the watch especially vintage. The aging (maker, dial, hands & bezel – even crown) of the watch is subjective too. You can only judge on a range and I believe it is be a wide range as we are talking about vintage watches.

Just a note, vintage is not on price, it is the availability, condition, completeness and most importantly seller.

Good luck in your search and Wishing your Dad – Happy Birthday.

Comment

Singapore vintage market is a bit slow & illiquid. If you are serious about vintages, try www.vintagerolexforum.com where you see more range of asking prices for red subs and do your research from there onwards.

Cheers

An intoxicated vintage lover!

Originally posted by hello_forum View Post
              someone want to sell me this rolex 1680 red sub for $18,000. it is a good deal or am i paying too much? will u buy it if u have the chance? please advise as it a gift for my dad bday.

It is a 3.388m (1972/3) red sub with correct MK4 dial. All original and comes with box and original papers. Case is a little polished. Bracelet is original 9315 folded type.

Comment

Originally posted by hello_forum View Post

my reply is a little late.

i don't know why your dad likes the red sub. so please pay no attention to me if you disagree with my comments. i also mean no disrespect.

for a variety of reasons, _i_ would NOT pay such prices for a red sub unless it ALSO has a MINT case AND dial AND hands AND bracelet. ones in good condition are difficult to find.

if it were me, and i MUST buy my dad a sub, i would get him a 16610 LV, throw in a black bezel insert and give him the rest of the money in an ang pow for him to spend as he sees fit.

or a normal 1680/matte 16800 + ang pow. if he doesn't need a sub and has big wrists like my dad, i would get and gift him a matte triple 6 instead.

to answer your other question: red subs CAN be found for 15k or less. you need to look overseas and be willing to compromise on a few things.

on a personal note: for my dad's 60th birthday, i bought him a seiko dress watch, matched with a 2-tone seiko bracelet (ordered it separately).

he has worn it proudly everywhere he goes the past 6 years. like his previous watch, he doesn't baby it; he has gone to thong sia twice to fix the watch - once when the regulating stud slipped (running a few hours fast) when he smashed it on the side of a shipping container and the second time when the date window frame fell off when he dropped the watch.

the first "repair" was free as it was a simple regulation job. the second repair costs $12.38.

although he admits that the seiko was not as reliable as his datejust... and i know he can easily afford an MBF tourbillon if he chooses... i know he really really loves the seiko because (and only because) his son bought it for him.
                “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X