Why I dont collect Vintage Rolex article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I dont collect Vintage Rolex article

I was contemplating buying a vintage rolex for my year of birth (yes I am also a vintage in rolex years) when I stumble on this article on the web.

Interesting read that you may encounter before. Dont mean to suggest anything but offers a different perspective though

http://watchfreaks.wordpress.com/200...rolex-watches/

Thanks for sharing, I think its a good read for all prospective buyers of vintage!

To an extent I do agree with the perspective - which is why despite my intent to eventually pick up a vintage Sub or SD, I'm aiming to start off with old Omegas and/or Tudors first. But for myself (and I suspect, many others), the appeal of patina'd dials and scuffed cases will nonetheless override rational behavior in the long run... Am a sucker for watches that tell a story, and nothing BNIB will cut it for me!

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

In general I agree with the writer's opinion.

When come to vintage I also prefer omega over rolex, for vintage omega is more interesting and prices are a lot more affortably in general. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the prices of vintage omega is on the up trend since the omegamania auction in 2007.

I guess there are two types of vintage watch collectors...one buy to enjoy, the other to sell on.
      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by wongcheok View Post
        To an extent I do agree with the perspective - which is why despite my intent to eventually pick up a vintage Sub or SD, I'm aiming to start off with old Omegas and/or Tudors first.
        Yeah I have few old omegas and also a "potential vintage" tudor chrono time which I enjoy a lot wearing. My personal guideline for vintage watches is that they must be in very good overall condition for daily wear.

Comment

As a matter of fact some of these vintages come close to certain Pateks. I am often torn between an old vintage or a brand new patek that I can merely " look after for the next generation"

Comment

Originally posted by Liv2golf View Post
            As a matter of fact some of these vintages come close to certain Pateks. I am often torn between an old vintage or a brand new patek that I can merely " look after for the next generation"
            For me it's an easy choice if you do not yet have any Pateks

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Yeah I have few old omegas and also a "potential vintage" tudor chrono time which I enjoy a lot wearing. My personal guideline for vintage watches is that they must be in very good overall condition for daily wear.
              Nice! Care to share more on the Omegas?

By Tudor chrono time, you're referring to the 3 dial chronographs or the piece that looks a bit like the ranger?

Comment

Originally posted by wongcheok View Post
                Nice! Care to share more on the Omegas?

By Tudor chrono time, you're referring to the 3 dial chronographs or the piece that looks a bit like the ranger?
                Have a flightmaster 911, a seamaster 200m SHOM (outgoing), both circa 70's, a moonwatch, and the last dynamic (chrono) from omega (not yet vintage but already a collector's item). The flightmaster is my favorite vintage being in excellent unpolished condition with original box/manual/warranty booklet. Will post some pics as soon as it comes back form its first servicing.

The tudor chrono is the 3-register daytona case 79280 (non-tiger).

Comment

... having had a bunch of vintage rolex and a few new ones, I have to agree with the article. The new ones are generally better made than the older ones ... the movements sometimes more robust, and in some instances e.g. comparing my GMT 16753 vs my 16700 ... the later movement is quieter.

Everytime I bought a vintage rolex... as beautiful as they are, quality wise i always feel a bit short-changed.

I think its ok to buy a vintage rolex if you like it enough... if the price is to within 10% of the current replacement... but would not pay a premium. At premium prices, I would rather look at an AP or others ...

The reality is that a used S$20k watch probably feels in that ballpark, but a $20k vintage rolex sports doesn't ... simply because it was made to feel like a $8k equiv watch of its time.

Comment

Vintage versus modern

When collecting vintage watches, one cannot compare with the modern one in terms of technology and precision.

On the contrary, the hunt for vintage watches is harder as the challenge is to find them in as good conditions as possible (taking into consideration the aging process, wear and tear of the previous owners, the originality of the parts, the dials etc). It is a total different perspective.

For modern watches, with money, one can get them. For vintage, it takes more then cash.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by maxbliss888 View Post
                      When collecting vintage watches, one cannot compare with the modern one in terms of technology and precision.

On the contrary, the hunt for vintage watches is harder as the challenge is to find them in as good conditions as possible (taking into consideration the aging process, wear and tear of the previous owners, the originality of the parts, the dials etc). It is a total different perspective.

For modern watches, with money, one can get them. For vintage, it takes more then cash.

Just my 2 cents worth of thoughts.
                      Well with many of the Rolex sports models the changes have been very little over the past 40 years.Sure there have been a few movement modifications since the 15XX series movements.But IMHO the 15XX was the finest that Rolex has made to date,and if watch was properly serviced pressure checked it should perform the same as any modern day Rolex.The 3 series introduced around 1977 was a very robust movement and many parts were tempered and much stronger than later movements.Then around 1988/9 the cal 3135 was introduced this movement like most Rolex movements have remained unchanged for decades. Except for some now having the in-house escapements parts but thats no big deal either way.Its simple as long as any Rolex made over the past 50 years has been serviced and meets its pressure testing rate. There is no reason why that model could not perform the same as one bought yesterday, in many cases it will perform as good ,sometimes better.

Comment

"I really do like the domed crystals, non-glossy dials and yellowed tritium hands and hour markers." That sums up the the attraction of vintage rolex for me too!
                        However, I was deterred and finally gave up on pursuing vintage rolex seriously - my main issue? Fakes.... fakes so good that even RSC endorse as real, fakes so good that even far more experienced and dedicated collector friends are fooled.
                        "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                        three times is enemy action and
                        over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                        ."

Comment

Originally posted by Ender View Post
                          "[I]However, I was deterred and finally gave up on pursuing vintage rolex seriously - my main issue? Fakes.... fakes so good that even RSC endorse as real, fakes so good that even far more experienced and dedicated collector friends are fooled.
                          Yeah, I like vintage too but for the same reason above never touch vintage rolex.

Comment

A couple of points why i love vintage rolex

(1)It's easy to buy a new Rolex, go down to your AD and hand some money over ...Done , easy and you got yourself the latest model Rolex with all the bells and whistles.... but rest in the knowledge that next year and the year after that, something newer and "blingier" will come along and your new Rolex is not so new....
                            (2)If you have the time, research how many rolexes were produced per year up to 1980 and you will see that the mass production of Rolexes went up quite dramatically from then on.......... the simple logic of demand and supply will suggest that the older Aryclic would be more collectable.

(3)half the fun of getting into vintage Rolex the research that is required beforehand.......... ie correct case ( level of polish , condition etc etc), correct period dial and hands to make sure that you havent got a dud and that the piece you have is worth collecting........ but when you get it right........ the results are so, so worth it!

(4) Thoses hi dome crystals, gilt dials , matte dials with creamy patina markers ..... they just dont make em like they used to......

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1280842353

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...g?t=1280842353
                            Last edited by bearbrass3188; 03-08-10, 09:48 PM. Reason: photo editing

Comment

This is a good article.

Regarding the pricing, the price of vintages will track the prices of the contemporary range. Just look at the prices of Panerai vintages! Also look at the price of the new Sub C (>10k, mass produced somemore!)

So I am no alarmed that the prices of rolex vintages are higher than Omegas. In fact, I will be surprised if it is not so. If it is all about value for money, than seikos as vintages will do just fine. But it is more than that.

There is just something about rolex vintages that are historical and pedigree in nature. I wish I could afford them in the 70 & 80s when they cost just hundred(s) of dollars. I could not even afford a star wars figurine costing $2.90 in Emporium then! So I have to buy them now at a premium to preserve the memory.
                              His: AP ROO, Hublot BB, PAM 24/29/183/372, Chopard L.U.C 2000/Mille Miglia, Rolex Milgauss 116400 GV/Sub 16610 LV/1680 "Red Sub"/GMT Master 1675/GMT Master II 16760 "FAT LADY"/Seadweller 16600/DSSD 116660, Tudor 94010 "Snowflake"/94200 "BIG Block"/Heritage Chrono/Black Bay, Omega Seamaster 2254.50/2538.20

Hers: AP ROO & AP Millenary, Cartier Santos, Chopard Happy Sports & Cannes Fest, PAM 49, Rolex Explorer1 214270

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X