To get or not to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To get or not to get?

Any idea if it is worth it for the following?

To pay $1800 for a 1972 rolex and the overhaul will cost total $1779. Apparently, it is rusty inside. Alternatively, to pay $2200 for a 1982 rolex with the overhaul costing $1763. But the 1982 model hands and glass are not original rolex parts.

The watch on the left is the 1972 model. The watch on the right is the 1982 model. Sorry for the poor pics though. Thanks!

Originally posted by dominique_kwok View Post

To pay $1800 for a 1972 rolex and the overhaul will cost total $1779. Apparently, it is rusty inside. Alternatively, to pay $2200 for a 1982 rolex with the overhaul costing $1763. But the 1982 model hands and glass are not original rolex parts.

The watch on the left is the 1972 model. The watch on the right is the 1982 model. Sorry for the poor pics though. Thanks!
    You took pic at the shop? Both not worth...skip it

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Just as I thought.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      My good friend and her sister wanted to get the watches. The seller happens to be their good friend's father who deals in 2nd hand watches. But i thought it was too pricey. So I thought i'll ask you guys! heh. What would be a good price then? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
        fully agree. by the time you add up cost, you are looking 3-4k. can get a modern DJ or exp2 for that kinda money. of course if you are looking for "vintage" then you want to consider my 6694 . MINT condition. fully done and restored by rsc.

as for a good price, no more than S$2k fully restored. Just my A$0.02
        [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
        Blue 6694
        Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
        [U]"My collection"[/U]:
        [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

My good friend and her sister wanted to get the watches. The seller happens to be their good friend's father who deals in 2nd hand watches. But i thought it was too pricey. So I thought i'll ask you guys! heh. What would be a good price then? Thanks!
          Not worth it. I tend not to trust such relations anymore but I am not saying that your case is similar to mine. Do more legwork la.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by seiko.citizen View Post
            fully agree. by the time you add up cost, you are looking 3-4k. can get a modern DJ or exp2 for that kinda money. of course if you are looking for "vintage" then you want to consider my 6694 . MINT condition. fully done and restored by rsc.

as for a good price, no more than S$2k fully restored. Just my A$0.02
            Agreed. For that price, I rather get a pre-owned Exp-1 ...
            运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

you shouldnt pay more than $2K for either. Just my view.
              My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
              Rolex Submariner 16610
              Rolex Submariner 116610
              Rolex Date 1550
              IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
              IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
              Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
              Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
              Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
              Seiko Sumo SBDC001
              Seiko Sumo SBDC003
              Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
              Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

Comment

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
                you shouldnt pay more than $2K for either. Just my view.
                Thanks so much for the advice.

Originally posted by psee View Post
                Agreed. For that price, I rather get a pre-owned Exp-1 ...
                Exp 1, that is a good idea!

Originally posted by Oceanklassik View Post
                Not worth it. I tend not to trust such relations anymore but I am not saying that your case is similar to mine. Do more legwork la.

Legwork in process. heh

Comment

Be very careful when buying vintage watches. I will give such watches a miss.

Comment

Interestingly

It turns out my friend brought the watches to Top Hour and was told that the two watches were in perfect condition for a vintage with no need for an overhaul at all. So it turns out the watches will be a good buy then?

Comment

i think it is better that you put down the model of the watches so that better advice can be given.

a 1501 and 6694 has got different values. both can be considered as vintage.
                      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                        i think it is better that you put down the model of the watches so that better advice can be given.

I think both are not 6694 bro... Based on the pictures, can still roughly make out the number of lines on the bottom part of the dial.

6694 should only have 1 line "PRECISION"...

So I believe both should be 1501...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Comment

I believe the prices quoted is without papers right? Kinda high IMO if still need to cough out so much to service these 2 watches...

Also no point paying so much as they are not so "collectable" in terms of vintage watches... Juz my point of view...

Comment

Originally posted by Radiolite22 View Post
                            I believe the prices quoted is without papers right? Kinda high IMO if still need to cough out so much to service these 2 watches...

Also no point paying so much as they are not so "collectable" in terms of vintage watches... Juz my point of view...
                            The thing is most of the bros here are selling such watches at about 2k too. Hmm.. the old pieces have a certain charm to them. Dont you agree?

Originally posted by triton View Post

Think it is a 1501 or so my friend says.

Comment

From the pics, both watches are 1500 model and not 1501.

Asking price you quoted is too high for either of these watches, suprised that a relative would 'kill' someone like that.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X