vintage oyster date or precision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage oyster date or precision

some of the old models are very pretty, and affordable.

does anyone have a recommendation of a nice ref.6694 or something from that generation that is worth having? a really definitive piece?

hmnn understand that there's alot of 'modified' 6694..... was offered $1.5k for a piece.... with cert and overhaul papers....don't know if it's a good buy.... any suggestion?
    Rolex TT Submariner Date Blue Dial (Ref#116613LB)
    Rolex Deep Sea Sea Dweller (Ref#116660)
    Rolex 18K/SS Oyster Perpetual Datejust (Ref#16233)
    Omega Seamaster 300M Chrono (Ref#2920.80.91)

Comment

I have my reservations about it...
      for these old pieces I realise that if you want one you have to know what you're buying. Some refurb is inevitable... but some of them are so heavily overhauled and modified that they become "franken".

I was in 2 diff shops and the owners were honest to tell me "oh, this one has a tudor movement with rolex dial" or "oh... this one don't buy lah. It's redialed".

Further, RSC charges about 2x as much to work on these old pieces... and if they are incomplete e.g. non-original strap and you don't have the original bracelet, they will insist on selling you new parts and it will cost too much.

So... to have these vintage 6694... you really need to have a reliable independent watchmaker to maintain them for you.

Comment

disagree about the charges being 2x as much..........it depends on the condition of the watch.........

ultimately can always check with rsc on the authenticity of the watch including the movement parts ......

good ones can still be found...... i know of a couple of people wearing their dad's hand-me down watches....

this one dates back to 1973........and received its first and only service a couple of years ago at the rsc after decades of ticking......

quite fun to wind it everyday......but nowadays returned to my dad as i have my fair share to take care of....
        the hype is true. listen at your own risk.
        visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

i still find the oysterdate a classic.... but i can also understand y ppl refer this model to the 'ah pek rolex'...
          A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office.

Just me and my NT...

Comment

I would like to get my hands on a 16013 in leather strap if I find one in good condition.
            Submariner 14060
            Breitling Colt Auto II
            Chopard Mille Miglia GMT
            Bell & Ross BR03-92
            MM20

Comment

I like the idea of some handwinds too...
              I find automatics a bit "leh cheh"...

Right now, I would like to find an authentic handwound movement with the explorer I dial...

Comment

Hi!

my first post in here...

i just got a hand-me-down from my dad... a 1970 oysterdate 6694. i'm the 2nd owner!

it's currently at the RSC for an overhaul and new bracelet.

hope it looks and works as good as new when i get it!

Comment

a 70s 6694 most likely come with a lightweight folded-link oyster bracelet.....how about the new bracelet..?.....
                  visit my watch and audio blog oohlins.blogspot & learn how to use the rolex comfort link

Comment

i dunno... the watch is still with RSC.

will take pics of both the new and old when i get it back!

Comment

i think the bracelet is trade-in basis........dun think u will get the old one back ......did they say anything?

Comment

i asked them about getting the old bracelet and clasp back, they told me i'd get it.

internal parts however, will be retained by them.

Comment

i got my watch back!

there are some pictures that i took which are too big to attach here, but i've uploaded to flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1085300...7601579816602/

some observations...the new bracelet i got isn't the exact one as the original as u can see in the pics... the new clasp is broader.

the new bracelet is also very stiff, much mroe than i'd expected... it somehow feels....cheap (!) but still, u can see how the orignal bracelet has loosened over the 37 years....

the polishing job i felt was rather crude...i can feel the case being very rough to the touch, and the acrylic crystal still has some minor marks, but i supposed that can't be helped...

also, i had new hands installed, so i suppose i'll lose the tritium-tipped hands forever...

Comment

loooks good from pictures.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

folded-link oyster bracelet no more oredi that's why they can only replace with this heavier style of oyster bracelet......i think it's nice mah......

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X