Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Vintage?

Hi,

Why do people like vintage rolex watches when the prices come close or are even higher than new pieces? Often these vintage pieces come less than perfect condition. So why vintage?
    My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
    Rolex Submariner 16610
    Rolex Submariner 116610
    Rolex Date 1550
    IWC Spitfire Chronograph 371705
    IWC Portuguese 7 Days 500107
    Omega Ocean Planet 22015000
    Bell & Ross Heritage BR126
    Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
    Seiko Sumo SBDC001
    Seiko Sumo SBDC003
    Seiko Marinemaster SBDX012
    Seiko Brightz SDGZ013 Chronograph

I've seen collectors snapping up trashed up condition vintage pieces, and being a collector myself, I can understand why:

1. A vintage has that old school allure that contemporary watches cannot provide - riveted/folded bracelets, single lock clasps etc.
    2. Vintage watches typically makes use of plexi glass (plastic) that exudes a warmer look than the harsh glare that exudes from most contemporary watches with sapphire crystals
    3. Perceived value for speculation (vintage rolex sports watches have kept their value high over the years and dealers have made handsome profits out of flipping them.
    4. Therapeutic effect, the older slowbeat movements that ticks and tocks when you hold them to your ear and the visual feast of the patina on the tritium dial markers and hands, especially when it's well-aged. Just like savouring aged fine wine from france.

Before I started to look into vintage watches, I dissed off the idea of owning a 40 year old Rolex that costs a bomb... it felt real cheap and every link in the bracelet seem like they were falling apart. But... I soon got pulled into the dark side.
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
    --Groucho Marx--

*For faster response, pls direct all questions to my email: destro22bt@gmail.com thanks!

Comment

I'm still searching myself to appreciate vintage watches. I kinda' like the 6694 but the price..sigh..
      The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Maybe want to buy something that can't afford before....

Comment

Originally posted by Destro22BT View Post
          I've seen collectors snapping up trashed up condition vintage pieces, and being a collector myself, I can understand why:

1. A vintage has that old school allure that contemporary watches cannot provide - riveted/folded bracelets, single lock clasps etc.
          2. Vintage watches typically makes use of plexi glass (plastic) that exudes a warmer look than the harsh glare that exudes from most contemporary watches with sapphire crystals
          3. Perceived value for speculation (vintage rolex sports watches have kept their value high over the years and dealers have made handsome profits out of flipping them.
          4. Therapeutic effect, the older slowbeat movements that ticks and tocks when you hold them to your ear and the visual feast of the patina on the tritium dial markers and hands, especially when it's well-aged. Just like savouring aged fine wine from france.

Before I started to look into vintage watches, I dissed off the idea of owning a 40 year old Rolex that costs a bomb... it felt real cheap and every link in the bracelet seem like they were falling apart. But... I soon got pulled into the dark side.
          Well said.......

Comment

Originally posted by lthg25 View Post
            Hi,

Why do people like vintage rolex watches when the prices come close or are even higher than new pieces? Often these vintage pieces come less than perfect condition. So why vintage?

Maybe its the fact that vintage pieces are no longer in "production" whereas can just buy the recent ones...

Comment

Originally posted by sportee View Post
              Maybe its the fact that vintage pieces are no longer in "production" whereas can just buy the recent ones...
              maybe vintage can work / last better than current watches?
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Its like buying back mermories that we can not afford when we were young. Example: 1980s Transformer toys.
                Rolex stainless steel daytona (black dial)
                Rolex LV submariner
                Rolex TT black submariner
                Rolex GMT2 Pepsi
                Rolex Non date submariner
                Rolex Explorer2
                More...

Comment

Last longer?

Originally posted by zidaneong View Post
                  maybe vintage can work / last better than current watches?
                  I believe watch making tech has improved over the years and material used are more lasting and "better". I doubt vintage watches work or will last longer than current pieces. Plus for really old pieces, new parts may not be avaliable.

This said I am not saying vintage watches are not lasting or poor quaility. I am sure they are solid to last all this time......btw I like vintage watches too....
                  My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                  Rolex Submariner 16610
                  Rolex Submariner 116610
                  Rolex Date 1550
                  Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                  Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                  Seiko Sumo SBDC003

Comment

I believe watch making tech has improved over the years and material used are more lasting and "better". I doubt vintage watches work or will last longer than current pieces. Plus for really old pieces, new parts may not be avaliable.

This said I am not saying vintage watches are not lasting or poor quaility. I am sure they are solid to last all this time......btw I like vintage watches too....
                    lol, that is what i heard from the others too regarding vintage watches and craftmanship then.
                    Current Collection :

Comment

thats why they are considerd old man and we are young man.

old man tend to like to huai jiu more cos they been thru a lot.

young man have nothing to huai jiu yet so when become old man, a 2007 GMTIIc will be considered a piece of something for them to remember in their younger days.

so all vintage collectors, OWN UP GRAMPs!!
                      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

i am one the old man...i prefer vintage...hehehe....becoz uncommon mah...lol...
                        Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak

Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen

Quoted from Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

But i am still "young"

Well I am in my early 30s but i still like the look of vintage rolex. It has a very cool factor to it. The crystal looks a lot better than ones uses these days. Modern design looks very to date with new materials and new looks. But vintage has this nice feel to it. The vintage i have is even older than myself!
                          My Current

Rolex Daytona 116515
                          Rolex Submariner 16610
                          Rolex Submariner 116610
                          Rolex Date 1550
                          Grand Seiko GMT SBGM021
                          Seiko Sumo SBDC001
                          Seiko Sumo SBDC003

Comment

Well I am in my early 30s but i still like the look of vintage rolex. It has a very cool factor to it. The crystal looks a lot better than ones uses these days. Modern design looks very to date with new materials and new looks. But vintage has this nice feel to it. The vintage i have is even older than myself!
                            u mean plexi right? a bit like plastic like that?
                            I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

Originally posted by exxondus View Post
                              thats why they are considerd old man and we are young man.

old man tend to like to huai jiu more cos they been thru a lot.

young man have nothing to huai jiu yet so when become old man, a 2007 GMTIIc will be considered a piece of something for them to remember in their younger days.

so all vintage collectors, OWN UP GRAMPs!!
                              oic. i am still young.
                              Current Collection :

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X