Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changed dial makes vintage models less valuable? N how much should org papers cost :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed dial makes vintage models less valuable? N how much should org papers cost :)

Hello,

I am new and appreciate some opinions from the experts in this forum.

For old Rolex sports models (say 5512/3, 1655, 1675 or 1680 etc) that has its dial changed sometime down the road by Rolex centre, would that affect the value? Noted that some much earlier models have gilt dial and some in white... if being replaced by later original dials that are printed in white though still tritium without white gold rim on the hour marker, will that affect the value greatly?

I am considering this GMT1675 manufactured in II72 (serial nbr 325xxxx which should be correct) and sold in 1978 with receipt. Also had a dial change reciept from Rolex in 1988.
    The watch comes with complete set like written g'tee(was told punched gtee paper only started on 80s), instruction booklet, int and ext box, tag, etc...
    I am wondering if it is all worth it to pay US$1-2k more to get the original papers?? I know vintage box is only less than $100.. What if I lose or damage the org papers hahaha than value drop.....

Understand that economy is bad and prices are falling... anyone able to give me a gauge how much a above average condition GMT1675 in complete set should be? While I do have spare money, cash is always more handy in time of financial crisis... wonder how many are in the same predicament...
    Wonder if I should just get a watch without papers...

All comments most appreciated! I am deciding on the purchase next week

Much thanks!

Hardcore collectors will always want the original dial.

You did not mention what price you are looking at.
    What do you mean pay $1-2k more to get papers? It should either come with the set, or not. If your set is complete other than papers... there is a chance the set was "assembled" ... and the box-set is not the original one with the watch.

This should add $500 to the price... but if the box-set with papers is original to the watch, it should cost about 30% more than a watch without boxes/papers.

As a rule of thumb, barring the earlier "gilt" dial models... the international market price for a nice good condition 1675 should be about US$3500, and with boxes/papers about US$5-6k.

If it is earlier "gilt" dial models... even more.

this assumes original dial. If the dial was changed at service at some point ... it may be worth buying only if the watch is very cheap , so you can factor in maybe US$500-600 to buy a replacement "old" dial.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
    Working...
    X