Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time buyer please assist me.

Hi guys,

Am very new to expensive watches (even though 5-10k is not counted ex by many ppl).

I have narrowed down my choices to Submariner black but I have a few burning questions.

1) Date or no date, the price difference is about 3k? Issit really necessary for the date? Does it look really different when worn?

2) 1st hand or 2nd hand? i would really need advice on this about the pros and cons of it.

3) If it is 2nd hand, i am very puzzled by the fact that the price range is very wide for 2nd hand submariner black.
    I saw $4950 from monster watches, 5-6k + from roc forum, 7-9k from pawnshop websites?
    Why is there such a big difference? am i missing out something here like there might be different variant to it?
    Because to me it all looks the same.

4) Lastly if new, where should i buy it from? any good recommendations that i can go to?

I guess i will stop my questions here before i flood out my potential helpful fellow forumer.

Thank you all in advance.

Hi guys,

Am very new to expensive watches (even though 5-10k is not counted ex by many ppl).

I have narrowed down my choices to Submariner black but I have a few burning questions.

1) Date or no date, the price difference is about 3k? Issit really necessary for the date? Does it look really different when worn?

If you're referring to the new Submariner models, ie 116610LN and 114060LN, they are priced at $11,120 and $9,750 respectively. Difference is only $1,370. Whether the date is necessary is a personal preference.

2) 1st hand or 2nd hand? i would really need advice on this about the pros and cons of it.

Simple. First hand, you pay more and lose even more when you intend to sell the watch away subsequently. But at least, it is authentic and you buy with a peace of mind, and of course, you're the first owner. As for a 2nd hand pc, it will be the opposite of what was mentioned.

3) If it is 2nd hand, i am very puzzled by the fact that the price range is very wide for 2nd hand submariner black.
    I saw $4950 from monster watches, 5-6k + from roc forum, 7-9k from pawnshop websites?
    Why is there such a big difference? am i missing out something here like there might be different variant to it?

I think you might have made inaccurate comparisons between the date and non-date models. You might have also mixed up the older and newer models. The older models come in steel bezels and should cost lesser than the new models, those with ceramic bezels.

4) Lastly if new, where should i buy it from? any good recommendations that i can go to?

If you are going to buy new, you can likely go for the new models (in ceramic bezels) only. The older ones have been discontinued and very unlikely you can find new stocks. You have many options for a new pc ranging from the ADs to grey dealers and PIs.

I guess i will stop my questions here before i flood out my potential helpful fellow forumer.

The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Im going to provide a different perspective from the previous poster.

Vintage rolexes will hold their value, especially if the model has been discontinued. Besides, if you are buying a rolex to keep, then the resale value is trumped by the value you might have on how the rolex has "had a life" before. A patina, some scratches, a tropical dial could represent that value.

You certainly want all original parts, including the papers, box and certificates no matter what though.

I chose a non-date Submariner 14060 because of the tritium patina and that it was over two decades old. My intention is to hand it down to my son and just wear my '65 Seiko 62MAS in another two decades. But I know I'm not a collector, and I especially put a premium on vintage, so this might not be your intention.

I had a wonderful experience with P________ W____ at Golden Landmark. No rush, and very detailed walkthrough of all the components, especially when I said I have no idea of Rolexes and am a complete blank slate of what to expect. If I ever buy another discontinued Rolex (probably a Sea Dweller), I would return to that shop to see V_____.

Welcome to your first foray into getting a Rolex. I hope it will be as pleasant as mine.

Comment

if you want to step into the world of vintage, then it is totally a different experience. some factors you may want to consider. the most compelling factor is availability of parts such as dials, special glass to service a vintage watch

do you consider a 14060 as vintage? i wont consider it vintage.

Originally posted by markliew View Post
        Im going to provide a different perspective from the previous poster.

Vintage rolexes will hold their value, especially if the model has been discontinued. Besides, if you are buying a rolex to keep, then the resale value is trumped by the value you might have on how the rolex has "had a life" before. A patina, some scratches, a tropical dial could represent that value.

You certainly want all original parts, including the papers, box and certificates no matter what though.

I chose a non-date Submariner 14060 because of the tritium patina and that it was over two decades old. My intention is to hand it down to my son and just wear my '65 Seiko 62MAS in another two decades. But I know I'm not a collector, and I especially put a premium on vintage, so this might not be your intention.

I had a wonderful experience with P________ W____ at Golden Landmark. No rush, and very detailed walkthrough of all the components, especially when I said I have no idea of Rolexes and am a complete blank slate of what to expect. If I ever buy another discontinued Rolex (probably a Sea Dweller), I would return to that shop to see V_____.

Welcome to your first foray into getting a Rolex. I hope it will be as pleasant as mine.
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

1) i wont comment whether date is necessary for me or not. it is up to individual whether you feel that a watch with date is useful to you or not. a rolex is not a rolex without the cyclops aka magnify glass. if you want a date without the cyclops then you may have to consider the sea dweller/deep sea sea dweller.

2) why the price difference? couple of factors may or may not determine the price difference.
          • the watch itself. a T series sub vs a M series sub sub. (there is a thread on series in rolex concierge section) T series being older while a M series is newer.
          • does the watch comes with box and papers?
          • condition of watch itself
          • other factors

3) BNIB vs per-own - again there is a thread on it, do a search.

4) preown watches, go preown shop to buy, buy new - either gray dealers (check out the garage section) or AD (do a google search on rolex and authorized dealers)

Originally posted by Seiko1561 View Post
          Hi guys,

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Yes I do consider a '92 discontinued model as a vintage. Again, not a collector so a 5513, military sub, or 6538 is way beyond what I'm looking for to wear and want to pay.

Comment

With or without date is a personal preference, buy I would suggest u get new from grey dealer .. U save some money and get the enjoy the new watch feeling, all you need to do is to do a verification at a small fee of $107.00 at RSC

Comment

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all of your replies, now that I have a better picture I can start my physical hunt.

Thank you all for replying.

Sincerely

Comment

Hi guys,

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all of your replies, now that I have a better picture I can start my physical hunt.

Thank you all for replying.

Sincerely

To many think also not so good: From my point of view: People like me not a collector but love ROLEX : I try so many old model but not satisfied: Why easy i like and love rolex but i not a collector so i do know how to appreciate vintage or old model: New model make me so outstanding satisfied and i don't think too much of flipping: I set my gold save the $ i go for new model: I can say that i very happy fully satisfied i don't think of flipping: I hope you understand my point of view: Go for sub c whit date very outstanding: brand new at SG ROC is about 9k to 9.2 depending on the seller: Pre owned is about 8k to 8.3 also depending on the seller: But abang is all up to you i only try to help: Save money and Happy Hunting !!

Comment

Thanks all. Need some views from u guys here. Got a quote from AD @ $8775. Issit a fair price? I think it is 10% off retail as retail shld be $9750.

Comment

Thanks all. Need some views from u guys here. Got a quote from AD @ $8775. Issit a fair price? I think it is 10% off retail as retail shld be $9750.
                      What model please give full outstanding info: If not how to help

Comment

Originally posted by Rolex116613
                        14060 is not considered a vintage from my point of view. It is just another discontinued watch.
                        I wouldn't recommend a new buyer to start with vintage, there are just too many factors that you need to know.
                        Agreed. Going into vintage without research is as good as throwing $ to the sea

Comment

Originally posted by Hiroki View Post
                          What model please give full outstanding info: If not how to help
                          Rolex submariner black 114060.

Comment

I think the discount given to you is good. I don't think I can get that amount of discount from any AD I know.

Go for it if you are comfortable with the price (8775).
                            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

TS, so u pull the trigger already?
                              My Current Collection :
                              Rolex Submariner 116610LN
                              Rolex Submariner 116610LV aka Hulk
                              Rolex Airking 14000
                              Panerai Submersible Special Edition 364
                              Panerai Luminor 112
                              Omega speed master moonwatch 3570.50
                              Tissot Visodate

Sold and regretted since then