Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functionality of explorer I???

Hi all,

I know majority of the Rolex sports/professional series watch comes with it's special function.

Milguass
    With it's anti magnetic shield having high resistivity up to 1,000 Gauss.

GMT MasterII
    With it's bidirectional bezel and 24hr hand allowing ppl who travel often to keep track of up to 3 different time zones.
    It comes with steel, tt and full gold because there is no severe exposure to adverse environment.

Daytona
    With it's tachymeter allowing the measurement of speed in races.

Submariner
    With it's unidirectional bezel allow divers to keep track of the diving time.
    Also it's glide lock extension claps enable the bracelet to fit over a diving suit.
    Due to it's popularity, other than steel, it comes in tt full, gold and white gold too for ppl to use it as a dress watch.

Deep sea
    Similar to sub with it's unidirectional bezel allow divers to keep track of the diving time.
    Also it's glide lock extension claps enable the bracelet to fit over a diving suit.
    In addition, there is a helium escape valve allowing pressure to be release during deep sea diving
    Due to it's requirement in exposure to adverse conditions, it only comes in steel.

Explorer II
    It's high legibility allow cave dwellers to read e time even in low light conditions.
    The 24hr hand also assist to differentiate between day and night.
    Due to it's requirement in exposure to adverse conditions, it only comes in steel.

Can anyone advise on the functionality of explorer I???
    Other then it's profound historical back ground???

Originally posted by kt Lim View Post
    Hi all,

I know majority of the Rolex sports/professional series watch comes with it's special function.

Milguass

GMT MasterII
    With it's bidirectional bezel and 24hr hand allowing ppl who travel often to keep track of up to 3 different time zones.
    It comes with steel, tt and full gold because there is no severe exposure to adverse environment.

Daytona

Submariner
    Due to it's popularity, other than steel, it comes in tt full, gold and white gold too for ppl to use it as a dress watch.

Deep sea
    Similar to sub with it's unidirectional bezel allow divers to keep track of the diving time.
    In addition, there is a helium escape valve allowing pressure to be release during deep sea diving

Explorer II
    It's high legibility allow cave dwellers to read e time even in low light conditions.

To tell time :P

Back then in the dress watch era, explorer is consider a tough sporty watch for sporting and exploration.

Comment

Hi all,

Milguass

GMT MasterII

Daytona

Submariner

Deep sea

Explorer II

Forgetting the Yacht-Master ? ^^

Comment

Hahaha!
        That's the ultimate answer. I feel strangely insulted though, since I have the Exp I. I got it because I like it. And, I don't race, don't dive, don't explore caves, don't fly very often and don't go on yachts. The Exp I is just my type of watch!

Originally posted by khimwoon View Post
        To tell time :P

Back then in the dress watch era, explorer is consider a tough sporty watch for sporting and exploration.

Comment

Originally posted by Motomarc View Post
          Hahaha!
          That's the ultimate answer. I feel strangely insulted though, since I have the Exp I. I got it because I like it. And, I don't race, don't dive, don't explore caves, don't fly very often and don't go on yachts. The Exp I is just my type of watch!
          Haha meant for as a joke... but that the facts... we being so engrossed in the function till we forget the most impt... which is to tell time in a reliable manner...

Back then it was a gentleman sport watch... dressy yet tough enough for basic sporting function like the AP RO and PP Naut

Comment

rolex explorer one is one of the watch which made it to mount everest first. since then. many expedition to summits, rolex been sponsoring.

thats what i read with regards to explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by Motomarc View Post
              Hahaha!

Bro, don get me wrong... I personally like e model very much... It's e beginning of all Rolex sports watch... I know it's history very well... The 3,6,9 dial, the robust construction, the sleek design... Sometime u really understand when less really is more...

Maybe the function really is just like it's design "to tell time" ... Simple...

Cheers

Comment

I was looking around for a watch since last March. Wanted to get something simple and classy, yet robust and solid. Looked around at so many different brands and got an "education". There are just so many nice watches but so little cash. When it came to the Rolex, who hasn't heard of a Rolex, I thought it was too "uncle" and also just too many people wearing rolexes, Rolex lookalikes, replicas, homage models and it was too common. But then, I saw the explorer I. How many people actually own and wear the explorer I? I got poisoned. But I couldn't commit, it was so much money for a simple watch. Could have paid the same for a top end, functional watch with a good movement, but I could just not turn away from the 369 plain face. No date, no movable bezel, no extra chrono dials, but it worked for me. Didn't even know about the history! Just loved the watch.
                Only now am I reading more about what makes a Rolex a Rolex and what made the explorer special. No regrets so far. Just a fear of scratching it. Hahahaha

Bro, don get me wrong... I personally like e model very much... It's e beginning of all Rolex sports watch... I know it's history very well... The 3,6,9 dial, the robust construction, the sleek design... Sometime u really understand when less really is more...

Maybe the function really is just like it's design "to tell time" ... Simple...

Cheers

Comment

Read this bro...your love for your explorer will deepen...

http://www.rolex-chat.com/a-complete...xplorer-i.html

Cheers

Comment

Thanks man, but the link doesn't work.
                    I found another
                    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/his...ml#post3692041

Read this bro...your love for your explorer will deepen...

http://www.rolex-chat.com/a-complete...xplorer-i.html

Cheers

Comment

A given "name" (such as explorer, deep sea) does not necessary has to reflect additional function other than tells time. Sometimes a "named watch" or "themed watch" could be designed and built to suit certain purpose with different spec or materials used. For example you could simply give a fanciful name to a plain pilot watch that has a clean & easy to read dial but did nothing more than telling time.

In the case of explorer 1, it is supposed to be more readable than the DJ with its dial design and lume and the bigger mercs hands as opposed to those of DJ. We may say that Rolex differentiate (or differentiated) explorer (and other models) among its own range of products not against the competitions. I read that once upon a time explorer 1 was built with special lubricant that can allowed the watch to withstand extreme cold & heat/temperature change and hence together with the readable dial was suitable for expedition/exploration (mentioned in the link above too).

Today, some of the DJ models also have similar dial as the explorer 1, and I don't think the explorer 1 uses special lubricant anymore (?). So I think the current explorer 1 carries only the look and is mainly selling on its reputation rather than performance, though it does come with an easylink extension that are used in some sport models.
                      Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

explorer 1 and submariner ND are my personal fav! just love the balance dial design.

Comment

Sum up.

Tell time with special lubricant when exploring caves.
                          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

given a choice of explorer 40mm vs datejust 16233 , which will you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by OilNGas View Post
                              given a choice of explorer 40mm vs datejust 16233 , which will you choose?
                              Always explorer... u referring to the new 39mm explorerI 214270 or old 40mm explorerii 16570???

Anyway no matter which, Rolex sports(professional) model always be e choice for me...

Cheers

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X