Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skydweller_sg View Post
    You appear biased against rolex models except for those you own
    I own a DSSD too! Thankfully before the price hike.

Originally posted by skydweller_sg View Post
    have to agree with you
    the moment ss sport rolex exceed 20k, i'd switch to AP anytime
    It's already happening....

Originally posted by hohoho8885 View Post
    well, AP prices might increase too
    Cannot compare rolex movt with AP movt bro.
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Comment

• Originally posted by hohoho8885 View Post
      well, AP prices might increase too
      The new 44mm AP ROO in S/Steel is some $35K + like it a lot but it's 10-15K more than I'll bother pay on any watch.
      ROLEX.

Comment

• The ROO's are way above my budget too.
        And furthermore, i can't see myself wearing an ROO when i'm 50+yrs old. If i'm paying 35+k for a watch, it better look good on my wrist even when i turn 80.

Referring more to the RO's in my post just now. Besides, the 15300 and 15400 have a solid inhouse calibre.

Comment

• I guess apart from size , 39mm to 41mm, nothing changed between the 15300 and 15400
          Quite effortless if you asked me, compared to the technical improvements made by rolex to the dssd

Comment

• DSSD just make more watertight, use the same gas escape valve as in the sea-dweller. Glidelock bracelet is cool, but not a technical marvel either. And practically speaking, the watch will be used probably more for desk diving and submersion in the bathtub.

I would rather pay premium for a movement made from scratch, rather than improvements to the waterproofing and wrist-fit.

anyway, i got both the DSSD and AP. So no hard feelings.

Comment

• If its not an engineering marvel, then why arent other brands able to achieve the same or even better 3900m water rating for their automatic sports models?

Originally posted by dark.magnet View Post
              DSSD just make more watertight, use the same gas escape valve as in the sea-dweller. Glidelock bracelet is cool, but not a technical marvel either. And practically speaking, the watch will be used probably more for desk diving and submersion in the bathtub.

I would rather pay premium for a movement made from scratch, rather than improvements to the waterproofing and wrist-fit.

anyway, i got both the DSSD and AP. So no hard feelings.

Comment

If its not an engineering marvel, then why arent other brands able to achieve the same or even better 3900m water rating for their automatic sports models?
                Valid point but end of day it's just not required.... The sport / recreational diving at 18-40m, Military Divers 30-80m.... Even saturation bell divers will go to 80-150m.... those in special 'hard' suits perhaps 400-600m.

Rolex just wants to trump all other brands for depth rating in a mechanical watch... it's their grail - as history has showed, they've always tried to be at the top of the diving watch world, the Breitling Sea Wolf Avenger at 3000m shook that up big time..... as did the IWC Aquatimer at 2000m.

Hence DSSD at 3900m... but is tested to about 4500m and survives !!
                ROLEX.

Comment

• Lets see who is the next to breach the 3900m mark for automatic watches

Comment

Lets see who is the next to breach the 3900m mark for automatic watches
                    At the BaselWorld watch and jewellery show 2009, the CX Swiss Military Watch 20'000 FEET diving watch with an official depth rating of 6,000 m (20,000 ft) was introduced. This watch represented in its launch year, 2009, the most water resistant (mechanical) watch in production. For obtaining this official depth rating the water resistance is tested to a depth of 7,500 m (24,600 ft) To offer the 25% safety reserve required by the ISO 6425 divers' watches standard.
                    ROLEX.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dfive View Post
                      At the BaselWorld watch and jewellery show 2009, the CX Swiss Military Watch 20'000 FEET diving watch with an official depth rating of 6,000 m (20,000 ft) was introduced. This watch represented in its launch year, 2009, the most water resistant (mechanical) watch in production. For obtaining this official depth rating the water resistance is tested to a depth of 7,500 m (24,600 ft) To offer the 25% safety reserve required by the ISO 6425 divers' watches standard.
                      http://www.ablogtoread.com/cx-swiss-...-watch-review/
                      ROLEX.

Comment

• no one can deny that the DSSD has fantastic depth rating. Dfive's diligent research has made known to us another lesser known watch with even greater depth rating.

I'd rather my watch tell great time at sea level than be able to dive deep and smile back at me underwater where it's too dark even to see the watchface. The submariner is already a proven workhorse, enough for the deepest of recreational diving. DSSD's dive abilities to some, may be a littlle redundant. It's a nice big cool thing to don on the wrist, but i really don't think brands should be in too much of a hurry to compete for the title of "most watertight watch ever", where the practical usage is limited. It's like splitting hairs.

Who is a professional diver here? Please raise your hand or stand up.

It's just like how various countries wanna build the tallest structure in the world. Petronas twin towers, taiwan tower, dubai tower blah blah blah...at the cost of additional billions.

Comment

• Originally posted by dark.magnet View Post
                          no one can deny that the DSSD has fantastic depth rating. Dfive's diligent research has made known to us another lesser known watch with even greater depth rating.

I'd rather my watch tell great time at sea level than be able to dive deep and smile back at me underwater where it's too dark even to see the watchface. The submariner is already a proven workhorse, enough for the deepest of recreational diving. DSSD's dive abilities to some, may be a littlle redundant. It's a nice big cool thing to don on the wrist, but i really don't think brands should be in too much of a hurry to compete for the title of "most watertight watch ever", where the practical usage is limited. It's like splitting hairs.

Who is a professional diver here? Please raise your hand or stand up.

It's just like how various countries wanna build the tallest structure in the world. Petronas twin towers, taiwan tower, dubai tower blah blah blah...at the cost of additional billions
                          I was, and did it for a few years (2) only.... as one of my friends dads told me - do it for 2-5 years max to earn the $$$$... otherwise your health WILL suffer. ( he did it for 20+ years and died a few years ago because his bones went to mush. )
                          [ what did I use? Two at the same time actually = A Citizen Pro Divers 300m watch, and a Sunnto Spyder Divers Watch ( computer ) plus my gauges. ]

So agree on the tall building thing, perhaps we should establish a "tall building syndrome" Like companies wanting the most expensive watch, fastest car, etc....
                          ROLEX.

Comment

• Thanks for the info
                            Didnt know the 'king' with ground breaking 3900m rating was dethroned some 3yr ago by some lower tier brand

Comment

• Yes there may be many more watches which can go deeper in the ocean bed but STILL only one legendary Deepsea, get the point?

Comment

• Originally posted by Storm trooper View Post
                                Yes there may be many more watches which can go deeper in the ocean bed but STILL only one legendary Deepsea, get the point?
                                I don't think the Deepsea has achieved "legendary" status yet. However, the Deepsea's older brother the Sea-Dweller has achieved that "legendary" status due to its COMEX linkages and heritage with US Navy's Sea-Lab (where the Helium Release Valve was joint-developed).

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X