How tough is a Rolex? Testing the Rolex Sea-Dweller (Ref. 16600) to 1200m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A simple anatomy of the Rolex Sea-Dweller (Ref. 16600) - Part 3

Let us consider the Rolex Cal. 3135 Automatic Winding Module. The automatic winding system is bi-directional, in the style of ETA/Eterna. The two red coloured wheels seem to be made of a light alloy, and both are coated with Teflon, for lubrication purposes of the Outer Gear Teeth and Inner Clicks. The red wheels are trademarks of Rolex. Unlike ETA's reversing wheels, Rolex designed the wheels to be dismountable (for better servicing). They are easier to clean and oil (only pivots should be oiled). Thus, they are more durable than ETAs. The picture below shows a disassembled first wheel. There are four clicks on two swinging levers.

The picture below shows all Bridges removed. The wheel train system is traditional for a movement with central seconds. Because it uses fewer wheels, this system is very robust and very reliable. However, the construction requirements are tougher. In other systems where central seconds are made as a pinion added to the train wheel, the automatic winding module can be placed to one side, making the movement thinner. Rolex's construction is such that the automatic winding device is placed above the wheel train. This makes the movement being 6 mm high (quite thick for a modern movement). From the picture, one can notice a gold lever (yellow arrow). It is a stop device and it keeps the balance rim from moving when the crown is pulled out. Two regulating nuts for balance bridge (blue arrows) are made for balance endshake adjustment. 1/8 of a turn makes about 0.01 mm.

Normally for high quality watches, the Calendar Bridge (hidden under the dial) is finished in Perlage style. To reduce friction, the calendar ring is mounted on 3 jewels.

In the picture below, one can see the instantaneous date changing mechanism. There is a steel part of complex shape (2) mounted on the date wheel (1). It can move at a certain small angle, set by the slot. The jewel roller (5) moves on the surface of the steel part (2). The lever (3) with roller is pressed against the steel part (2) with a strong spring (4). At approximately 12 p.m. the jewel roller reaches the indentation or dip in the steel part (2). Under the pressure of the spring, the roller moves to the center of the date wheel (1) and moves the steel part at an angle sufficient to catch the tooth of the date wheel and move it on one step. In the Fig. 13 the date wheel (1) is in the position immediately after date changing.

The picture below shows a bronze bushing instead of a central jewel. This construction is more reliable than a jewel during shocks. Furthermore, it is easier to replace the bushing than a Jewel, so it is not a disadvantage, but rather a feature of this Calibre.

For more reading, please visit the following great sites… pictures and text are taken from:
    http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/a...135/3135_1.htm
    http://marina.fortunecity.com/westindia/59/dfg.htm
    [U] [/U]

[COLOR="Blue"]4000ft = 1220m[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/meyersound/moi-SD.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

More pictures of a disassembled (stripped) Rolex Cal. 3135 Movement

More pictures of a disassembled (stripped) Rolex Cal. 3135 Movement

images and more reading of the Rolex Cal. 3135 Movement from:
      http://montresuisses.blogspot.com/20...olex-3135.html
      [U] [/U]

[COLOR="Blue"]4000ft = 1220m[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/meyersound/moi-SD.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by meyersound View Post
        To read more about Rolexes which survived accidents/disasters, please visit:
        http://www.minus4plus6.com/photos/photo34.htm
        While its great to see real evidence on how tough a Rolex can be ... looking at the website is like watching a horror movie man ... cringe at every picture.

Comment

deepsea....SD sub is way more than enuf for me le. I nvr even get to dive into 2 meters deep water. Btw,last time i heard some article said about how deep human can dive underwater...if memory bo salah its 30 meters.Any diver in the house to verify this...?

Comment

Nice Avater picture! Who/Whatz that?

Originally posted by louie View Post
            deepsea....SD sub is way more than enuf for me le. I nvr even get to dive into 2 meters deep water. Btw,last time i heard some article said about how deep human can dive underwater...if memory bo salah its 30 meters.Any diver in the house to verify this...?

Comment

Originally posted by 116520 View Post
              Nice Avater picture! Who/Whatz that?
              YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND!Cyclon centurion! from the TV serial battlestar Galactica!!

Comment

YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND!Cyclon centurion! from the TV serial battlestar Galactica!!
                WOW bro ! you are my era leh i too grew up with this TV Show and shows like >>> I Love Genie, Bewitched, Mind Your Language, Mr Bean and Allo Allo.

*** EMMANUEL***

Comment

Originally posted by UncleLau View Post
                  WOW bro ! you are my era leh i too grew up with this TV Show and shows like >>> I Love Genie, Bewitched, Mind Your Language, Mr Bean and Allo Allo.

than shld i be offered the title of Uncle liao lor?!

Comment

One can definately go deeper than 30mtrs, the last dive I went close to 35mtrs and thats not the limit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by danielskl View Post
                      One can definately go deeper than 30mtrs, the last dive I went close to 35mtrs and thats not the limit yet.
                      so how deep can or have a human dived in history?

Comment

deepest dive on scuba apparatus is around 350m or thereabouts.
                        for freediving, current record is around 250m i think.

heres video of a freedive at the blue hole arch at dahab... dept down to around 55m, but the traverse is very long. thi sis one of the most dangerous dive sites in the world, the bottom has quite a few unrecovered scuba bodies, but this guy freedives it!.. power. and you can see the multi stage bottles the tech divers accompanying him have to carry..
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrXQbucZUDA

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X