Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movements

Hallo guys,

Have studied the exterior of several Rolex and zoom into the New Sub, older version of SUB, and DSSD + SD ...

What i would like to understand and study is the Movement ....

If any owners or senior can advise the movement number and i can try do a research myself on the net for more information ...

Very very much appreciated and have a great day!

Also JFMI, daytona is also running on the same movement ? I no $$$ but would like to learn ...

Will try to post the movement links after my research and the difference should i understand ...

Hehehe

you're asking a very broad question. there are many rolex movements.

i will assume you only want to know about the NEW rolex movements.

as such, there are only a few:

3131 (found in the new-generation milgauss) - automatic movement without date (based on 3130), comes with blued anti-magnetic breguet freesprung balance spring (parachrom blue) and screwed on faraday cage.

3132 (found in the 39mm explorer) - automatic movement without date (based on 3130), comes with new shock absorbing system (paraflex) and parachrom blue spring.

3186 (found in some GMT2/EXP2 and all GMT2c) - with date and de-linked/independent gmt hand automatic movement (based on 3185), comes with parachrom blue spring and new gear trains.

3136 (found in DS-SD and SubC and DJ2) - automatic movement with date (based on 3135), comes with paraflex and parachrom blue spring.

3156 (found in DD2) - automatic movement with date and day (based on 3155), comes with paraflex, parachrom blue spring and larger plate (i think) and bigger day/date discs.

4130 (found in the new-generation daytonas) - automatic chronograph movement (30min/12hour elapsed) without date (entirely new caliber but i'm sure inspired by the 4030), with ceramic ball bearing shaft and parachrom blue spring - older versions have springs that are NOT blue. newer versions have springs that are blue.

4160 (found in the yacht master 2) - automatic chronograph movement (10min count-down) without date (new caliber but i think based on 4130/4030), with ceramic ball bearing shaft and parachrom blue spring.

7040 (found in cellini) - hand wind movement without date and centre second hand. i think 70-80 hours power reserve (!)

i may have left something out, but i typed this in a rush!
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by Supan View Post
      ...the New Sub, older version of SUB, and DSSD + SD ...

What i would like to understand and study is the Movement ....

...daytona is also running on the same movement ?
      if i may sum up:

the 15xx movements were slow beat but (mostly) manufactured by rolex. eg, 1570. this line of movements lasted quite long. it did not have quick set dates.

then an entirely new line of fast beat movements (28.8) with quick set date came out - the 30xx. eg, 3035. this line of movements didn't last very long.

31xx movements were based on 30xx movements - the 31xx movements had a full bridge instead of just a balance cock and a few other improvements. this line lasted quite long too. quick set day also introduced here.

eg, the older sub/sd is 3135, which is based on the 3035. the older day-date is 3055, which was later updated to 3155.

the older 4030 daytona is based on a zenith 400 (el primero) that has been detuned from 33.6 to 28.8 and modified to rolex standards and requirements.

before the 4030, rolex used valjoux (now ETA) 72 movements, known as the rolex 72, 72a, 72b and 722. google for the differences.

as i'm not a watch maker, do allow me to quote someone who knows what he's talking about:

Way back in 1957 Rolex produced their first really “in-house” movement. This was the Rolex 1500 series of calibers. This movement was really a work horse and could be found in some movements as late as 1990, although it had been replaced by the 3000 series in most models by 1977. In many ways the 1500 series was a very traditional wristwatch movement. Without the automatic module attached it has a similar layout to most wristwatch movements of the same period. It has an indirect drive center seconds pinion, and no quick set for the date — these are the two major downsides to this movement, but it works. I estimate that probably a third of all the Rolex movements I see for service are still from this generation. They are extremely durable and have well outlasted their 30 year projected life span. (That’s what happens when you take care of them, they last a really, really long time.)

The automatic unit on the 1500 series in many ways resembles what we have today. This is where Rolex introduced its famous red reversing wheels and really their have been some great tweaks to improve the winding capabilities and durability of this unit but the principles involved have not changed.

The 1500 series was available in chronometer and non-chronometer rated versions ranging from 18000bph to 19800bph and from 17 jewels to 26 jewels. In addition there are versions with flat regulated hairsprings, flat free sprung hairsprings and overcoil free sprung balances.

The last noteworthy area of the 1500 is their instantaneous date change. Although there was no quick set mechanism the cam and jewel system which creates an instantaneous and very precise date change appeared in this caliber and has continued to be used by Rolex until today.

This brings us to the caliber 3035 which began replacing the 1500 series in 1977, first in the Datejust an Day-Date. In 1981 it appeared in the Explorer II and GMT-II. The basic 3000 (non-date) caliber didn’t show up until 1990 when it replaced the 1570 in Air-King models (note: this was after the release of the 3100 series in 1988). Essentially the 3000 series had an 11 year run.

The 3035 introduced a quick-set date feature, a direct drive center seconds, and a high-beat oscillator operating at 28,800bph. In addition we saw a transition to micro-gearing throughout the movement and a fast rotating barrel. In order to help improve timing the oscillator was completely re-done without screws, but with microstella timing nuts on the inside of the wheel, which allowed the balance to have a greater diameter and therefore keep even better time.

These improvements made for some real changes that the customer would notice including a much smoother tick (or roll) of the seconds hand, a watch that was more accurate, and one on which it was easier to set the time and date. Because of the micro-gearing and some overpaid engineers, the 3035 began to deviate from the traditional layout of the wristwatch some. While the 1500 can be serviced following standard watchmaking procedures, a little inside knowledge and technical information will definitely yield better results on the 3035.

The 3035 wasn’t without problems but Rolex quickly rectified some of the small issues with this movement and it operates, still today very reliably and robustly. So, why did they eliminate it in just 11 years time? I dont’ knkow but lets look at some of the changes which took place with the release of the 3135.

The 3100 series of movements began to appear in 1988 in all date models from the Datejust, Day-Date, Explorer, and GMT but didn’t appear in Air-King or O.P. models until 2001.

The 3135 had an increased jewel count from 27 jewels in the 3035 to 31 Jewels in the 3135. This included jewels for the barrel arbor and in the automatic module – decreasing wear in two key areas. In fact nearly all the changes in the 3100 series were most likely effectuated in order to improve durability & reliability, or in order to facilitate the service or production procedures and are nearly invisible to the customer. One big exception is the quick-set day feature of the Day-Date.

Some of the technical changes include:

* A change to the overall layout which facilitates service procedures
      * A balance bridge supported from two sides with keyed nuts for adjusting endshake.
      * A balance protection bridge to protect the balance from damage caused by the oscillating weight when it receives a large shock.
      * A date jumper less prone to misadjustment.
      * A more reliable & robust quick set mechanism.

http://watchmakingblog.com/2009/12/1...olex-calibers/
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Thanks mate ... i am still reading your first post! It is very comprehensive ... and you are truly a pro!

however i am zooming into 3136 (found in DS-SD and SubC and DJ2) - automatic movement with date (based on 3135), comes with paraflex and parachrom blue spring.

3156 (found in DD2) - automatic movement with date and day (based on 3155), comes with paraflex, parachrom blue spring and larger plate (i think) and bigger day/date discs.

I will try to see what sort of difference .... in various movements itself ...

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
        Working...
        X