Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT IIc - airport pricing question

Hi all,

I'm flying from London to Sing to Aust and was looking at buying a GMT IIc (only transiting in Sing).

How much discount over RRP would I expect from the airport?

I know I can get tax back approx 6-7%. RRP list price was around SGD9883 so after tax refund is around SGD9191.

Heathrow seems to only give tax back (17%VAT). RRP is GBP4460 = SGD9247 so after VAT refund is GBP3811 = SGD7901.

Thanks!

make a quick stop into the city to buy your watch - you might get better prices. the country's so small it wouldn't take more than 2 hours to the mall and back if you plan before flying.

GST refunds can be made at the airport (or in some stores - but a slightly more tedious process).
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by funkyr View Post
      Hi all,

I'm flying from London to Sing to Aust and was looking at buying a GMT IIc (only transiting in Sing).

How much discount over RRP would I expect from the airport?

I know I can get tax back approx 6-7%. RRP list price was around SGD9883 so after tax refund is around SGD9191.

Heathrow seems to only give tax back (17%VAT). RRP is GBP4460 = SGD9247 so after VAT refund is GBP3811 = SGD7901.

Thanks!
      If I am not mistaken, the retailed price in airport is without tax. No more further tax rebate if you are getting it from the airport. Unless, you go out of airport and buy it in town. You may get slightly more discounts with tax rebates.

Comment

Originally posted by larry88
        SGD7901 is a VERY GOOD price. I dont' think you can (easily) get that price in Singapore, inside or outside of the airport.
        Thanks that's good to know... looks like the weak pound sterling has made it quite good to buy a rolex in the UK...

Comment

Agreed SGD7901 is one hell of a price if comparing with sg dealer prices.
          [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
          Blue 6694
          Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
          [U]"My collection"[/U]:
          [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
            If I am not mistaken, the retailed price in airport is without tax. No more further tax rebate if you are getting it from the airport. Unless, you go out of airport and buy it in town. You may get slightly more discounts with tax rebates.
            Correct. Basically all the shops inside airport incl Changi airport are selling without tax if you are travelling out of the country. BUT it does not mean that the retailers at airport will sell the watches at RRP minus GST/VAT, and definitely not RRP minus usual AD discount minus GST/VAT.

In other words, how the shops in airport price the watch vary, and you still have to do your homework in comparing the nett price with what you can get downtown after the AD discount. I have been trying to explain this to people who think that prices of watches at the airport are always cheaper since it's "duty free".
            Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by pegasi View Post
              Correct. Basically all the shops inside airport incl Changi airport are selling without tax if you are travelling out of the country. BUT it does not mean that the retailers at airport will sell the watches at RRP minus GST/VAT, and definitely not RRP minus usual AD discount minus GST/VAT.

In other words, how the shops in airport price the watch vary, and you still have to do your homework in comparing the nett price with what you can get downtown after the AD discount. I have been trying to explain this to people who think that prices of watches at the airport are always cheaper since it's "duty free".
              Ya, not all watches are cheap in the airport. Only models that are going at premium or w/o discount at the AD, are cheaper as airport sells at rpp, eg.like the new Sub C and LVC. Btw, Daytona is excluded, as it is still selling above list in the airport at 16.6k.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
              Working...
              X