No announcement yet.

Solar Compass in Explorer II and GMT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Compass in Explorer II and GMT ?

Hi guys

I came across a Rolex advert in Reader's Digest some years back featuring an explorer who takes compass bearings with his GMT-Master II. It should also work on the Explorer II the caliber is the same.

In the northern hemisphere, it seems like pointing the 24hr hand in the direction of the sun will result in it pointing to the north (and south if in the southern hemisphere). Has anyone tried to see if it works in Singapore?

Originally posted by profjohn View Post
    In the northern hemisphere, it seems like pointing the 24hr hand in the direction of the sun will result in it pointing to the north (and south if in the southern hemisphere). Has anyone tried to see if it works in Singapore?
    what does this it you referring to? the compass magnetic north?
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Yes that's right, the 24hr hand will point to the north
      Last edited by profjohn; 19-08-07, 05:01 PM.

Comment

see: http://www.londonwatchcompany.com/watches/GMtMaster.htm

The 1960’s brochure for the watch even included the following instructions for pilots on how to use the watch as an emergency compass. "In the Northern Hemisphere the Rolex GMT-Master may also be used as a compass. Simply point the hour hand towards the sun and automatically the red 24-hour hand will point to the North! Try it...! In the Southern Hemisphere it will point to the South."
        --

I am assuming that the GMT hand has to be correctly set first... since many people have it set wrongly!

Comment

Thanks for that, it works! That's one way to get a compass bearing. The 24 hr hand must be synchronised with local time.

The other way is to point the red 24 hr hand to the sun and the 12 o'clock position of the dial (where the Rolex crown is) will be the north.

It's a pity Rolex did not put these instructions in the Explorer and GMT user's booklet:

There's a good diagram and instructions right at the bottom of the page here:

http://fejack.net/misc/gmt24/gmt24.htm

Comment

that's a good read.
            now i understand my GMT better.

Comment

Now i know...

Heng Ah...today got a lot of time, so dig out all the old thread to read....now learn another function for my GMTII.
              Thank you
              My Small Collection :
              GMT II 16710 Coke U series
              JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
              Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
              Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
              Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
              PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
              BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Thanks for that, it works! That's one way to get a compass bearing. The 24 hr hand must be synchronised with local time.

The other way is to point the red 24 hr hand to the sun and the 12 o'clock position of the dial (where the Rolex crown is) will be the north.

It's a pity Rolex did not put these instructions in the Explorer and GMT user's booklet:

What if it's at noon? If U point 1200 hrs to the sun above, North will be is the ground?

Comment

no, it means that north is behind you
                  [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                  Blue 6694
                  Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                  [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                  [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Right...

because at 12 noon, the 24 hrs hand will be at 6 o'clock position
                    My Small Collection :
                    GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                    JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                    Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                    Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                    Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                    PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                    BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

so can i say that
                      rolex explorer II also fall into this category
                      since it has a a gmt hand
                      it only shy of moving the bezel to tell a third zone time

Comment

Great link! Thks for sharing
                        运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

Originally posted by rh1667 View Post
                          because at 12 noon, the 24 hrs hand will be at 6 o'clock position
                          12 o'clok point to sun above U @ noon, which means 24 hrs is pointing to the ground as North - then is not correct wat?

Comment

Think this can only be applied when the wearer is in the north pole...wondering, what will happen to a normal compass when its in northpole?
                            St Augustine "The present of things past is memory, the present of things present is sight, and the present of things future is expectation."

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X