Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub vs GMT IIc

Hi,

I am a Rolex newbie myself. Decided to get my first rolex which will either be Sub or GMT IIc.

After much reading of this and other Rolex forums, decided Sub date would be my first Rolex.
    Sub date is such a classic, its cheaper, and I like the bezel better as it's cleaner. I managed to secure a pre-owned set at a reasonable price. At time of purchase, there was another GMT IIc, but I did not even try it as the premium is 2K over the Sub date.

After wearing my Sub date for several weeks, I began to yearn for the GMTIIc, with its maxi dial and ceramic bezel after having seen the real thing. The dial has more clarity and presence due to maxi-lume and thicker hour-minute hands. Initially, I thought as a compromised is to get the LV (same maxi lume-dial and thicker hour/min hands) and change the bezel insert to Black. But the GMTIIc has a few other innovations (ceramic bezel, parachrom hairping) vs the Sub LV. After calling the same shop which happen to have a piece of GMT IIc, I paid them a visit. After putting on the GMTIIc, I traded in my Sub at slight discount.

Here's "my" pros and cons of the Sub vs GMT IIc.
    Pros
    - better built, the moment I held it, it feels more substantial, the new case, bracelet and clasp (with easylink for quick bracelet fine adjustment) feels solid, and fits better and more snug on the wrist.
    - the cyclop over the date has anti-reflective coat, makes it so much clearer looking at date.
    - the ceramic bezel is splendid, its tough, turns smoothly and has slight glossy sheen that gives the watch more presence.
    - I am not sure if the crystal has AR coating, but probably the shallower depth b/w the crystal and dial surface and the maxi lume makes reading better vs the Sub which has slightly deeper crystal to dial depth and smaller hands thickness and lume markers
    - new blue parachrom hairspring (accord to Rolex website info) is tougher, anti-magnetic and not as susceptible to temp change i.e. greater accuracy and reliablity.

Cons
    - bezel 24 hour markings does look a bit busy vs the Sub.
    - no quickset date, so setting date slightly clumsier. if it is just moving one day forward, no big issue, but to set several days forward, you will need several more turns of the hour hand (for those with several watches need to take note, unless you have a watch winder to keep it going)
    - lower water resistance at 100m vs 300m, although I dont think I will ever go beyong 20m depth in recreational diving.

In the future, I still intend to own a Sub, probably it will be the yet to be launch stainless steel Sub with maxi dial and ceramic bezel.

Pic of GMT IIc

Thanks for a interesting and informative post I believe this will help many looking to buy their first Rolex (including myself).
    fallraen
    "Grandpa were you a hero in the war?" "No,"he answered,"but I served in a company of heros."

Comment

no quickset date for GMT IIc?

Comment

Originally posted by Watchmenn19 View Post
        There is quickset date for GMT IIc but it works differently, the hour hand works independently, so just need to advance the hour hand till the date changes....minute hand does not move.

Comment

GMTIIc

Originally posted by Watchmenn19 View Post
          Yup, you need one full turn of the hour hand to advance one day. So its not entirely quickset. So if it is your daily beater, date changing is not much of an issue.

Comment

i still no understand ? Can someone demonstrate?
            The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by jamier9 View Post
              There is quickset date for GMT IIc but it works differently, the hour hand works independently, so just need to advance the hour hand till the date changes....minute hand does not move.
              Then it should not be termed "quickset". Only a feature that allow u to change the date at each turn of the crown is deem a "quickset" function. In the case of the GMT IIc, one would need to advance the hour hand for a full 24 hours to adjust the date so that would hardly qualify as a "quick" date change process and hence not rightly termed as "quickset".
              HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
              REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

So for example, my GMT watch now remains stop at (24), at the date window, and today's date is (4). Now, I want to set the time and correct date means I must wind the crown many-many rounds for the date to set to (4)? Wah like that very "siong" le. Is it also like this for the Explorer II?? Or as a matter of fact, all GMT-function watches

Tx.
                The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Originally posted by aikon View Post
                  Yup, you need one full turn of the hour hand to advance one day. So its not entirely quickset. So if it is your daily beater, date changing is not much of an issue.
                  Noted. Thanks for the info.

Comment

got the below from
                    www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61994&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&sid=ab713 1de6eba690df03fd722378185fb

http://www.vikbobil.se/expset.gif

Comment

Originally posted by PambTawl73
                      I too bought a GMT that didnt have the correct manual. I used the little button on the side to advance the GMT counter to the correct time i thought but the next morning it appears to be way off - in fact if i set it to 1800 then the next day it will point to 5 - is almost like it either stops moving or something.

Is there something you are supposed to do other than poke the little button - like have the crown out or something else - or do i have a bum watch
                      What "little button" are you referring to that is on the side of the case?

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X