16610 vs 16800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16610 vs 16800

both of them look the same.. cant tell the difference?
    and if both the same price..which 1 will u pick?
    both does not come with papers n box and r asking aound 5k+
    isit expensive?

Originally posted by deadbench View Post
    isit expensive?
    Both ard the same price meh? I thought 16800 more rare wad,in a way there's investment value.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Both ard the same price meh? I thought 16800 more rare wad,in a way there's investment value.
      darkie, dun mind me but think there's little investment value. it simply retains value better so the owner decideds to flip after a decade, he may actually get to wear the watch for free as prices keep increasing at banana rates.
      Remnants of my irresponsibility:
      "Foreign affections"
      1) Sinn U1-30 June 2007
      2) Rolex Sea-Dweller 16600 M series-23 Jan 08 (HER perpetual oyster )
      3) Omega Seamaster Chrono Diver 2225.80.00-25 Jul 08 (From Wife )
      4) IWC Top Gun Chrono-20 Sep 09
      What's NEXT?

Comment

so a 16800 and 16610..which is a better deal if both are even priced?
        both without box and paper also....

anyway how to differentiate a 16800 from a 16610? i cant tell the difference..

Comment

so a 16800 and 16610..which is a better deal if both are even priced?
          both without box and paper also....

anyway how to differentiate a 16800 from a 16610? i cant tell the difference..
          The bezel is different 16800 is using a Matt dial...16610 is using a plastic?(not sure)dial

I would prefer the 16800 though. Personal preference la

But the 16610 is abit expensive la

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Early series[about low 8 million] 16800 are called transitionals.....wif matte dials without the WG rings on the hour markers.Later series 16800 fitted with gloss WG dials.They look exactly like the 16610.So.....if u wanna get a 16800....it has to be wif a matte dial.

Matte dial 16800

16610 are the current models.

Comment

Also, all 16800 and models of 16610 produced up to about 2001 have tritium markers which are unlikely to still be bright at night. After about 2001 (2003?) they used superluminova which will still shine brightly.

The other 16800 variant you can find sometimes is the 168000 which uses the more corrosion resistant 904L steel in the case which is used in the 16610, unlike the 316L which is used in the 16800 and earlier models, and in watches by other brands incl. omega.

However, the 168000 was an experimental model and only made for 7-9months in 1988 so very hard to find.
              But if you can find, prices are still quite reasonable.

Comment

sorry..OT abit.. any difference between 16610 'A' series and 'L' series?

Comment

L-series is 1989/90. A-series is 1998-2000.

Both have pinholes in the case lugs.

L-series definitely pre-solid end links bracelet. A-series I am not sure ... but I think same.

I think both use tritium markers but again , I am not sure.

the changeover took place somewhere between 2001/2003 ... some of the better informed guys can advise.

The pre-SEL bracelet models generally command about $400 less right-off. The other changes are academic really.

Also, the L-series is probably a very early 16610... may be a better keeper. The tritium markers are probably starting to yellow too giving it that aged cream patina look.

Comment

Very chim! guess thats what makes rolex so interesting.
                    As for me, dun really care man. within my budget wack liao...

Comment

isit expensive?
                      sorry..OT abit.. any difference between 16610 'A' series and 'L' series?
                      hi,

juz thought that I would share.

I think the SubDate ref. no. 16800 was introduced in the late 1970s. The 16800 contained the caliber 3135 which has a sapphire crystal as well as the quick-set date feature (similar to the 16610s). However, the metal used on them were in the form of grade 316 stainless steel. The early 16800s have the matte dial with painted on markers like the one shown in problmchylde’s post. The changes in the 16800s’ dial only happened sometime in the mid 80s where Rolex incorporated the white gold surrounds to the 16800s’ tritium hour markers on glossy dials (similar to those found in early 16610s before year 1998).

The present day SubDate (16610s) only came about in 1989 and has the more corrosive resistant metal of grade 904 stainless steel. The early 16610s like the late 16800s are somewhat identical in dial appearance in that they comprised of white gold surrounds and tritium hour markers. The use of tritium was indicated as “SWISS - T < 25” at their 6 hour markers. The tritium was later replaced by luminova in 1998 and again upgraded to super luminova in 2000 where all hours markers in the present day 16610s contained (as well as the other present day Rolex sports models). These changes in the luminous material used are now reflected as “SWISS” (for year 1998 to 2000) or “SWISS MADE” (from year 2000 onwards) at the 6 hour markers.

So in short, the general difference in dial appearance between 16800s and 16610s are that the early 16800s’ dials are more distinctly closer in looks to its predecessor the 1680 (except for the Water Resistant writings of 200m and acrylic crystal). The later 16800s would be closer in looks to the early 16610s. As for difference between A and L series 16610s, I think the difference in the dial appearance would be the word “SWISS” at the 6 hour markers for A series (dated 1998 to 2000) versus “SWISS - T < 25” for L series (dated 1988 to 1990). As for 16610s’ bracelets, A series would come with Solid-End Links (SEL) but not the L series.

cheers
                      HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
                      REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

Wow.. nice details there Taurus.. thanks for sharing... learn more info on the SUB with your reply below.

Originally posted by Taurus75 View Post
                        hi,

juz thought that I would share.

I think the SubDate ref. no. 16800 was introduced in the late 1970s. The 16800 contained the caliber 3135 which has a sapphire crystal as well as the quick-set date feature (similar to the 16610s). However, the metal used on them were in the form of grade 316 stainless steel. The early 16800s have the matte dial with painted on markers like the one shown in problmchylde’s post. The changes in the 16800s’ dial only happened sometime in the mid 80s where Rolex incorporated the white gold surrounds to the 16800s’ tritium hour markers on glossy dials (similar to those found in early 16610s before year 1998).

The present day SubDate (16610s) only came about in 1989 and has the more corrosive resistant metal of grade 904 stainless steel. The early 16610s like the late 16800s are somewhat identical in dial appearance in that they comprised of white gold surrounds and tritium hour markers. The use of tritium was indicated as “SWISS - T < 25” at their 6 hour markers. The tritium was later replaced by luminova in 1998 and again upgraded to super luminova in 2000 where all hours markers in the present day 16610s contained (as well as the other present day Rolex sports models). These changes in the luminous material used are now reflected as “SWISS” (for year 1998 to 2000) or “SWISS MADE” (from year 2000 onwards) at the 6 hour markers.

So in short, the general difference in dial appearance between 16800s and 16610s are that the early 16800s’ dials are more distinctly closer in looks to its predecessor the 1680 (except for the Water Resistant writings of 200m and acrylic crystal). The later 16800s would be closer in looks to the early 16610s. As for difference between A and L series 16610s, I think the difference in the dial appearance would be the word “SWISS” at the 6 hour markers for A series (dated 1998 to 2000) versus “SWISS - T < 25” for L series (dated 1988 to 1990). As for 16610s’ bracelets, A series would come with Solid-End Links (SEL) but not the L series.

cheers

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
                        - GMT II
                        - GMT IIc TT
                        - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
                        - Master Eight Days (1608420)
                        - U1
                        - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

no problem, jazz samz, juz sharing the info. anyway, there was a mistake in my earlier post. 16800 contained the caliber 3035 movement while the 16610has the upgraded 3135 movement.

cheers
                          HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THOSE WHO
                          REALIZE THERE'S NEVER A RIGHT WAY.

ONLY A BETTER WAY.

Comment

Originally posted by Taurus75 View Post
                            no problem, jazz samz, juz sharing the info. anyway, there was a mistake in my earlier post. 16800 contained the caliber 3035 movement while the 16610has the upgraded 3135 movement.

cheers
                            Good info
                            1675/16610/116234/78240
                            Ball CM1092C-S1J-BR/NT BLUE MARKER
                            Hublot BB ASF
                            PAM 104J
                            Sinn 903 H2
                            Tutima Chrono Fx LE/RXW
                            U-boat classico AS-classico AB (53mm)
                            If you pick up a starving dog and nurse him well, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

Comment

Bump up this thread as I think it's a good read

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X