Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why pay extra for SS daytona when you can get a TT daytona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why pay extra for SS daytona when you can get a TT daytona?

i don't understand. i thought the scarcity is because SS daytona is a value buy for that model. but when people pay significantly above SS' msrp, it just doesn't make sense. why don't people just get the TT daytona?

i agree with u that there is no need to pay premium price 4 ss daytona where tt is going 4 more 'reasonable' price. not all ppl like tt, i 4 one is not a tt fan. The ss daytona has this 'cult' status, so there could be this preference. Moreover, the supply is so what 'limited' compared to other models like explorer, gmt II, sub. There r occassions where there is no stock 4 sub date also. There is so the 'feel' when u put on the ss daytona. I am abt to commit to a daytona purchase and i tried the ss, tt, wg. Only ss speaks to me.
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

personally, i dont really like the TT Daytona, but WG....YES, but that will be way too expensive....and it is nice to wear a SS Daytona knowing it is not so easily available ( at that time, now, it should be more readily available ).
      Just a matter of personal preference
      My Small Collection :
      GMT II 16710 Coke U series
      JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
      Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
      Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
      Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
      PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
      BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

the concept of scarcity is in a sense self perpetuating -- the scarcer something is, the more people want it. i don't buy the idea that more people prefer the ss to the tt. it is not that way for other rolex models, why should it be for the daytona? i think the ss' scarcity came from the fact that it's the entry model and therefore a good buy. but when people start paying a premium because it is scarce, you know they don't *just* like the watch. they like the warm and fuzzy notion that they have something that's not easily available... for now.

anyway, is it possible to pay msrp for the ss in sg?

Comment

Originally posted by tomasulu View Post
          the concept of scarcity is in a sense self perpetuating -- the scarcer something is, the more people want it. i don't buy the idea that more people prefer the ss to the tt. it is not that way for other rolex models, why should it be for the daytona? i think the ss' scarcity came from the fact that it's the entry model and therefore a good buy. but when people start paying a premium because it is scarce, you know they don't *just* like the watch. they like the warm and fuzzy notion that they have something that's not easily available... for now.

It may not be possible to pay msrp for ss right now in sg, esp a black one. It maybe never possible i guess. Have not seen that happened for quite a long time.
          Please correct me if my figures are incorrect.

Comment

it is possible to purchase one if it comes from overseas set. but chances are low, unless you are very good friend of a seller who is a very good customer of overseas AD. this is due to exchange rate and tax rebates.

but if u are asking about purchasing one from sg AD, then it is near impossible, but i think can, if your value of purchase watches say is like half a million or something in a year for few consecutive years.

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

kindly email with
            2. your nick

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
              it is possible to purchase one if it comes from overseas set. but chances are low, unless you are very good friend of a seller who is a very good customer of overseas AD. this is due to exchange rate and tax rebates.

but if u are asking about purchasing one from sg AD, then it is near impossible, but i think can, if your value of purchase watches say is like half a million or something in a year for few consecutive years.

there are reports that folks in US are getting the ss daytona at msrp. man, if i have half a million bucks to spend on watches, an ss daytona will not even be on my radar.

Comment

Why not?
                Many loyalities, celeb, billionaires also wear 116520... yes, they buy PP also but they buy them and keep....

there are reports that folks in US are getting the ss daytona at msrp. man, if i have half a million bucks to spend on watches, an ss daytona will not even be on my radar.

Comment

personally i also not a TT fren, but as to whether one would pay extra premium to buy a SS is subjective right, i mean if pple want it that badly, they will pay more for it. if there is a surge of demand for TT, prices will sky rocket as well.. just a matter of which side of the scale u tip
                  Don't trust anyone too much, even your own shadow leave you when you are in darkness.

Comment

Here are 2 examples from Sotheby's Auctions... Lot 64 is a TT daytona and Lot 122 is a SS. Which one can fetch a higher price in the resale market? TT sold within the est price, on the other hand SS sold at a premiun... So now you know why you need to pay more for SS?

LOT 64

- ROLEX
                    A GOLD AND STAINLESS STEEL AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH WITH BRACELET
                    CIRCA 1995 REF 16523 COSMOGRAPH DAYTONA FIRST GENERATION

8,000—12,000 CHF
                    Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 8,750 CHF

LOT 122

R - ROLEX
                    A STAINLESS STEEL AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH WRISTWATCH WITH REGISTERS AND BRACELET
                    OYSTER PERPETUAL, COMOGRAPH DAYTONA, CIRCA 1995, REF.16520

9,000—12,000 CHF
                    Lot Sold. Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium: 20,400 CHF

Comment

116520 all the way
                      My Small Collection :
                      GMT II 16710 Coke U series
                      JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
                      Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
                      Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
                      Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
                      PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
                      BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

Thank you! Thank you!

Comment

supporter of SS....

Originally posted by MsLucifer View Post
                          personally i also not a TT fren, but as to whether one would pay extra premium to buy a SS is subjective right, ....
                          the other brand/model is AP ROO Special edition like lava, scuba, JBB, orchard road.....the case is SS right? not too sure, but then all the same to me, why the premium price different?

another one is hublot BB, those using same material, yet premium price is different again.

im not sure if im right to say it is due to supply and demand.

kindly email with
                          2. your nick

Comment

That was the case with me a long long time ago...until one of the members here skewed my radar.

an ss daytona will not even be on my radar.

Comment

obviously ss retains its value better. like everything else, its price reflects the interplay of demand and supply market forces.

some like ss and some like tt, that's a given for every rolex model that comes in ss and tt. but one thing we know -- gold is more valuable than ss. i like the ss too but i just can't see myself paying more for something that is less valuable intrinsically.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X