Submariner with Date for Hubby Bday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submariner with Date for Hubby Bday

Hi, I'm new here. Need all your precious advice as I hv receive too many comments from friends..so confused...
    I am planning to get a Sub with date for my hubby birthday this month. Meant as a surprise for him as this is will his 1st Rolex to own. Please advise if this is a good/ ideal watch to own & is the price now ok to purchase (as some frens told me last yr Sub price is even higher but 1 told me Sub price will be dropping )??

I was told if I only wish to own one ROLEX watch, it'll hv to b the Subbie. IMHO yes, it is a good watch to own. Price wise, I'm not too sure how the wind is blowing. Price did drop a little in the past 2 years but rumour has it that the current ss model may be discontinued soon. It's rumour, I stress.

So, gd luck shopping.
    The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

My first piece of Rolex Sport.....and it is a SUB!!!!

Comment

Sub with date is my first Rolex. To me this is the one to go and you can never go wrong.

I believe the price is at its low, whether is it the lowest on one can tell, but it will never be a big drop from now.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by dwarfy View Post
          Hi, I'm new here. Need all your precious advice as I hv receive too many comments from friends..so confused...
          I am planning to get a Sub with date for my hubby birthday this month. Meant as a surprise for him as this is will his 1st Rolex to own. Please advise if this is a good/ ideal watch to own & is the price now ok to purchase (as some frens told me last yr Sub price is even higher but 1 told me Sub price will be dropping )??
          price dropping ? you mean the green sub LV

Comment

Rolex prices won't drop but rather AD may get more desperate to offer more discount. Previously at best a customer may get 5% discount but a regular slightly more. Now I am unsure their discount offerings but getting a Sub date as a first watch is a good choice. It was mine too.
            U may also like to consider a GMT oK ceramic but it's more costly. Good luck!!

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
            - GMT II
            - GMT IIc TT
            - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
            - Master Eight Days (1608420)
            - U1
            - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

Rolex prices won't drop but rather AD may get more desperate to offer more discount. Previously at best a customer may get 5% discount but a regular slightly more. Now I am unsure their discount offerings but getting a Sub date as a first watch is a good choice. It was mine too.
              U may also like to consider a GMT oK ceramic but it's more costly. Good luck!!

Desired horologes ...

- IWC Portuguese Automatic
              - GMT II
              - GMT IIc TT
              - Reverso Squadra Hometime (7008620)/ Reverso Squadra
              - Master Eight Days (1608420)
              - U1
              - IWC Aquatimer

An exquisite timepiece, brings timeless memories and precious moments...

Comment

HaH!!! Your Hubby also Taurus? I also Taurus how come my GF never buy me Rollie

My first Rolex is a sub LV hehehehe

IMHO maybe you can try get GMTllC it's nicer and its the latest from the GMT edition where as Sub hor it hear say it may discontinue next year.
                Every Rolex tells a story

Comment

before you embark on getting a rolex sub date for your hubby. it might be better you check out the garage section for some sub date on sale which are brand new. they might be cost you cheaper if you were to purchase from a local AD. this is because it depends on your bargaining power.

however, buying from parallel importer means it is likely that you have to meet them @ rolex service centre(RSC) to authenticate the watch, so that you have a peace of mind. the authentication fees should be 75.

standard minimum discount is 5% as per mention for local AD. the rest depends on your bargaining power.

also im not sure will you be getting the standard SS models or the TT models. so i would suggest you pop by any local AD to have a look.
                  if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                  1. subject heading indicating your issue
                  2. your nick
                  3. your corresponding email address
                  4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Correct! But GMTIIc cost a lot more leh...

Originally posted by NaesHaes View Post
                    HaH!!! Your Hubby also Taurus? I also Taurus how come my GF never buy me Rollie

My first Rolex is a sub LV hehehehe

IMHO maybe you can try get GMTllC it's nicer and its the latest from the GMT edition where as Sub hor it hear say it may discontinue next year.

Comment

actually if get preowned, must first be certain ur hubby is ok with it. some people don really like preowned watches.

if he doesnt mind, then getting preowned will be the best alternative as its def gg to be much cheaper.

BUT!!

since its your gift to him, chances are he wont sell it. Hence, even if you buy first hand from ADs, u also no need worry will make a lost in future since unlkely to sell

sub is def a very iconic watch for Rolex
                      I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch, I dont need another watch.........

Comment

thank u all for your prompt advice.. may sound stupid but wat is SS series & TT series?
                        I am thinking of getting a brand new one for him since it;s his 1st Rolex to own. As for GMT II, other than being pricier I also thot since he dun travel tt often, paying 1k more for tt extra 2nd time zone function is a bit wasted.. wat do u think?

Comment

thank u all for your prompt advice.. may sound stupid but wat is SS series & TT series?
                          I am thinking of getting a brand new one for him since it;s his 1st Rolex to own. As for GMT II, other than being pricier I also thot since he dun travel tt often, paying 1k more for tt extra 2nd time zone function is a bit wasted.. wat do u think?
                          SS = StainLess Steel
                          TT= Two Tone = Gold and Stainless Steel

SubDate
                          Normal and most available. May discontinue hear say 2010.

SubDate LV
                          The LV was designed to comemmorate "50 years of the Submariner". Maxi-dial and green insert (Rolex corporate color).

GMTllC
                          Latest version of GMT. Ceremic Bazel. Polished center links. Larger case.

Consider carefully. Sorry that I brought in the LV but it would be a waste not to mention it. It's different and special. Maybe if GMTllC is not in the list why not consider the LV. 1 look will know it's a rollie. It's definately between Subdate and GMTllC.
                          Every Rolex tells a story

Comment

my suggestion is that you pop by any local AD and have a look @ the 3 pieces and place on your wrists to see how it is. you may even ask any of the sales assistant whose wrist may be of similar size and color to try for you. why i suggest this is because the watch will look different on different color skin tone, different size of wrists.

apart from what you are asking about the sub and GMT difference are. just to name a few.

sub as the same suggest is considered a diver's watch. GMT is more for dual time zone. can even tell 3 time zones.

the 'smoothness' of rotating the bezel is different. the markers on the bezel is different from between sub and GMT

the bracelet is also different.

there are subtle differences.

one member has brought in the sub lv which is different from the normal sub. one difference is the dial, sub lv has what they termed maxi dial. the markers on the dial is different. the bezel on the lv is green rather than black. do note that sub lv is a commerative piece and is NOT LIMITED PRODUCTION. it was launch to commerate 50 years but has been in production at least for 4 years since 50 anniversary. also the green color is an acquired taste. some will like it @ first sight, others will take time to grow to love it.
                            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                            1. subject heading indicating your issue
                            2. your nick
                            3. your corresponding email address
                            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

i agree..just get him the sub since he doesn't travel (or travel much). even if he travels, is he comfy wearing this expensive watch overseas?

sub is a nice watch and you won't go wrong with it. i think the choice is limited to TT Sub, SS Sub and LV. TT Sub has blue and black dials by the way (the other sport models are black except Daytona and Explorer 2 have white dials).

All 3 are nice...but i wld go for LV or TT for their uniqueness...
                              I can resist anything but temptation. - Oscar Wilde

Current collection
                              A.Lange & Sohne Grand Langematik
                              Audemars Piguet ROO
                              Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (Dark Knight)
                              De Bethune Titan Hawk (DB27)
                              Habring2 Pilot Time Date
                              Harry Winston Midnight Big Date
                              Hublot Aerobang Skeleton
                              IWC Portuguese Perpetual Calendar
                              Panerai 270
                              Patek Philippe 5711/1a
                              Rolex 116610LV