Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolex bracelet discolouring

Dear all,

Has anyone experienced discolouration on their TT blue sub? Mine is under two years old and I noticed the gold parts discolouring. I'll be honest, don't wear my watched often and when I do, I am under the sun a fair bit so I do perspire.

What should I do? Send it in for polishing/ cleaning? Any help is greatly appreciated and have a great long weekend

Thank you!

18k gold "discolouring" ????

Comment

Unless the bracelet is gold-plated, it shouldn't 'discolor'. Genuine bracelets are not gold-plated.

Comment

Originally posted by dominique_kwok View Post
        Has anyone experienced discolouration on their TT blue sub? Mine is under two years old and I noticed the gold parts discolouring. I'll be honest, don't wear my watched often and when I do, I am under the sun a fair bit so I do perspire.

What should I do? Send it in for polishing/ cleaning? Any help is greatly appreciated and have a great long weekend
        normal. the less you touch it, the more it will "age" and this is easily stopped by wearing it.

toothpaste + old toothbrush + elbow grease = yellow gold revealed again.

there is no damage to the gold if you leave it alone. some people like the deep rich colours.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
          normal. the less you touch it, the more it will "age" and this is easily stopped by wearing it.

there is no damage to the gold if you leave it alone. some people like the deep rich colours.
          Thanks a lot Taxico for your advice instead of judging that my Rolex is fake. I actually googled discolouration of Rolex bracelets and found that it is actually a pretty common issue. Will definitely try out your method. I guess it takes a true watch connoisseur to know the hits and misses of each brand.

Comment

I had a discolouration on my old 16613ln end link where the gold was turning reddish.. but after a light polish brought it back to yellow gold... maybe the older rolex tt were made with more copper content with the 18k yellow gold...
            HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION
            ROLEX SUBMARINER 116613LBD 8 POINT DIAMOND DIAL "G" SERIAL
            Rolex Submariner TT 16613LN "s" series<<<[TRADED]
            Rolex Datejust 1601 "5 mil" series<<<[SOLD]
            Breitling Sirius Automatic 18K/SS B10071<<<[SOLD]
            TAG Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 Date CV2010
            G-Shock mudman g9300 ( daily beater )

HER'S
            Rolex ladies datejust
            vintage Cartier tank 18k
            TAG Heuer Formula 1 ceramic diamonds

Comment

Plse do not polish your 18k gold watch with any thing too harsh.
              A simple wash with clean water and rub down with rolex polishing cloth would make it shine nicely again.
              Gold does oxidise turning a bit darker.

I personally use cape cod on seledted parts of my gold watches and wash with water with a wipe down using soft good quality non abrasive tissue. Simple 5 min procedure that will bring back the shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                Plse do not polish your 18k gold watch with any thing too harsh.
                A simple wash with clean water and rub down with rolex polishing cloth would make it shine nicely again.
                Gold does oxidise turning a bit darker.

I personally use cape cod on seledted parts of my gold watches and wash with water with a wipe down using soft good quality non abrasive tissue. Simple 5 min procedure that will bring back the shine.
                That's why i bought the veraet watch cleaning kit as it comes with alot of dryying cloths and polishing cloths...
                HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                Rolex ladies datejust
                vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

I've got a TT Daytona bought in 2013 which is worn occasionally and had the light tarnish look on the bracelet, which is only noticed in full sunlight or if I looked at it at certain angles in certain light.

I used a bit of cape cod polish - actually more of the oily film and lightly dabbed it on the tarnished section and used the vareat polishing cloth and followed up with a vareat spray and through drying. Watermarks can cause tarnishing and make sure the watch is dried really well.

This brought it back to full yellow gold and mint looking condition.

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
                    I did not know this. Something new learnt!
                    Thanks for sharing.

Ender
                    "Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
                    three times is enemy action and
                    over 600 is clearly the work of an ancient Sumerian demon or some sh*t
                    ."

Comment

You might want to avoid old toothbrush on mirror polished gold surfaces as it will cause tiny scratch marks

Comment

Originally posted by Trinidad View Post
                        You might want to avoid old toothbrush on mirror polished gold surfaces as it will cause tiny scratch marks
                        Agree.. toothbrush can scratch... unless using very soft kids toothbrush is ok... or use the veraet brush...
                        HOME THEATERPHILE

MY HUMBLE COLLECTION

HER'S
                        Rolex ladies datejust
                        vintage Cartier tank 18k

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse