Preowned 40mm Explorer II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preowned 40mm Explorer II

Thinking of picking up my first Rolex, so i am a complete newbie, but i do like the white face explorer II, tried on a new 42mm version, felt it was a bit big for my puny wrist, and the price tag was also a little scary. Then i came across several used 40mm Explorer II for sale for around 4-5k and am thinking of starting off with that, to minimize damage in case i regret getting a rolex....and 40mm does seem to be a better fit for my wrist size...

Is this a wise move? or should I grit my teeth and go with a new 42mm white face explorer II?

a warm pre-welcome to you

you tried the 42mm... but think about the 40mm while still might consider the 42mm

my honest opinion is that you should get what you really want there... yes price is always the issue but if you get something that you like (slightly) less, you might end up flipping it and losing more in the long run, and eventually not enjoying the whole Rolex experience..

just curious, why the explorer series instead of subs/djs?

Comment

hmm why not subs? good question...i will try to answer...I travel pretty often for my work and the countries i go to usually have got different time zone; so a GMT watch will be good. Plus i've already got dive style watches, not in the same league as the submariner for sure, but similar in looks and function (skx 007, OM, seamaster etc) so can't justify the purchase of such an expensive dive watch to my wife haha and i really really like the white face on the explorer....

Comment

ah I see.. that explains...

So you have GMT Master II and Explorer II for the GMT function.... GMT is more dive-ish and that's why it is out I guess

In addition, you like white face (Hi 5! :P)

How big does the 42mm felt on your wrist since you tried it?

My wrist is 6.7... quite flat... and the 42mm felt very much at home on my wrist

How is yours?

42mm has quite a few improvements over the 40mm, but of course it is up to the individual to decide if it is worth the extra money...

Comment

Hi, i got the older white exp 2 too. Agree with u that 42mm is too big, for my wrist at least.

Be sure to get the M version and later, because those are using 3186 (u get new features like Blue parachrom, newer gear train design) and has rehaut too!

Goodluck finding!

Comment

my wrist is small enough that, a mid sized watch 36mm -> 38mm would look okay on my wrist. I prefer 40mm to 41mm, 42mm - 43mm looks big on my wrist, but i can carry it off as the explorer II 42mm isn't very thick so it wears smaller. So yeah still torn between getting a newer improved 42mm or old 40mm, i guess my wife would want me to buy the 40mm since used ones are a lot cheaper compared to the 9000 plus for a new 42mm from an AD.

Comment

well i guess it's really down to your preference now...

iphone 3 or iphone 5?

both gets the job done, but are priced very differently due to features and all..

good luck in your hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by Tawfiq
                can look for me if u r looking for a white dial exp2 40mm local set full box as my friend is gonna offload it =)

Happy hunting
                haha thanks, replied your PM Tawfiq.

Comment

In terms of cosmetic outlook, the 40mm and 42 mm looks quite similar unlike the difference between ceramic sub and non-ceramic sub. The GMT function works similar as well. the 40 mm at almost 50% of the price of the 42 mm is a really good buy.
                  Of course, depends which looks the best on your wrist.

Originally posted by Balzebub View Post
                  my wrist is small enough that, a mid sized watch 36mm -> 38mm would look okay on my wrist. I prefer 40mm to 41mm, 42mm - 43mm looks big on my wrist, but i can carry it off as the explorer II 42mm isn't very thick so it wears smaller. So yeah still torn between getting a newer improved 42mm or old 40mm, i guess my wife would want me to buy the 40mm since used ones are a lot cheaper compared to the 9000 plus for a new 42mm from an AD.

Comment

Originally posted by grafite1976 View Post
                    In terms of cosmetic outlook, the 40mm and 42 mm looks quite similar unlike the difference between ceramic sub and non-ceramic sub. The GMT function works similar as well. the 40 mm at almost 50% of the price of the 42 mm is a really good buy.
                    Of course, depends which looks the best on your wrist.
                    Yup decided on the 40mm, so now hunting for a good used one....

Comment

good luck in your hunt!

Comment

Bro Balzebub, good choice for getting the 40mm as this had been discon. In fact it does not wear small. You can buy the 42mm in future if u really love it cos it is always available . Btw the new explorer price had dropped drastically since it was launched. Some of my friends had even pay premium price for it . Lastly, kudos for getting the polar as only explorer and Daytona had white dial .
                        My Current Collection :
                        Rolex Submariner 116610LN
                        Rolex Submariner 116610LV aka Hulk
                        Rolex Airking 14000
                        Panerai Submersible Special Edition 364
                        Panerai Luminor 112
                        Omega speed master moonwatch 3570.50
                        Tissot Visodate

Sold and regretted since then
                        Rolex Submariner 16610
                        Rolex GMT 116710LN
                        Rolex Explorer 16570 ( Polar)