Advise needed on Gold/WG rolex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise needed on Gold/WG rolex

Hi to all, i have always like SS rolex sports watches, but recently kind of attracted by the solid Gold/WG rolex watches... hmm maybe me really getting old liao

Need some advise from gurus/admirers of gold /WG watches including Bro Darkangel:

1) with the price of gold shooting through the roof and if (and provided really) it continues its uptrend towards 2000 USD/ounce, is it worth buying solid gold/WG rolex watches to admire as well as keeping it's value?

2) what is the max gold content that is in the solid gold/WG rolex watches (meaning how much gold is used to make the watch)?

3) which solid gold rolex model do you think is worth keeping?

Thank you for your advise in advance..

Regards

Originally posted by eric View Post
    Hi to all, i have always like SS rolex sports watches, but recently kind of attracted by the solid Gold/WG rolex watches... hmm maybe me really getting old liao

Need some advise from gurus/admirers of gold /WG watches including Bro Darkangel:

1) with the price of gold shooting through the roof and if (and provided really) it continues its uptrend towards 2000 USD/ounce, is it worth buying solid gold/WG rolex watches to admire as well as keeping it's value?

2) what is the max gold content that is in the solid gold/WG rolex watches (meaning how much gold is used to make the watch)?

3) which solid gold rolex model do you think is worth keeping?

Thank you for your advise in advance..

Regards
    Rolex Gold models generally don't follow gold pricings, for preowned that is. When you buy a solid gold Rolex watch, you are buying at a heavy premium over it's scrap/metal value.

Don't buy a Gold Rolex because the price is shooting up, because for 1 very practical reason. If you sell it as a Rolex it's still worth more than selling it as it's scrap value.

I can't rmb the exact weight but it's about 100+g, I will leave it to Mr Daydate to answer you on the exact weight.

Any worth keeping...well if you can find a good condition sports vintage gold models, at least 1 series before the current ones. Buy and keep.

Simple reasoning here...

Solid gold models are the least sold usually when brand new, and back then most people who could afford a gold watch would get a Daydate.

That makes the supply of them in the market much lesser than the Daydates + they are sports models.

10 years later, let's say when the demands surges the number of the gold ones in the market will spring up faster than the oh-so-common SS models.

Just my 2 little cents.

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Hi Eric , DA,

A 18038 full set weighs approx 130 grams (plus minus depending on number of links)
      if you remove the movement, the 18k gold content should be around 105grams.

using the gold calculator online for today, rate for 18K at 105 grams is worth SGD5400.(1 gram 18K=$51.43)
      so for e.g if you pay $10K for a day date, you are actually paying only $4600 for the rolex brand name and movement!
      in my opinion ,very worth it!

105 Grams (g) 18 Karat
      75% 2.531871 5400.59 [ SGD ] 5400.59 [ SGD ]
      My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
      1) WG DIA 18239
      2) YG DIA 18238
      3) WG 18239
      4) YG 18238
      5) YG 18248G Bark
      6) WG DIA 18039
      7) WG 18039
      8) YG 18038
      9) Tridor DIA 18039B
      10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
      11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
      12) WG 1803
      13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
      1)GMT II 116718 18K
      2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
      1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
      2)D15037 14k
      3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

Hi Ian Limm and Darkangel, thank you so much for the in-depth sharing. Will start my hunt for a good piece.

The sight of gold/WG rolex watches are growing on me

Comment

Originally posted by eric View Post
          Hi Ian Limm and Darkangel, thank you so much for the in-depth sharing. Will start my hunt for a good piece.

The sight of gold/WG rolex watches are growing on me
          Good luck in your search.
          Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Limm View Post
            Hi Eric , DA,

A 18038 full set weighs approx 130 grams (plus minus depending on number of links)
            if you remove the movement, the 18k gold content should be around 105grams.

using the gold calculator online for today, rate for 18K at 105 grams is worth SGD5400.(1 gram 18K=$51.43)
            so for e.g if you pay $10K for a day date, you are actually paying only $4600 for the rolex brand name and movement!
            in my opinion ,very worth it!

105 Grams (g) 18 Karat
            75% 2.531871 5400.59 [ SGD ] 5400.59 [ SGD ]

With the current gold price, I think you will pay lesser for the movement and then brand. Maybe its time to snap up some gold watches now.
            Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Actually out of curiosity, is there a price difference btw a pre-owned 18238 (YG) and 18239 (WG) DD?

Lets just say both are from the same series, both w/o any boxes and papers and condition is the same.
              My Tumblr
              -------------------
              http://beads-of-rice.tumblr.com/

Comment

I know there is a difference in price for 18238 and 18239 but can't specifically tell what is the actual variance. The price difference could be more than S$2k based on my personal experience but they are both of different series. Hence, it is just merely a reference point though.

Getting a gold watch soon?
                Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                Working...
                X