Date runs two days ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date runs two days ahead

A good day to you all. Its my first post and a privilege to be in this company.

I've got a small problem with my old lady's Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date... we bought it pre-owned from a chain here in Singapore. Everything is usually fine but there are occasions where the date switches two days in advance rather than once. For instance, from 4 to 5, it goes from 4 to 6. It happens on and off.

Have brought it back to the shop. The technician ran the hour hand two rounds each time to watch the date switch from 1 to 2 all the way to 31. There were no anomalies when done this way. I can see the chap's point of view that there is no apparent problem in the watch. But at the back of my head, was wondering that by manually adjusting the hour hand, will I bypass the normal operation of the second-minute-hour hand? Of course this will then bypasses the problem and wouldn't show up in the technician's test.

We still encounter this problem from time to time. So, here I am stuck with this it.

I suppose I can simulate the situation by adjusting the time to about 23:58 or thereabouts, wait for the switchover to happen and recording it on video at the same time to prove my point but its troublesome and time consuming.

Humbly seeking advice from you guys here. Anything is much appreciated. Thanks.

I understand the feeling when you have a prob with a watch, i highlighted to them rsc, date jump 24hrs 3 mins late, when i look at the receipt, complete check was done, i monitor my watch i wind 5 mins before 24hrs manually wind date jump, but i let it run by itself i monitor on eve of cny it did jump on the dot of 24hrs. Which is what i currently wearing 16610.

The first i own was a vintage 1601 dress watch, i manually wind sometime before 24hrs it will will jump 10mins earlier.

I know how it feel to have a prob with such a expensive possession. If i were you like when i face the prob with 1601, they check and told me something was done, lasted for few months same thing came back, i sell back to them. Now their shop no longer there.

Comment

I guess you are more particular than me. If the watch was jumping 10 minutes before the 12 midnight, it wouldn't have bothered me much because I would usually be sleeping through it. Hope you didn't lose much selling it back.

I suppose from the point of view of the technicians, they are not exactly aware of where the problem lies because of the inconsistencies of it happening. Since it isn't possible for me to demonstrate the same problem again, they simply can't pinpoint where the fault lies. Guess the old lady will just have to live with it...

Comment

Sorry to know that.

When was the last service? Perhaps the heart of the watch needs some oil to make its movement smooth.

Comment

Have you consider sending it to RSC for a check-up?
          It may cost some $$, but it will hopefully give you a good night sleep after that.
          My Small Collection :
          GMT II 16710 Coke U series
          JLC Master Control ( May 2008 )
          Daytona SS White ( Jan 2009 )
          Porsche Design P6310 Red ( Feb 2009 )
          Azimuth Back In Time ( Wrist lounge special edition ) ( Jan 2010 )
          PAM 312 ( Feb 2010 ) ( Send me an offer for this baby if you are interested)

Look Look See See for :
          BNIB 1995 ( W series ) Rolex sport model

Comment

They even given me wrong end piece, i have to ask for it. i lost 20 percent of the price i paid. I believe people who own rollies never compromise. Have it check as soon as possible.

Comment

Does the date have to jump on the dot at 0000hrs? None of mine rolex does...usually within 10-20min or so...normal or should I get them checked out?

Comment

Originally posted by Chunster69 View Post
                Does the date have to jump on the dot at 0000hrs? None of mine rolex does...usually within 10-20min or so...normal or should I get them checked out?
                If you are not particular about it...leave it till the next service.

Normally, 5 minutes +- is acceptable...
                [FONT="Verdana"][B]The Best Dive Is Always The Next One[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the prompt response bro!

Comment

Originally posted by wjunkie View Post
                    Sorry to know that.

When was the last service? Perhaps the heart of the watch needs some oil to make its movement smooth.
                    You could be onto something here. Usually, I would see the date change-over as a flip, an almost instantaneous event. But there are times when the date indicated is in-between, perhaps held back by friction. Was initially not sure if its a plausible explanation but you have raised a valid point.

Originally posted by rh1667 View Post
                    Have you consider sending it to RSC for a check-up?
                    It may cost some $$, but it will hopefully give you a good night sleep after that.
                    Yea, will probably do so soon if my next round to the shop doesn't resolve this matter (Actually, it wouldn't bother me but its eating my wife day in day out). According to the shop (does forum etiquette allow disclosure of shop names?), it was recently serviced and the warranty is valid for two years.

Originally posted by Chunster69 View Post
                    Mine jumps on the dot if you adjust the minute hand manually. Does yours? On its own, it's a different story...sometimes like slow motion.

Comment

I think treadstarted got to sort out his problem at early stage, if you are unsatisfied with the watch get it done quick, very difficult to work and sleep, when you keep thinking about it. One ex reputable watch technician once told me just sell it to the place where i bought if i don't like it. Which i heed his advice.

Comment

Mine jumps on the dot if you adjust the minute hand manually. Does yours? On its own, it's a different story...sometimes like slow motion.[/QUOTE]

Mine jump on the dot when manually wind too...but not on its own...

Comment

Bought a Day Date from one of the bros here. Send in the piece for full servicing after transaction at RSC. Collected on 03/03/2010. Found immediately that the date jump 2 days ahead 2 minutes after midnight. Luckily can send the piece back to RSC to be checked as under 2 year warranty as a result of the overhaul. 2 questions remained

- substandard servicing at RSC?
                          - next time if buy preown, better check all the functions of the watch during inspection.

Comment

That is why i don't go for older series now. Rather buy something got warranty. If not pocket big hole.

Comment

Have your watch checked out by JW. Mine faced a similar problem, then John identified worn date gear.
                              Try him but be prepared to wait >12 weeks.
                              Holding
                              Azimuth - Jadgbomber
                              Hermes - Clipper
                              Orient - Diver 200m
                              Perrelet* - Dual Time
                              Pierre Balmain* - Gold Plaque 10 Microns Quartz
                              Raymond Weil* - Don Giovanni Chronograph
                              Rolex - 1603 HG (Yr 1943)
                              Rolex* - 1603 HG - Golden Computer Dial (Yr 1967)
                              Rolex* - 16018 Yellow Gold
                              Sarcar* - Mistral Rose Gold
                              Seiko* - Atlas 200m
                              Seiko - Diver 200m
                              Tissot* - Heritage 150 Anniversary
                              Titoni* - Airmaster
                              * = Sale
                              Wife: even my bags don't cost as much!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile