Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something wrong with the replaced acrylic on my vintage Rolex 1500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something wrong with the replaced acrylic on my vintage Rolex 1500?

Hey all,

I was wondering if the crystal sitting inside the bezel inside between the 10 to 11 o'clock position is normal? The acrylic was recently replaced. Looks like there is a gap on the sides of the crystal. I can see abit of fray on the edge of the crystal on the inside of the watch.

Originally posted by airboy85 View Post
    Hey all,

I was wondering if the crystal sitting inside the bezel inside between the 10 to 11 o'clock position is normal? The acrylic was recently replaced. Looks like there is a gap on the sides of the crystal. I can see abit of fray on the edge of the crystal on the inside of the watch.

Oh dear, where did you replaced the acrylic ?

Comment

Hey all,

Looks like a scratch or something...hmmm...

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Its actually a gaping hole. Will head down tomorrow to ask the watchmaster why such thing could have happened. Quite disappointed I must say.

Also, I was wondering, is waterproof test a standard thing done everytime after an overhaul is done?

Comment

Yup I would said is a bad job done

Comment

...Also, I was wondering, is waterproof test a standard thing done everytime after an overhaul is done?
            outside shops? no.

RSC? yes, unless vintage and/or specifically instruct them to not test WR. (will include disclaimer for not warranted for WR)
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Solved the problem today. Had the acrylic changed.

So I can assume that most of the time these vintages do not go through pressure/waterproof test? In this case, will the movement rust or deteriorate over time with moisture seeping in?

Comment

So I can assume that most of the time these vintages do not go through pressure/waterproof test? In this case, will the movement rust or deteriorate over time with moisture seeping in?
                depends on your case condition and whether or not it is sealed properly. an oyster case is supposed to protect the insides (dial, movement, hands, etc) from the environment. this includes "moisture" from our humid environment. (so if it was cased up in a damp shop, the insides of the case will trap some humidity)

i recently sent an old datejust for servicing - i had a look at the case after disassembly, and once more before it was closed (no pressure test, it was cased up in front of me and i paid and took it home) so i know that there is no reason why the case is not water proof.

it had no pittings, gaskets were all new, etc. when i brought it home, i just washed it under a running tap with soap and toothbrush. no problems. in any case, even if it were not water tight, it would not be a case of a lot of water trapped inside the case, but condensation built up soon after (very minimal) water ingress - limited by physics.

i won't bring it scuba diving, of course. if you want to be sure, send it for a pressure test that is available at certain shops, such as chuan. i think it's... $20? RSC singapore does not perform a re-seal service, nor will they pressure test a non-warranted watch. so if you want them to pressure test it outside of warranty, you'll have to pay for a full service.

some watch shops do a basic condensation test (either with or without movement although i prefer the latter, which is not often practised in singapore). i do not like a fully assembled, serviced and cased up watch heated up, so i prefer not to do it that way.

obviously if i observed that my watch had major pittings (especially near/on the gasket seat/lip), i would not be washing it under a tap even after a full service.
                “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Great info there. That is the kind of insight I was looking for! Will head to chuan watch this weekend then!

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X