No announcement yet.

Is this dial original?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not into vintage, but interesting to see the tritium dots positioned in a haphazard manner
    can someone explain

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle
      I believe that it could be becos the tritium dots were hand applied
      A perfectly placed dot would sit clearly showing 3 lines on the left and 3 lines on the right leaving a faint fourth line on both sides of the dot . It wasnt something which was of utmost importance as the difference is just probably 0.001mm...
      This effect could be "worsened" due to a relume and thisdial does look relumed.

I am certainly not a vintage Rolex expert as all but i have owned and seen quite a few older tritium dials on daydates and datejusts.
      i realise that the tritium dot is almost never 100% precise and perfect.
      For this dial, it simply shows up more prominently due to the small tiny sweep second markers

I guess that makes up part of the intrigue in owning a Vintage rolex!

For anyone who owns a 70s datejust or daydate reading this, go and scrutinise the tritium dot on your watch, the likelihood is that a few dots would be "out of place" by a very very small margin.
      Talking about this tritium dot, I've got 2 1803 having the same defect. (Both verified original by RSC)

Comment

Originally posted by Throttle
        Actually cleaning cloths like this may not necessarily be fake, could be very old ones.

In fact, i would not say even say that this cloth is fake until i see the whole piece.
        I had an old cleaning cloth with green Rolexprint and green border piping made of a somewhat similar material
        I have the same cloth too but texture and print quality is different. But then again, it could be due to washing of the cloth and I don't think it make much commercial sense to produce fake Rolex cloth. You could be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexlow View Post
          I have the same cloth too but texture and print quality is different. But then again, it could be due to washing of the cloth and I don't think it make much commercial sense to produce fake Rolex cloth. You could be right.
          Wow, that's serious business getting the cloth involved in the discussion.

Comment

The underside of the dial

Comment

Originally posted by smartyjones18 View Post
              Wow, that's serious business getting the cloth involved in the discussion.
              That's part of the fun of watch collecting especially vintages. It's a never ending learning journey.

Comment

Think the pricing is imaterial now as this dial is already in my drawer, can't do anything even Kenna chopped. Better learn to appreciate it.

Comment

is that rolex towel ? original ?

Comment

how to tell man. The person copying to make a fake dial will try it look almost 100% alike to an original one.
                    Like fake Mercury and real Mercury iphone cases.
                    Can't differentiate on photo.

Comment

looks original. dial is original but could be refinished. even if refinished, it is a very very good job.

scoc slightly lower than normal. T swiss T generally shd be more aligned with the sub min markers but I have seen other variations too.
                      Daytona 116519 Meteorite, 16528 MK3 dia
                      Reb Sub 1680 MK2 x 2, mk4, MK6 BP ,116613LB Dia, 16610LV MK1
                      GMT 1675 Pepsi MK1, GILT BP,GMT 16753 Nipple Mocha x2 bp
                      GMT II 16760 Coke FAT Lady, 16758 nipple
                      DD 6611B x 2, 1803 RG, wide boy
                      DD 18038 Dia, 18039, 18308 dia
                      , 18238 malachite
                      DJ 6520, 6605, 6581, 1601/1603 x 6, 16220/30/34 cream
                      AP 15300 Black
                      Tudor 7016 small rose gilt dial
                      GP 18k RG
                      IWC Port 3714 Chrono
                      Chronoswiss Skeleton
                      Corum Bubble Lucifer