dry box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry box

hi,need some advise whether is it a good idea to store watches in the dry box with silicon gel when hardly wear. THANKS for reading

did you read some where that it might be useful or someone advise you that it is advisable to put inside a dry box/cabinet.

Originally posted by roythc View Post
    hi,need some advise whether is it a good idea to store watches in the dry box with silicon gel when hardly wear. THANKS for reading
    if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
    1. subject heading indicating your issue
    2. your nick
    3. your corresponding email address
    4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I put my watch boxes into dry boxes. Not those for optics. But I buy those big toyogo boxes with Tupperware lids. I use thirsty hippo as the drying agent. Works well. Boxes > than 7 years old still smell new

Watches are mainly kept in a secure drawer but with no dehumidifier. Doubt it's good for the movement. Only periodically clean the watches with non scented baby wipes and chamois cloth.

Every 6 months, I will use tarrago leather cleaner and a leather conditioner to nourish the leather straps.

Comment

Originally posted by roythc View Post
        hi,need some advise whether is it a good idea to store watches in the dry box with silicon gel when hardly wear...
        only if your watch is not water proof. otherwise it's a waste of money and space. a dry box doesn't need additional silica gel packs unless it is broken.

"silicon gel" will stink up the contents of the box. i don't recommend it.
        “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

I just purchase those ntuc dehumidifier for drawers and change them when it is used.
          Though if you wear them regularly i think it is not so much a problem.
          I know of someone whom did not wear their rolex pieces for years, kepth them in the safe. when they sent for servicing, mould was discovered inside.

Comment

mould growing on the watch (eg, inside the links or inbetween the watch case and bracelet areas) is due to not cleaning the watch after regular use. a soak in cleaning bleach solution + a quick scrub with a toothbrush and all will be well.

mould doesn't grow inside the watch on the movement because there is nothing for them to feed on UNLESS the watch is not water proof and perspiration has entered the watch.

in that case, mould growth is secondary to oxidation.

if your watch is water proof and clean, you have nothing to worry about.
            “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
              mould growing on the watch (eg, inside the links or inbetween the watch case and bracelet areas) is due to not cleaning the watch after regular use. a soak in cleaning bleach solution + a quick scrub with a toothbrush and all will be well.

mould doesn't grow inside the watch on the movement because there is nothing for them to feed on UNLESS the watch is not water proof and perspiration has entered the watch.

in that case, mould growth is secondary to oxidation.

if your watch is water proof and clean, you have nothing to worry about.

Agree with Bro taxico.
              Some basics to ensure moist or air does not get into the movement :-
              (1)the crown is screwed down completely
              (2)the back case is closed tight
              (3)the rubber ring inside the backcase is present and not torn.
              (4)no damage to the bezel (especial the vintage 50s to 70s DD or DJ)
              My 18K Gold Day Date "President" Collection:
              1) WG DIA 18239
              2) YG DIA 18238
              3) WG 18239
              4) YG 18238
              5) YG 18248G Bark
              6) WG DIA 18039
              7) WG 18039
              8) YG 18038
              9) Tridor DIA 18039B
              10) YG DIA 18078 Bark
              11) RG 1803 (Mint V.Rare)
              12) WG 1803
              13) YG 1803

50th Anniversary Collection:
              1)GMT II 116718 18K
              2)Sub 16610LV Mk1 x 4pcs ( 3F + 1 Y!)

Others
              1)Daytona RG 116505 18K
              2)D15037 14k
              3)DJ16238 18K

Comment

really? I've a number of silica gel packs in my watch box

Originally posted by taxico View Post

"silicon gel" will stink up the contents of the box. i don't recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by blueysmurfy View Post
                  really? I've a number of silica gel packs in my watch box
                  silica gel is not silicon gel.

Comment

i always doubt silicon gel did a good job, after a long while some gel will become powder-ish, like it could spoil the air inside the container

i have my own electric dry cab keeping my camera, and so all my watch are sleep soundly inside

Comment

learned something new. thanks all.

just use regular Marc & Mitch watch case
                      TAG Heuer Formula 1 Grande Date 42 WAU1110.FT6024
                      Omega Speedmaster Professional 42 MM 3573.50
                      Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Ultra Thin 2788520
                      Casio A168WA-1YES
                      Hublot Chelsea Classic Fusion 521.NX.7119.LR.CFC16
                      NOMOS Glashütte Tangente 139
                      Patek Philippe Aquanaut 5167A-001

Comment

Originally posted by Dar Teo View Post
                        I know of someone whom did not wear their rolex pieces for years, kepth them in the safe. when they sent for servicing, mould was discovered inside.
                        I have heard of such incidents too. This is definitely true...

Comment

Originally posted by Dar Teo View Post
                          To add on, watches kept in the safe should be taken out regularly to "air" them to prevent the mould thingy from happening... Oh, and don't forget to wind them too at the same time!

Comment

Hearsay doesn't equal truth .

Originally posted by shou.biao.kuang View Post
                            I have heard of such incidents too. This is definitely true...

Comment

i keep watch boxes in a huge dry box to prevent flaking
                              some famous brands like omega, bell and ross, breitling, sinn (just to name a few) make the worst boxes which are prone to flaking in our humid climate
                              ...for the clown to die :appluse:

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X