Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Steps You Take When Buying Pre-owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Steps You Take When Buying Pre-owned?

Good day all. When buying pre-owned Rolex watches, other than

a: Box,
    b: Price,
    c: Have it RSC certified,
    d: Rolex cert and warranty(+series and year),
    e: The overall condition of the strap and watch,

what other things do I need to scan the watch for? When you experts buy a pre-owned, what are some of the things/details you look out for?

Also, are there any blacklisted individuals/sellers I should watch out for in SGROC?

As always, thank you all in advance.

Bring a loupe and inspect the dial.

Make sure bracelet links are complete e.g. 13 links for sports.

Don't let ur guard down even if buying from shop or seasoned dealers. U have no one to blame if due diligence is not done thoroughly.

For first time owners I suggest buy new from AD for piece of mind.
    elusive

Comment

Originally posted by satch View Post
      For first time owners I suggest buy new from AD for piece of mind.
      What about buying BNIB from seasoned dealers or private shops? Should I bring down to RSC to verify? What if RSC scratches the watch? Who is responsible then? Seller or buyer?

Comment

Bring down to RSC is your request and seller's permission to authenticate.

If the watch is real and scratch in the process, buyer's responsibility.

Originally posted by cnconline View Post
        What about buying BNIB from seasoned dealers or private shops? Should I bring down to RSC to verify? What if RSC scratches the watch? Who is responsible then? Seller or buyer?
        if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
        1. subject heading indicating your issue
        2. your nick
        3. your corresponding email address
        4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Normally once u send to rsc, u will be obliged to close the deal once watch is authenticated as genuine. Some sellers may require deposit or full payment, depending. Personally I buy direct from ADs so I don't send to RSC. It's really your call.

But if u have too many concerns on your mind and worry about watch being scratched at RSC, I will suggest spending a bit more to just buy at local AD. The piece of mind u get is probably worth the extra money spent.
          elusive

Comment

Apart from a reputable shop, conditions, complete set etc. Check, check and check...

Comment

actually nothing much other then from a-e... i will bring it to RSC at the end of the day for a peace of mind...

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                If the watch is real and scratch in the process, buyer's responsibility.
                Does this happen often? I mean, RSC performs verification then watch got scratched?

On another note. is there anyone in SGROC who provides 'buddy'/'advisory' service when you go down to meet seller? Like for example, a service whereby the person accompany you to meet seller, then gives you his advice on whether price and watch is alright or not, worth it or not etc.. etc...

I understand that everyone's views on whether worth it or not is different, but it'll be nice if there is someone offering this type of service. Maybe pay 100 bucks but at least get a 2nd opinion during viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
                  Apart from a reputable shop, conditions, complete set etc. Check, check and check...
                  See, there in lies a big problem. What if, like the newbie I am, I don't know what to check for? Got expert willing to follow me down for viewing? Or can I offer 'kopi' money for an expert to accompany me to go view the watch?

Comment

On another note. is there anyone in SGROC who provides 'buddy'/'advisory' service when you go down to meet seller? Like for example, a service whereby the person accompany you to meet seller, then gives you his advice on whether price and watch is alright or not, worth it or not etc.. etc...

I understand that everyone's views on whether worth it or not is different, but it'll be nice if there is someone offering this type of service. Maybe pay 100 bucks but at least get a 2nd opinion during viewing.
                    Are you sure you would trust some "expert" you meet for the first time and pay 100 bucks for such a service? Or would you post another thread "What steps you take when engaging an advisor?"...
                    Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

as much as buyers would expect RSC to perform due diligence when performing tasks, accidents may happen. in an event where such instances occur, who is worse off? buyer is worse off.

i dont think anyone (exclude professional watch technician by trade) will be willing to accompany you. if i accompany you and tell you it is real and you buy then later go to another place found the watch contain non genuine parts. are you going to come after me? i can tell you that during the process, it was real. after that i dont know. as to other advice, i tell you buy because the price is alright but later you found another seller selling cheaper. then how? i tell you not worth, then another member tell you worth. then how? u buy or not?

for a $100 bucks to get second opinion? sure, i dont mind. why? because it cost me less than 2s to tell you worth or not. 100 for 2 second service means 3000 per min service, 180000 per hour. i think it is extremely good money to earn.

Does this happen often? I mean, RSC performs verification then watch got scratched?

if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
                      1. subject heading indicating your issue
                      2. your nick
                      3. your corresponding email address
                      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

I know I may sound like a broken record to be repeating this. But if there's so much worries on watch being scratched at rsc or whether box and papers genuine (another forumer), then why not just get from local AD for a little more.

Nothing beats doing ur own due diligence like doing online research on resale prices, scouting pre owned shops to get a feel of the resale market and try on different models, visiting AD and boutiques to find out current prices and discounts, talking to watch repairers to get more info etc.

Not everyone has the time to do that. But if one is buying pre owned with a lot of fears in the head, I guess that's the due diligence that's required. It's all part of the fun and learning experience in this watch collection hobby, isnt it?
                        elusive

Comment

I know I may sound like a broken record to be repeating this. But if there's so much worries on watch being scratched at rsc or whether box and papers genuine (another forumer), then why not just get from local AD for a little more.

Nothing beats doing ur own due diligence like doing online research on resale prices, scouting pre owned shops to get a feel of the resale market and try on different models, visiting AD and boutiques to find out current prices and discounts, talking to watch repairers to get more info etc.

Not everyone has the time to do that. But if one is buying pre owned with a lot of fears in the head, I guess that's the due diligence that's required. It's all part of the fun and learning experience in this watch collection hobby, isnt it?
                          Can't agree more!

Even buying brand new overseas has its risks. Go to airport too late or queue too long hence no time to claim tax refund. What if watch got stolen when kept in hotel room? Or sway sway kena checked by customs officer when arrive in SG and end up paying GST. There are so much one could worry about.
                          Watches are like potato chips - You never stop at one

Never political, seldom diplomatic, always honest

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                            if i accompany you and tell you it is real and you buy then later go to another place found the watch contain non genuine parts. are you going to come after me? i can tell you that during the process, it was real. after that i dont know. as to other advice, i tell you buy because the price is alright but later you found another seller selling cheaper. then how? i tell you not worth, then another member tell you worth. then how? u buy or not?
                            Like I said, everyone's opinion is different. For example, if I offer you a service fee to have a look at the watch, just to tell me whether worth it or not based on its condition, then if you say worth it, I will have an option to buy or not during the viewing. Whether or not its genuine I will take down to RSC to check, if I do buy it that is. And as long as you deemed at viewing time the watch is worth it, I don't think I will care if another sells the same watch cheaper.

And if there is any mistakes made, it'll only be on my part as I chose to take your advice. That's why it's only an advisory service. Sorta like a lawyer. You can give opinions, but choices-wise I am the one who makes it. No one else to blame.

Comment

I honestly understand where you are coming from. And I totally agree. But hor, the more I read, the less I know. The more I talk to people, the more confused I get. The more I research, well, the research ends up needing more research. LOL.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X