Which Rolex To Buy Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Rolex To Buy Part II

Hi all! After my last post in the forum asking for opinions/suggestions, I decided to go try on some of the Rollies to see which one fits me best.(No, I did not buy. Yes, I very 'buay pai seh'. Please read footnote.)

I have come down to 7 final choices, some exceeding my $10K budget.

Here are the choices:

1. Submariner Date 116610LN (steel+black dial)
    2. Submariner Date 16613LN. (steel+yellow gold+black dial)
    3. Submariner Date 116613LB (steel+yellow gold+blue dial)
    4. GMT Master II 116713LN (steel+yellow gold+black dial)
    5. GMT Master II 116710LN (steel+black dial)
    6. Explorer II 216570 (steel+black dial)

7. Submariner 16610LV (steel+green bezel) This one I never get to try cuz discontinued..but still very nice!

Personally, I'm leaning more towards 2,3,4 and 7 (steel+yellow gold, except for #7) but my friends says too 'ah peh' + 'ah long' look. But I think I have a fetish for TT. HOW? HOW? My dear community of Rolex experts, can advise me again on my 1st Rolex?

Let me say thank you in advance. Thank you!

P.S. Something interesting on the side: Tell you hor, so horrible leh. I go into THG (not gonna say which branch) and wanted to try on watches. The salesgirl dun even bother looking at me. (maybe 'cuz I was wearing T-shirt and jeans) Another salesman pretended not to see me! There was only TWO other customers! I was so pissed. My friend joined me a few minutes later (he was looking for a parking place in TAKASHIMAYA) and suddenly they flocked to us. Maybe because my friend was wearing the Patek Phillipe World Time watch. I told my friend or maybe I got the 'poor-man look'. But I got to try my watches. Best part was when I say I'm not gonna buy. ^^

Comment

It's abt impression. If i wear soviet et titus/ g shock to see rolex, Is like driving cherry QQ to see Rolls Royce.
      Normally the SA will take a look at what watch u are wearing unless u are a regular.

Nothing wrong with 2 tone. Buy what you like and not what your friends like
      For the record, I feel 116713 follow by 116613LB is the nicest.

Comment

TT is good and it's usually has more discounts. But in terms of resale, some say it's poor due to poor demands. In any case, choose the one you like. Pointless to get something that you don't like.

Comment

my vote goes to the ss sub date C
          never quite got used to the tt look

Comment

choices too many. also dont know how to advise.

3 different types of watches - one type displays one time zone. one type displays 2 time zone. third type can tell user 3 time zone.

what do you need the watch to do for you primarily?

just strike off those that is beyond budget. buy within means.

then your choices is less. easier to make a decision.

ultimately, you are the one with money paying for the watch.

i tell you buy explorer II but you prefer sub date then how? u buy a watch that someone tell you to?

Originally posted by cnconline View Post

Here are the choices:
            7. Submariner 16610LV (steel+green bezel) This one I never get to try cuz discontinued..but still very nice!
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Originally posted by breitling77 View Post
              TT is good and it's usually has more discounts. But in terms of resale, some say it's poor due to poor demands. In any case, choose the one you like. Pointless to get something that you don't like.
              !!! TT resale value low?!? Hmmm, ok. Another minus for TT.

Comment

Originally posted by triton View Post
                i tell you buy explorer II but you prefer sub date then how? u buy a watch that someone tell you to?
                No lah bro, but just want to get a few of the Rolex community's opinions mah...after all it's gonna be my 1st. The 1st of everything usually quite stressful (for me that is) i.e. 1st car, 1st time getting laid etc. etc...

Also, I'm a weird person. I may spent weeks looking at a particular model, but on the buying day itself I may end up buying something else altogether.

Speaking of which, is it wise to buy a discontinued model? Like #7? 'Cuz when buying things usually people dun buy the discontinued models, but this does not seem to apply to Rolex. Many people still buying from the garage...

Primarily, I just need a nice looking Rolex for everyday wear; and something to pass down to my kids in future.

Budget-wise does not really matter. I did set a budget of $10K, but am comfortable to go beyond that. (less x'mas presents for the kids!!)

And thank you all for your opinions!

Comment

Hmmm...I agree. But if you think about it from another point of view, someone driving cherry QQ to Rolls showroom may have struck it rich and is looking to upgrade to a better car.

I did not wear my watch (just an old Omega) to THG. Not because I'm shameful of it, but cuz since I was gonna try on watches it's gonna be bothersome taking on and off. If I was the salesman, I would think: "Look, a watch-less person. Chances of him looking to buy a watch might be higher."

Comment

as a newbie to rolex, my advise is tat the very first time when u look at a specific model, u can feel it tat this is the one!
                    anyone feel the same as me?

another round when was buying seiko, the agent told me as above also.

researching online and going down to wear and try is diff loh. Try go down a few more times loh

Comment

Any one is a good choice.. but be forewarned that the temptation will be to great to resist to buy the next one, and the next one. These watches are so well built, any one can be worn everyday, and if you need to keep track of a second time zone, then the GMT Master or Explorer II 42mm White dial would be a strong starting point. Congrats to your good taste!

Comment

If you want a watch for everyday use plus value retention. I would go for number 7. Why??

1) It is not too “loud” for everyday use as compared with the current 116610LV or those half gold model but yet the design is still unquie.
                        2) This model is meant for submariner 50th anniversary, and it's in production for +/- 6yrs only as compare with other model, furthermore it has already been discontinue.

But having to say all this, you might have some difficulty looking for a new old stock since it has been discon for a year plus.

Cheers
                        Current:
                        No More Liao...

Comment

Originally posted by oasis View Post
                          as a newbie to rolex, my advise is tat the very first time when u look at a specific model, u can feel it tat this is the one!
                          anyone feel the same as me?

another round when was buying seiko, the agent told me as above also.

researching online and going down to wear and try is diff loh. Try go down a few more times loh
                          Problem is, when I look at each one individually, I feel that it's the 'one'! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by kenn18 View Post
                            Any one is a good choice.. but be forewarned that the temptation will be to great to resist to buy the next one, and the next one. These watches are so well built, any one can be worn everyday, and if you need to keep track of a second time zone, then the GMT Master or Explorer II 42mm White dial would be a strong starting point. Congrats to your good taste!
                            Then you must have the same good taste as me!

Comment

Originally posted by newbie09 View Post

But having to say all this, you might have some difficulty looking for a new old stock since it has been discon for a year plus.

Cheers
                              Yeah, that's a big minus as this is my 1st Rolex and would like to own a brand new. Thanks for your idea!

Comment

Originally posted by cnconline View Post
                                Hi all! After my last post in the forum asking for opinions/suggestions, I decided to go try on some of the Rollies to see which one fits me best.(No, I did not buy. Yes, I very 'buay pai seh'. Please read footnote.)

Here are the choices:

Personally, I'm leaning more towards 2,3,4 and 7 (steel+yellow gold, except for #7) but my friends says too 'ah peh' + 'ah long' look. But I think I have a fetish for TT. HOW? HOW? My dear community of Rolex experts, can advise me again on my 1st Rolex?
                                get all 7.... start at 1 and end at 7.... do it before you retire.
                                ROLEX.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X