No announcement yet.

buying rolex without certs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here I also wldnt buy without cert.

Comment

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am really new to this **** and I was wondering that the authentication cert is issued by rolex or the shop that individuals get it from?

Comment

Originally posted by Kljm View Post
        Sorry to hijack this thread but I am really new to this **** and I was wondering that the authentication cert is issued by rolex or the shop that individuals get it from?
        Yes, the card comes together with the watch and is issued by Rolex. The shop fills in the buyer's name and dates it for warranty purposes. The card is not an authentication cert.
        If you are referring to the receipt issued by RSC for $107, it is a receipt and not a cert. It does not state that your watch has been authenticated and is certified to be genuine.

Comment

So am I right to say that the card that is issued by the shop does not proof that the rolex is authentic? Thanks

Comment

So am I right to say that the card that is issued by the shop does not proof that the rolex is authentic? Thanks
            The short answer to your question is the card does not serve as a proof of authenticity.

The card you receive from an AD is essentially a warranty card whereby the Seller fills in your name and dates the warranty card when you make a purchase although in certain instances people do get away with naming and dating the warranty card (not in Japan though). The warranty card is important as it can serve as a reference guide as the details of the model and serial number of the watch purchased is embossed on it. One would usually compare the serial number engraved on the rehaut with that embossed on the said card. If the serial number differs - tough luck.

That said, buyers from this forum usually would insist on dealing at RSC even though the watch is brand new and is complete will all paraphernalia. Why? It is because although the exterior of the watch looks spankingly new and authentic, the watch movement, say a calibre 3135 may be replaced with an ETA or Unitas movement which fits into the casing without any modification whatsoever. So, by sending the watch for authentication, one can at least get the peace of mind that the watch and the movement is authentic.

I really wonder what will happen if the watch movement is replaced with an older or repaired version because technically the watch is still a genuine watch consisting of original parts albeit 2nd hand parts. And one really wonders whether a Rolex technician would be able to pick that up.

Comment

Nothing wrong. Just affects the selling price accordingly. The papers may just be worth another $200 more.

Comment

Originally posted by shauntsk View Post
                Nothing wrong. Just affects the selling price accordingly. The papers may just be worth another $200 more.
                Sorry bro, this I gotta disagree tat the papers only worth $200 more...

For example a pre-owned dealer currently selling a SS Daytona G-series(complete set) at $13500, but selling at the same time a AN-series(without cert) SS Daytona at $12800...

I see it there is at least $1000-$1200 difference in the above example...

As for no cert, for myself, maybe only me, I will beat die(in hokkien) never buy a without cert watch as chances tat the watch has been thru 2nd uncle grandpa shop... Im super "pang dang" about this... Its just me, so dun flame me...

Lets talk abit more details on cert as per topic, even with cert, a overseas AD n local AD cert at times make some difference too, but maybe not much...

Just MHO...

Comment

Yeah, it doesnt prove it's authenticity, the movement and parts can be swapped....

As for premium paid for cert, its for people who want to have a nice complete set, they willing to pay, the seller is willing to charge.
                  Honesty.....

Comment

I guess its pretty much more accurate to say the prices differ by a certain %. Recently I have been looking at the Explorer and the diff within these prices range from as low as just $100, comparing apple to apple. Some were $2-300 thou. Guess the cert will probably cost more in significant for higher end series. Given the scenerio here, on average maybe $200 diff for an Explorer? As long the watch is in a better condition, with/out doesnt matter to me here.
                    If you are able to buy in much cheaper now, doesnt lose out much if you sell it away cheap too.
                    I faced a more challenging consideration then, I managed to find 2 pieces almost same price, 1 with b/p 03', the other with rehaut engraving 08', without b/p. Whats your choise here???

Comment

For me personally, I'd take the newer watch, and have it authenticated before handing over the money.
                      Warranty period is over, the card is just nice to have nia.

Just my personal view...
                      Honesty.....

Comment

Originally posted by conservative View Post
                        For me personally, I'd take the newer watch, and have it authenticated before handing over the money.
                        Warranty period is over, the card is just nice to have nia.

Just my personal view...
                        Thanks for sharing your view bro.

Comment

Since it's 08 vs 03, if you are going to service it.
                          Taking the unit with B&P makes more sense to me.
                          After servicing its plus 2 years warranty and you have 2 sets of papers and box.

Unless you are only going to authenticate it.
                          Rolexes are supposed to be lasting so its up to individual comfort zone.

Another thing to note is the conditions of the watch.
                          If the 08 is a daily watch compared to 03 a special occasion watch makes a great difference as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jhquek View Post
                            Since it's 08 vs 03, if you are going to service it.
                            Taking the unit with B&P makes more sense to me.
                            After servicing its plus 2 years warranty and you have 2 sets of papers and box.

Unless you are only going to authenticate it.
                            Rolexes are supposed to be lasting so its up to individual comfort zone.

Another thing to note is the conditions of the watch.
                            If the 08 is a daily watch compared to 03 a special occasion watch makes a great difference as well.
                            Thanks for your reply bro. Given the trust for this brand, I guess I wun be servicing the watch since its just a 5yr and 10yr old watch. Im buying from shop thus both comes with shop warranty. Good point on the daily/occasion wearing. I have seen both and physical conditions are about the same too, blame it on my capability limitation to check any better. So its a 03' with B/P vs 08' rehaut without B/P. Its a challenging choise.

Comment

Yes get it authenticated is ur best n safest bet!

Comment

my watch only got reciepe from the owner

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X