rolex in singapore (historical)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rolex in singapore (historical)

i was doing some research in the library and felt bored and decided to read up on other things...

this is a transcript from the singapore oral history centre, between special project (SP) and Jeremy CG Ramsey (JR), the first head of rolex singapore. i believe it was a 2005 interview.

the beginnings of rolex and some other interesting horology-related observations are outlined herein... enjoy!

--- irrelevant lines removed from transcript ---

SP

...you as a businessman is best known for your role with the Rolex Company in Singapore. Now that came about much later. I understand from what you said before that you‟ve been sort of tangentially involved with it in the Borneo Company. What was the background to the relationship between Rolex and Singapore and the Borneo Company?

JR

Well, you know the Swiss are quite careful and at that time things were very different to what they are now. They thought, “Where is Singapore? Do we really want to get involved in a place so far away?” So they had appointed an agent and the Borneo Company was very reliable, British run with a head office in London. So they thought, “Well, that‟s not risky. We can deal with those people.” And that went on for a long time and they were quite happy with that situation. Also at the beginning, Rolex was such a scarce commodity. Every week we got an air freight shipment. And how many pieces we got, it was not a question of selling them; it was a question of distributing them to our appointed retailers.

We only had a few customers and Rolex insisted that we should choose the best people. We didn‟t sell to anybody, we decided who was going to sell Rolex watches and actually Rolex believed that their customers would all eventually become very rich. They didn‟t want to have lots of customers making a little bit of money. They wanted to have a few customers making a lot of money.

SP

So they had a very focused approach to how they were going to sell and how they were going to market their products?

JR

Yes, it was. And so we had a few dealers and then we had small shipments which we distributed to them. And gradually, of course, we were always grumbling about our supplies but they gradually got bigger and bigger and bigger. Until I think in the ‟70s it really started to take off in a big way, the production increased and then we started to have very big sales.

SP

So in the ‟50s and ‟60s then, again comparing Singapore today, which is one of the biggest watch markets; it may be the biggest in Asia but certainly one of the biggest in the world. What kind of watches were people wearing and buying in the early days then?

JR

But don‟t forget the watch market, I mean a great percentage of it is in cheap watches. The man in the street buys or at that time, he bought something which cost quite a small amount of money – 20 or 30 dollars or something.

SP

And these would have been mainly Japanese products were they in those days?

JR

Not really. They were mostly Swiss but the Japanese started to take off in the ‟70s. when Seiko had this amazing performance. They really took the market. They took the market by storm because Switzerland had lots of manufacturers and every manufacturer had his own favourite little market or one or two markets. It might have been in Lebanon or it might have been in Paris or whatever. And they never bothered about the rest of the world.

But Seiko, when they started they said, “Right, what shall we do now? Let‟s take Singapore.” It was just Seiko and one or two lesser Japanese watches. But Seiko big advertising, everything in a big way; they completely knocked out all the cheap watches in one shot. And then they went to the next market. They did that all the way round the world.

SP

And how did that impact on you then as a dealer, as somebody trying to sell?

JR

Oh, it didn‟t impact at all on Rolex because the price of the watch was so very much higher.

SP

So Seiko wasn‟t seen as a high status watch?

JR

It was a sort of middle range. We were the top end and then there would be cheap ones, Timex and that sort of thing. But they did an extraordinary job and everybody was amazed by the way Seiko slaughtered the competition.

SP

So you became involved with the Rolex. How did you end up then taking over and becoming …because you were the Regional Director or Managing Director for Southeast Asia?

JR

Well, what happened was that at the beginning, when I first came in 1956, they had a Swiss man that had been employed by Rolex and sent to Singapore to work in the Borneo Company. The Borneo Company paid his salary but he was selected by them. And his job was to sell Rolex. Well, after four years in Singapore, he decided he wanted to go back to Switzerland. And they asked him, “Who would you want to take over from you?” So he said, “I would like Ramsey to do the job.” So they said, “Oh, no you can‟t have Ramsey. He‟s got other things to do.”

So they got another Swiss who took over for a couple of years until he sort of fell out with the company and in the end he got fired.
    And they then asked me to take over. That was in 1965. Actually my first job in Kuala Lumpur where I went in 1961, ‟62 I was in charge of Rolex there. So I was familiar with the line and sold it there. And then I went to Penang, I also had Rolex so I knew all the Malaysian dealers. And I came back to Singapore in 1964. 1965 I took over Rolex completely. But it was then a division of the Borneo Company; they made it into a separate division. But Rolex were not too happy with that arrangement, they wanted to have their own image, their own company.

So eventually they put pressure on Borneo Company to set up a company which would become Rolex Singapore. Although at the very beginning all the shares were held by the Borneo Company but later, gradually as the years went on, they took a transfer of the shares until eventually they owned the whole company and that‟s how it happened.

SP

So basically you were sort of pulled out of Borneo Company when it became Rolex?

JR

Oh, yes. Because I was in charge of it when it was part of Borneo Company and gradually the company moved into Rolex‟s hands. So I never changed my job, I stayed where I was.

SP

So once you moved out of Borneo Company and that was a company that was well established. It had its own internal workings; it had its staff and so on. How did you go about literally running Rolex as a separate company? What were the challenges that you faced? Challenges, problems – how did you solve them?

JR

Well, I think, I always had a great belief in Rolex because it was such a wonderfully luxurious product. And there was such an admiration for it everywhere. Everybody admired it. At the very beginning it wasn‟t as powerful as it later became but it was very much admired and respected as being the sort of top mark really. Although of course Rolex has a certain characteristic about it. It‟s not a watch …some people want something very slim and thin and lightweight.

Rolex is not like that. Rolex is big and strong and powerful and solidly made, especially suitable for this climate which is very demanding on a watch. People don‟t realise, they perspire and perspiration eats into the metal on the watch and eventually they have problems. They go rusty and the watch stops working.

Rolex is designed to withstand all that sort of thing. So I had a wonderful product. And Rolex‟s policy of having only a few dealers made life very much easier for us. We had a product which all our clients were making money out of and they were very happy about it. And we had a great relationship with them and it was wonderful.

SP

You were there for many years and the company did get bigger. Can you say something about how the watch market in Singapore did expand because obviously in the early days you only had a few …?

JR

Well, I think in the ‟70s there was the great leap forward in expansion and sales.

SP

And why was that? Was that a direct competition with Seiko or …?

JR Well, I think the whole market expanded suddenly. Singapore started to take off because before that it was still the aftermath of the Second World War and it hadn‟t really got going, you know. It was still …And in the „70s, it really started to move and we saw the whole growth of the market expand.

SP

And did you have to start bringing in more watches to supply that demand or did you deliberately keep it exclusive?

JR

Well, we were trying to get more watches all the time but it was not really until the early ‟70s that they started to really expand the market. They knew we were very short. The whole world was short of supplies of Rolex. And they increased their production and it was wonderful. Instead of receiving a shipment of 60 pieces, we would receive maybe 500 pieces or even a thousand.

SP

And they would sell quite quickly?

JR

Absolutely, yes. But we didn‟t, I mean, we used to take whatever they sent us. We never grumbled because they never liked it if we said, “Look …” They would take them back but it was dangerous to annoy them by saying, “Would you take them back?” So we used to stock them. I mean of course if the situation got seriously high where we have many millions, then I would say to them, “Look, can we slow down deliveries?”

SP

Did you ever have that? Where you had so many you just couldn‟t …

JR

We had, I think, a bit of a problem when we had the first oil crisis.

SP

That would have been in the mid-‟70s.

JR

‟74 probably. Yes, when we had the first oil crisis there was a bit of a problem. We had a lot of watches and there was a slowdown. Well, it lasted a year or two and then it was okay again.

(continued in the next post)
    Last edited by taxico; 23-09-12, 10:23 AM.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

SP

That was with the Rolex but if we can just look at this overall… we will come back and talk about some of the projects within Rolex. But what do you or somebody inside the watch business, how do you perceive and how do you account for the …Today you walk into any shopping mall and there are half a dozen watch shops selling watches anything from 20 dollars up to 120,000 dollars and beyond. What‟s happened there? How has Singapore gone from one extreme – from the very cheap watches right up to what we see today?

JR

Well, it‟s actually not changed really. They always had these very expensive watches but you see I think you have to realise that you can have a brand which the average price is say 1,000 dollars. If you want to make the same model and put diamonds all round the bezel and cover the whole of the dial in diamonds, you could probably say the price becomes 40,000 dollars.

So it‟s a question of jewellery really. I must say that Rolex never bothered too much about fashion. And they never cared although they sell very expensive watches but they don‟t get too excited about the jewellery side of it. We have them. Very often these very wealthy people will say, “What is the most expensive watch you have?” Rolex would say something like, “Look, just tell us what you want and we will make it for you. We will make a watch with …You like emeralds, you could have emeralds all round the bezel, you could have a Pave dial with diamonds and you could have a bracelet like this one or that one. We can make a watch for 300,000 Singapore dollars”.

So they do have these very expensive items and we used to sell quite a lot of them. But of course the movement of the watches is the same and it‟s the same watch, it is jewellery really. It‟s just adding jewels to them.

SP

Add in the surface. So when you look at the competition, because when you started out there was Rolex, you mentioned Omega was around too. What were they like to compete with?

JR

I would say that Omega was quite strong in the ‟50s, then when …

SP

Who dealt with Omega? Were they an independent company or …?

JR

It was a Sri Lankan - B P De Silva. The owner of it was a Sri Lankan. And they did quite well but they suffered during the …When Seiko commenced its expansion, lots of Swiss companies went down the drain, they couldn‟t compete. And the big companies like Omega were asked to help out. They took over these companies and tried to incorporate their own production into the Omega factory.

And for a time they had a lot of problems with that. They had a much too big production because they were literally taking over companies and putting the Omega production line into these factories. And they were not doing a very good job and they had a lot of quality problems and so on. So they lost ground in those years. It probably took them 15 years before they recovered from that. Now, I think they are probably doing much better.

But I think they still have some difficulty. They are neither one thing nor another; they don‟t have the sort of quality image that Rolex has. But I think they are doing better, I think they are.

SP

And what other companies were around at that time; the names that we‟d recognise today?

JR

If you take these names like Patek Philippe which is a highly respected company making very high quality watches. Many people say, “Oh, they are better than Rolex,” and so on. But of course I think it is pointless to compare because Rolex makes a very solid watch which it sells at a very high price and it sells in great quantities. The Patek Philippe – their production is tiny in comparison. So although they make beautiful watches and they sell for high prices, they hardly sell anything.

SP

But you could say they are more exclusive in that respect.

JR

Yes, in a way you could say, you could say they have a certain cache because they are very, very respected.

SP

They were around even in the ‟50s?

JR

They‟ve always been around. Yes.

SP

Today there‟s a lot more that have come on the market and the other thing that I think you might have some insights into is, if you look at the kinds of watches. I am amazed when I researched and written watch stories, people show you watches, you wonder what on earth is going on. What is going on? Why aren‟t people just saying, “Here‟s a really good Rolex watch. It‟s going to last me a lifetime, worn for sports and so on.”

JR

Well, a lot of people do say that. We used to find… in Singapore you have these cycles which usually end up in a bust. Well, when it‟s the boom cycle, then the very wealthy people, they have already probably got four or five Rolex. So somebody says, “Try it. What about this, you haven‟t seen this one.” And they show them something very exotic with lots of jewellery on it and so on and so forth. And they say, “How much is it?” “50,000 dollars”. “Okay, I will try it.”

Well, then suddenly the market collapses and the people who stock those unknown brands, they are in a panic state. They don‟t know what to do with the stock and how to get rid of it. They have got a few million tied up in those things. But of course if they have a Rolex, they don‟t care because they know they can always sell it eventually.

SP

And they recognise that, some business people.

JR

They know that. Yah.

SP

What was the business culture like in Singapore during the ‟70s and ‟80s when you were with Rolex? Because you were travelling a lot, what was your role and how was Rolex operating in the region?

JR

We were always asked by Rolex to maintain a very strong relationship with our watch dealers and to visit them regularly. And to listen to their complaints or whatever; when they used to have problems, they would be the first people to tell you. You have a new model or something and there‟s some small error with it or problem with it. If you go around and you talk to them, they will tell you straightaway about these things. You have to report them and you get the answer to it - the solution.

I think one of the very important things we did was the service. We had a wonderful service. And it used to be such that some customers, difficult customers would say, “I want my watch sent back to Switzerland.” So alright, we‟d say, “Right, we will send it back to Switzerland.” It goes back to Switzerland. Instead of taking three weeks to service. I don‟t know how long it takes now but in those days it might take three weeks in Singapore, [it] probably took three months in Switzerland. And instead of costing say 100 dollars in Singapore or 50 dollars or whatever it costs, it would probably cost 300 dollars in Switzerland.

So that tended to cure them but it was the first… that was the top one. We were the second one then of course, to some extent there were certain parts which do need to be replaced once in a while. Like the winding crowns were always troublesome, they used to …

So we used to sometimes to supply our watch dealers, only our own appointed dealers that we trusted, we would supply them a few of these winding crowns. So they would have a watch maker who could on the spot put a new one in. And then we used to see… we used to have those watch makers from our dealers work in our workshop so we can see their standard and correct any faults that they had. And we used to send our own staff to Switzerland for a few weeks training, to bring them up to date or if there was a new model or new movement coming.

So service was very, very high on our list of priorities. We maintained that, we spent a lot of our time not to make money but to back up our sales.

SP

What else do you recall of those years with Rolex? I mean it was a good time and most people remember you as Mr Rolex, I think.

JR

Well, I mean you couldn‟t have a better chance than I had. It was an absolutely wonderful job. And not only was it rather well-paid but also they had such a …You know everything was surrounded with luxury and I remember when we bought the building, I had a…

(continued in the next post)
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

SP

Yes, I was going to ask about that because it was Rolex House. You didn‟t actually build it, it was a building you took over?

JR

What happened was that the Chairman of Rolex, he was a great man. He used to come to Singapore and he said to me, “I am not very happy about the fact that we do not have our own building.” So he said, “I want you to go and buy a building. Now, I will tell you what you got to do. I am going to give you all the authority to do this. I will write you a letter when I get back, authorising you to go and buy that for Rolex. I want to be on the ground floor, it‟s got to be enough for all of our staff.”

SP

How many staff did you have at that time?

JR

Over a hundred. And he said, “See what you can do.” So after he had gone back I walked up and down Orchard Road, I decided it must be at Orchard Road. And I started to examine all the possibilities. And eventually the one that really attracted me had one big disadvantage. There were two companies occupying the ground floor; one of them was Patek Philippe and the other was Gucci, you see (laughter).

So I started to talk to the owners of the building and I said, “Look, if Rolex is here, it would really make the value of your building go sky high.”

SP

But you said you were going to buy the building outright? You were actually going to take …

JR

I mean to buy the building outright would have been impossible at that time because it had 20 floors or something. So although he said buy your own building, I realised it wasn‟t possible. But I talked to them and I said, “I would like to buy the ground floor and the first floor.” They didn‟t have at that time… the building wasn‟t divided into strata title. That was another problem. But anyhow the negotiations went backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards. Of course, they asked sky high prices and there was bargaining. And we bargained and we talked and met again and again and again. Until eventually they said, “Alright, you could have the first two floors.” So we signed on the dotted line and we bought it.”

SP

And how did you get the competition out?

JR

Well, they were on a lease so I went to see them and I said, “Look, I have to tell you we have bought this property that you are occupying. But you still have time on your lease. If you want to give it up immediately we will agree to that or if you want to wait for another 18 months when the lease expires, that‟s fine.” So that‟s what we did. One of them, Patek wanted to go out straightaway. I don‟t know why they did that. They were irritated, I don‟t know. Anyhow, they gave up straightaway and then Gucci wanted to stay on. And then we had a bit of problem with them in the end. But they had 18 months or so.

So eventually the place became ours and we bought the two floors and there are actually three or four floors.

SP

And it became renamed; it became known as Rolex House – that‟s how I remember it. Still is, in fact.

JR

No, I don‟t think he did it. Still called Tong Building. But we were offered that, we were offered the opportunity of calling it Rolex House. But they wanted us to pay for that. I think they wanted 50,000 dollars. Well, I put it to Geneva, I said, “If you want it, you can have it - 50,000.” But they said, “No, we don‟t want it.”

SP

But in fact it doesn‟t make much difference because everybody knows it is the Rolex Building.

JR

Well, everybody calls it Rolex Building, anyway.

SP

Yah, because that‟s the first thing you see when you walk past.

JR

And actually they did well because we bought three floors eventually. And the third floor I got it, I was just sitting in my office at lunchtime actually and the owner of the building came in and said, “Do you still want to buy the third floor?” So I said, “Why not.” So he said, “Alright, four million.” So I said, “No, no two million.” So he says, “3 million.” So [I said,] “Two and a half million.” “Okay.” So we just settled it.

SP

So basically you have those three floors pretty much in perpetuity. Is that how it works?

JR

Well, we own actually, I think now four floors.

SP

Four floors, okay.

JR

Yes, we have. It‟s freehold.

SP

So even if the building is torn down, you will still own the next four floors of… because buildings are coming down everywhere.

JR

Oh, no it can‟t come down so long as we are there. It can only come down if …or during my time, it could only have come down if over 50 percent of the owners wanted to go en bloc. But actually we got other Rolex dealers like Hour Glass to move their offices in there as well. So they always voted with us because they don‟t want to upset us (laughs).

end of transcript

Comment

source: Collection of Oral History Recording Database, Oral History Centre, Singapore National Archives

http://cord.nhb.gov.sg/cord/

Comment

I must say very good read on a nice sunday morning! Thanks for sharing bro

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Yes, a good read, I love history! Thanks!
            I'm in bad company........

Comment

A good historical perspective of Rolex Singapore. Thanks.

Comment

V good read indeed...

on a side note: while queueing @M1 shop for my iphone today.. saw 1 of the RSC staff & she recognised me... think i pop by RSC too often liaoz..
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Current:
                BALL Fireman Ionsphere
                Rolex Daytona 116520 M series
                Rolex Sub C 116610LN AN series

Gone:
                BALL Trainmaster Pulsemeter Pro
                IWC GST Chronograph 3707
                Rolex Explorer II D series
                Rolex Sub 16610 M series

Next Target:
                Rolex Day-date 18239!! The president.. :D:D