Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low is Low Ball?

Hi all,

I have always been curious about "Low Ball", no kiddin!. It has always been interesting (and sometimes funny) to read the FS / WTS posts that say "Low Ballers stay away" or something like that. Some sellers even went to the extent to "suan" or "poke fun" at the low ball offers they receive during the sale post.

We are all buyers and sellers at some point in time.

As a seller, what do you make out to be a low ball offer?

As a buyer, how do you make an offer to make sure your don't get labeled as a lowballer?

Just a discussion for some fun and laughter in the forum

"because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

everyone has different definitions. just as everyone prices their goods differently.

i sold a brand new phone the other day at $50 off rrp, and i still had people wanting to lower my price further. did i care if people low ball. no. why? because i rather bank the money from the sale than trying to bank the apparent market value.

it all depends whether you want the cash in your pocket, or you want to hold.
    [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
    Blue 6694
    Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
    [U]"My collection"[/U]:
    [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

For me personally, lowballing would be going a fair bit lower than the best rate available ...even when you can see the rates from a few sellers. For example, I personally wouldn't ask for more than $200 below the best rate I can find.

Comment

Well, I irespond to low ballers but always stay polite as they may not know they had low balled as it is subjective

I respect that all buyers have budget, I also when I buy things.

I always try to countera slightly lower offer.

If i am the buyer, i will ask first if i can make an offer. Slashing the asking price by half or close to half is a sure low ball! to most pple

Comment

Ya its very subjective but i think if ask for 1k difference or more for rolex can be considered lowball. If less than 1k difference just treat it as negotiations.

On a side note, i was trying to sell lady gaga concert ticket worth $350 for $150 n 1 sms pops up telling me he/she offers $50 for it. I replied 'sorry my grandma will be going to the concert with the tix' lol

Comment

Low ball is when an item in good condition selling below half of retail price, yet people asking for further discount

Comment

Very subjective. It's a buyer vs seller perspective.

To me it's better to gauge using market value.

Eg
              Seller sell Pam 312 used for 8500

Market average price 7500.

Buyer offer 7000 is low.
              Buyer offer 6500 is low ball.

To seller 7500 is already low ball.

Generally if a buyer offers a price that is lower than second shop take in price,
              It should be low ball.
              Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

but whose second hand shop price should we use as guide?

shop A and B can give different prices even for the same item. even same shop with different sales assistant may offer slightly different.
                [U]Currently wearing[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]TT Datejust with diamond dial - sold!
                Blue 6694
                Seiko SD-lookalike[/SIZE]
                [U]"My collection"[/U]:
                [SIZE="1"]Blue 6694; TT DJ w diamond dial.[/SIZE]

Comment

Very good point, but seem to imply preown shops and pawn shops are generally low-ballers

Originally posted by Watcha View Post

Generally if a buyer offers a price that is lower than second shop take in price,
                  It should be low ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcha View Post
                    It should be low ball.

This is a very good gage. 2nd hand shop normally makan you low low cos they need to pay for rent, wages etc.

Actually it doesn't matter which 2nd hand shop as generally most will "halve you plus some more".

i share a real life encounter:

My dad receives a swiss watch some yrs ago. New unsized local set. The market is selling iirc $2900 after discount. I brought it to a famous preown shop and was offered $1200 (?!?!?). Faintz. In the end i think i sold it for $2700.

I think 2nd hand shops can low ball but as a private buyer, to low ball (too low) is very insulting sometimes to the seller.

Yes I agree for Rolex to whack more than $1k is low ball liao. i think +/- $500 is fair.

Comment

That's for sure. Those preown shops eat you hard hard. There was a time, I was thinking of trading my IWC & AP RO for an AP ROO. Imagine my 2 watches are only worth less than the price I bought my IWC alone. On top of that, I still need to top up to get the AP ROO. In the end, I kept my temptation and resisted selling and buying. Luckily, my current IWC already valued up as IWC increased the price... and my AP RO becomes discontinued and will worth more in future, I guess. Sometimes, must really not sell to preown shop.

IMO, low ball is those ridiculous price that is way below your selling price. IMO, a discounts of a few hundreds are still acceptable. But if discounts of thousands or more than 5% is considered low ball. Just like that shop which offered me, I would consider it lowball... and super lowball.

Originally posted by kohym View Post
                      This is a very good gage. 2nd hand shop normally makan you low low cos they need to pay for rent, wages etc.

Actually it doesn't matter which 2nd hand shop as generally most will "halve you plus some more".

i share a real life encounter:

My dad receives a swiss watch some yrs ago. New unsized local set. The market is selling iirc $2900 after discount. I brought it to a famous preown shop and was offered $1200 (?!?!?). Faintz. In the end i think i sold it for $2700.

I think 2nd hand shops can low ball but as a private buyer, to low ball (too low) is very insulting sometimes to the seller.

Yes I agree for Rolex to whack more than $1k is low ball liao. i think +/- $500 is fair.

Comment

I think this is low balling...

Anyone agrees?

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Anyone agrees?

I don't mind low balling like this. Really.
                          Audemars Piguet Ball Bell&Ross Cartier IWC Longines Omega Panerai Rolex Sinn Tissot

Alba Casio Citizen Roox Seiko

Wanted to add PP but bo lui

Comment

I once offered a seller in this forum 500 bucks lower than his asking price of 15k n he gave me a rude reply. 2 weeks later he PM me to ask me if I'm still interested in his watch at my offer price. I ignored him.

Moral of the story, don't burn your bridges. I didn't know offering 500 lower is 'low balling' him but even if so, there's no need for sarcasm. I will never buy from him ever again.
                            Watches kept for the next generation...
                            Rolex Oyster Perpetual Circa 1999
                            Rolex Explorer II 216570 G-Series
                            Omega Speedmaster Date
                            Sinn U1

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post

Anyone agrees?

hmm ... ok low but not that low .. can lower a bit ...
                              Just another small small small small watch user ....

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X