Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help! My 2nd rolex questions!

Hi guys,

Sorry if I seem like a pest as I keep asking the same questions. I’ve posted 2-3 times somewhere with my question but they don’t seem to get answered. I know sometimes some forums don’t bother with newbies but I really don’t know where else can I get the answers I want. Sorry!

Basically I’m planning to buy a pair of 2nd hard rolex watches for my parents.

It really means a lot to me to get them a pair but given the price of these watches, I need to be really careful about how I buy them. My parents are kinda poor, and I made up my mind to buy them the watches some years ago when they bought me a $20 watch for my graduation ceremony. Now that I have an ok job, I want to be able to thank them!

I will really appreciate any help/advice you can give me regarding these questions I have:

1. How much should I expect to pay for a second hand 16263 / 16261 / 16233? Just the basic models shown in the brochure. Specifically all Half-gold type.

2. How much more should I expect if diamonds (or other gems?) are included?

3. How about if I “upgrade” to the 116263 series? Will that be way out of my ball park?

4. I noted that prices for different “X” series varies. How “old” would be too “old” for a rolex watch? Because I noted that some watches can go for 3k+ to 8k+ depending on the year of production. So how old is reasonable? 10? 20? I noted that some “cheaper” ones are from 1990 – 1995 period. That’s nearly 20 years! Is a rolex of that age considered old fashioned?

5. My budget is about 10k, plus/minus 2-3k for a pair of 2nd hands. Is that ok?

6. Lastly, is there some quick and easy way or formula to estimate the “reasonable” price of the above models after knowing the descriptions? Like half-gold, diamond, sapphire crystal, gold dial, jubilee/oyster bracelet, etc

I am not looking for absolute bargains, just want to make sure that any price I get will be reasonable.

Main problem is the age/production, I really can’t gauge how a watch should be priced when they are the same model but produced in different years.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I’m planning to get them this July (after getting that 0.3 month bonus).

It helps to spend 2hr tour golden landmark and bencoolen
    Theres a couple of preown shops selling rolex and price are not unreasonable

Comment

reasonable or not reasonable is subjective.

Originally posted by skydweller_sg View Post
      if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
      1. subject heading indicating your issue
      2. your nick
      3. your corresponding email address
      4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

All comments are subjective
        Isnt it so? Even news report can be subjective at times

Originally posted by triton View Post
        reasonable or not reasonable is subjective.

Comment

i stand corrected as i miss out on keyword in your first post.

All comments are subjective
          Isnt it so? Even news report can be subjective at times
          if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
          1. subject heading indicating your issue
          2. your nick
          3. your corresponding email address
          4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Point is, if you are new to rolex, it helps to do a little homework to check prices from various sources eg preown shops , forums , ebay, and compare it with prices at rolex ADs
            Keep a record of your findings
            Over time, you will get an idea of how much savings you could get by buying preown, and have an idea of the price difference between models and series
            End of the day, you might even decide to forgo the savings and get bnib from ADs, be it local or overseas

Comment

In general, 16233 without papers, 15 year old, decent condition about mid 3k+ is possible. Add diamonds about 1k+.

Stick to watches about 15 years or so. That would go nicely within your budget.

Upgrading to the latest series would head you out of ur budget. You could google or check our forum FAQ for rolex production dates. Rougly get to know the series, don't believe everything the sales person says esp when it comes to the age always check the series.

It's not possible for me to answer you exactly your questions, because it isn't as simple as ABC. Alot of factors involved that determines the prices which I derive through experience and lots of research of the years. But I try my best to guide u along the way

Sometimes forgotten, but always contactable. Darkangel (2007-2014)

Comment

it is a lot of money, be it new or preown, so lookk around the shops, read the forums and never be pressured to buy. a good deal is always out there somewhere imo

"because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
                http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

Comment

good advice... always good to do some homework
                  preown shops and forums like sgroc are great places to start
                  visit ADs as well, compare preown conditions and bnib watches condition
                  hence you would get an idea of preown vs bnib watch condition, and decide if the savings getting a preown is worth it
                  you also get an idea on the price difference between different series and models, that helps in deciding if the price quoted by seller is reasonable

Originally posted by kohym View Post
                  it is a lot of money, be it new or preown, so lookk around the shops, read the forums and never be pressured to buy. a good deal is always out there somewhere imo

Comment

Thank you all for your valuable input.

I'll be doing a few recce trips to Bencoolen and PP this sat to "look see" at the models/prices to get a feel of it.

Many thanks to the bros here who offered advice here and via pm.

School started liao so need to concentrate....

Comment

Look forward to seeing photos of your purchase

Originally posted by hamuhamu View Post
                      Thank you all for your valuable input.

I'll be doing a few recce trips to Bencoolen and PP this sat to "look see" at the models/prices to get a feel of it.

Many thanks to the bros here who offered advice here and via pm.

School started liao so need to concentrate....

Comment

Where's the good places to view 2nd hand timepieces?

Comment

Probably at the People's Park Cplx & Ctr in Chinatown, the Bencoolen (opp Sim Lim Square) & Peninsula Plaza/Funan Ctr, etc.
                          The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

suggest bencoolen and golden landmark
                            not too sure about chinatown shops though

Comment

U should refrain from buying Rolex from one of the 2 hand shop which I heard the watch they sell are rather expensive... I got the news from one of the pawn shop....
                              Desire & Craving will never end, save some cash for the rainy day. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X