Rolex's that I don't understand why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpeedFreak View Post
    ...would like to ask, what was the purpose of these particular models?. And were they ever popular?..

- Milgauss 116400: This watch has a soft iron casing to protect from magnetic forces. What for? I noticed that IWC pushes this same soft iron casing message a lot, but they focus on pilots watches. If that's the case, then shouldn't GMTII have this "soft Iron casing".. And Milgauss has no date?.. So why does this watch command such a high price????

- Yatch Master 16622: This is supposed to be for Yatching, but how? It doesn't have a timer, split seconds or anything remotely useful for yatching? Sure the bezel turns and you can set a count down, but so does GMTII/Sub. Who buys this model and why does it command such a high price??
    both models are used for marketing purposes. i cannot comment on pricing due to the luxury goods status that rolex has.

the milgauss was discontinued in the late 80s and came back again in 2007 after almost 20 years of absence. during this time, vintage milgauss pricing went crazy (due to rarity). when it came back, it came back on its 50th anniversary (green glass too) and at a time when there was no "big" rolex dress watch (datejust 2 was not avail until 2009 i think).

perhaps another reason may be to see if this model will sell (due to the hype of old milgauss) and if it will fill a niche (big dress oyster) and for marketing purposes (anti-mag properties not only about the faraday cage but more about all the paraXXXXX enhancements).

rolex has always sponsored sporting events (equestrian, racing, tennis, et al), and this included yachting (eg, maxi yacht race). this yachting model was introduced in 1992 when rolex no longer made a model capable of timing short periods easily (older plastic subs had bezels that rotated in both directions but newer ones rotated only in 1 direction - the yacht master goes both ways so it can be "re-set" quickly - the daytona have minute markers too small to be identified quickly).

if rolex give out yacht masters at yacht races; they give out daytonas at daytona! (2 areas they have a big presence in due to marketing potential) we can see they are serious about yachting through the introduction of the yachtmaster 2 - not as a joke but a serious regatta timer (needing count down and count up) AND for marketing.

it works. (many yacht owners and regatta attendees wear yacht masters - the rich ones will naturally wear the yacht master 2.... easily identifiable too!)

further, it may be an experimentation for rolex when they started a new style design on its case (eg, lugs) and dial (maxi plots and hands). this soon trickled to much later models... (eg, datejust case and submariner LV dial in 2004 - the yacht master was introduced in 1992!)

i guess it doesn't matter that you don't understand why rolex introduces certain models. luxury goods do not always make sense. if it does, everybody would have an explanation for (as an example) richard mille watches.
    “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

Originally posted by taxico View Post
      both models are used for marketing purposes. i cannot comment on pricing due to the luxury goods status that rolex has.

the milgauss was discontinued in the late 80s and came back again in 2007 after almost 20 years of absence. during this time, vintage milgauss pricing went crazy (due to rarity). when it came back, it came back on its 50th anniversary (green glass too) and at a time when there was no "big" rolex dress watch (datejust 2 was not avail until 2009 i think).

perhaps another reason may be to see if this model will sell (due to the hype of old milgauss) and if it will fill a niche (big dress oyster) and for marketing purposes (anti-mag properties not only about the faraday cage but more about all the paraXXXXX enhancements).

rolex has always sponsored sporting events (equestrian, racing, tennis, et al), and this included yachting (eg, maxi yacht race). this yachting model was introduced in 1992 when rolex no longer made a model capable of timing short periods easily (older plastic subs had bezels that rotated in both directions but newer ones rotated only in 1 direction - the yacht master goes both ways so it can be "re-set" quickly - the daytona have minute markers too small to be identified quickly).

if rolex give out yacht masters at yacht races; they give out daytonas at daytona! (2 areas they have a big presence in due to marketing potential) we can see they are serious about yachting through the introduction of the yachtmaster 2 - not as a joke but a serious regatta timer (needing count down and count up) AND for marketing.

it works. (many yacht owners and regatta attendees wear yacht masters - the rich ones will naturally wear the yacht master 2.... easily identifiable too!)

further, it may be an experimentation for rolex when they started a new style design on its case (eg, lugs) and dial (maxi plots and hands). this soon trickled to much later models... (eg, datejust case and submariner LV dial in 2004 - the yacht master was introduced in 1992!)

i guess it doesn't matter that you don't understand why rolex introduces certain models. luxury goods do not always make sense. if it does, everybody would have an explanation for (as an example) richard mille watches.
      I'd agree with that and to add that Rolex DO have PROVEN history at these Events, in Exploration, and holds many Firsts and also the reliability that they offer is possibly un-matched even.
      ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by relac88
        Think rolex has among all automatic watches the best reliability and quality of finish
        Although some complain its movement is boring
        Doesnt really bother me
        Whats the use of a beautiful movement without reliability
        I so agree bro.
        ROLEX.

Comment

For more info on the Milgauss - SEE BELOW

http://timetapestry.blogspot.com/200...sy-beauty.html

http://www.rolex-chat.com/how-to-res...-milgauss.html

http://youtu.be/xb2ZeG1yAj0
          ( Short Vid )
          ROLEX.

Comment

For mor info on the Yacht-Master Origins & History - SEE BELOW

http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/2009/1...s-history.html

http://www.fratellowatches.com/some-...aster-history/
            ROLEX.

Comment

Originally posted by relac88
              Think rolex has among all automatic watches the best reliability and quality of finish
              Although some complain its movement is boring
              Doesnt really bother me
              Whats the use of a beautiful movement without reliability
              I'm curious to understand what you mean by quality of finish? Compared to the Trinity and even JLC, I never thought of Rolex as being known for its finishing. Reliability - no doubt. But ultimately Rolex built its reputation on workhorse watches like the Sub and GMT.

Here's an interesting review of the Explorer movement: http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...75591245315012

Comment

rolex movement is built to last, robust and accurate even after years of usage
                In fact with today's technology, most automatic watches can keep time very accurately
                If you ask me why rolex cost more than some other reliable brands, its the rolex branding i suppose

Comment

Funny to see relac88 disappeared completely and in comes skydweller_sg... *yawn*

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X