Nav Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse

Nav Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting my 1st rolex...advise please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting my 1st rolex...advise please...

Hi all,

Dont know if this is the right place to post this...so pardon me if i post it at the wrong place..

Gonna get married next month...haha thinking of getting myself a rolex before that... budget is ~5-6k? so most prob a 2nd hand one...

Was considering GMT2 with the red/bezel but too many nice watch around and can't settle with what I want >.<

Hope expert bros or anyone out there can give me some advise...haha other brand can also be considered...

THank you very Much!!!

You can get a relatively new (Z series and up) 14060M for that budget. That's how I started my journey to Rolex world.

Comment

Originally posted by monstar1985 View Post
      Gonna get married next month...haha...
      don't do it!!!! (just kidding...)

(i think!)

...thinking of getting myself a rolex before that... budget is ~5-6k? so most prob a 2nd hand one...

Was considering GMT2 with the red/bezel but too many nice watch around and can't settle with what I want >.<
      the gmt2 is a very versatile and useful watch - if you buy 2 more bezels, you can change the look of the watch when you feel like it (3 different "styles") and if you buy an extra jubilee bracelet, you can even dress it up a little when you want to.

1 watch, 6 different looks. i like.

but do try it on and shop around for prices and quality before committing. buy the best piece you can afford, not the cheapest.

best of luck with your marriage! (don't do it!!!! :b)
      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

.. Mr taxico is such a teaser. Firstly, congratz! It's (marriage) another journey in life. Good or not will depend how you make out of it.

Ok, back to topic. For a pre-owned watch and at your kind of budget, there should be quite an extensive range to choose from, not only ROLEX but others too. So it will be too wide to go into details. It will be better if you stay focus first on the brand you want, then the model(s). Once few are shortlisted, try them on your wrist for a more affirmative choice. You should be clearer in your choice by then, otherwise you are likely going to get more confusion.

Like what you have been advised by the two gentlemen, the watch models mentioned are worth considering.

Have a blissful marriage
        The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Both the Sub ND and GMT-II are good choices ... For pre-owned Rolex timepieces, you may also like to consider Exp-II and Sub-Date? Try them on where possible and see which smiles at you more
          运筹帷幄 决胜千里

Comment

i will throw out more things for you to consider. (5-6)K budget can get u a rolex alright.

your target - GMT II. recommendations - Sub ND, Sub Date, Explorer II...i say go for SD....the list will go on. i say stick to what you target already, dont be swayed.

you have been advised, get the best piece you can afford not the cheapest. yes and no. why?

best piece (assuming is based on condition[external?] of watch) then you may end up
            1. you may be able to get say a P series with complete set but condition is rated 80%.
            2. you may be able to get say a Z series without box and papers but condition is rated 90%.

*note: condition is based on the same benchmark you have set for 100%*

so which will you choose? best condition will work only if you set other factors constant.

then comes watch condition - this will come in 2 parts. internal and external.

external maybe rated 90% but the internal is rated 60% or external rated 80% but internal rated 90%? which is more important to you for condition - internal and/or external

a high rating internal and external condition watch may not be within budget.

so my advise to you, follow the steps below may help you make your decision faster and easier

stick to your target - GMT II
            stick to your budget - (5-6)K

set your watch package condition aka with box and papers and booklets and what have you not that you want.

decide which is of more importance, internal better condition or external better condition. sometimes one of these two has to be compromised for budget.

if you are not confuse already, i already am.

as i have mentioned this before, you will reach your destination. it is how you reach your destination. enjoy the journey.
            if you have issues with your account, click here for self help and read forum rules here. 90% of your answers can be found in Forum FAQ

i DO NOT respond to any pm regarding account issues

kindly email with
            1. subject heading indicating your issue
            2. your nick
            3. your corresponding email address
            4. state what you were trying to do and what the system prevented you to do

if you receive no response in pm or email, it means your answers can be found in the Forum FAQ here

your kind understanding is very much appreciated.

disclaimer : all opinions expressed are personal

Comment

Congrats for your marriage. If you set your target on a certain brand/ model, the next difficult part is to get the right one in the right condition both internal or external.
              Current Collection :

1) Rolex YG White Mother of Pearl Roman Dial Datejust 16018 (8 mil Serial)

2) Rolex YG Black Computer Roman Dial Datejust 16238 (L Serial)

3) Rolex TT Blue Submariner 16613LB (M Serial)

4) Rolex YG Red Vignette DayDate 18038 (8 mil Serial)

5) Rolex PT Pinkish White MOP DayDate 18206 (A Serial)

Comment

Waaaaaa Thanks guys!!! lolx...how come after reading all the advice i am even like more confuse!!!.....lolx =X

Yes i think i will stick to a GMT II and i would prefer it to be relatively new and hope to have both box and paper come with it?
                What price would that set me back? 5-6k is a price(i know is hard) that I(she) hope to spend on a watch and my other half(yet to be) wont make so much noise...hahaha...so now target is set...now i guess i need to start the hunt after tml exam...hahaha

i did consider Sub date but i kinda have a feel for the GMT II more kinda but still i think i need to have it on my hand to decide... I kinda find Explorer II kinda "small" to my liking...i wear my colleagues de once to try it out but dont really like.....

Taxico YOU MUST BE MARRIED rite? ahhaha...what to do house come le... have to marry le cant delay anymore =Pp haha....
                You make me itch to get the watch straight away...thinking of changing the bezel ard make me wanna get it now...>.<

waa... triton thanks alot for the advise!!! i will have to look around hard...But i guess what i want would want something that looks new and is still new both internal and external...But getting a brand new is a NONO for me(her) =X so I dont mind stretching the budget "alittle" more...as long as i can justify it...hahaha....

So for preown shop what would you guys reccommend?

Thanks danheng1, taxico( ~_~), Oceanklassik, psee, triton and zidaneong for the well wishes!!!!

Comment

There're many pre-own watch shops out there that you'll probably be spoilt for choice. You may consider to start with those advertising in the forum first. They're reputable as far as I know. Price & service wise you'll have to find out yourself.
                  The Crown Of Achievement

Comment

no, really, these guys are right. Listen to them. heh.

I just bought my first one as well, and i went through what i think is the same thought process - except i'm not getting married yet.

so anyway, the best piece of advice i can give you is this: try on the different models. When you go to the pre-owned shops (i went to chinatown) and say to you 'come in have a look, you can try it on', don't be too shy do actually try it on. Only then will you have the feel of what you like.

The truth is, people may not even think it looks good on you. But as long as you like it you're fine (:

and congrats on the marriage!

Comment

...I kinda find Explorer II kinda "small" to my liking...i wear my colleagues de once to try it out but dont really like...

...So for preown shop what would you guys reccommend?
                      the (non-maxi) explorer 2 is actually bigger in diameter, compared to its other siblings... just the illusion of being smaller because of its bezel. i like it because it's the most non-rolex-looking watch out there; stealth!

since you've worn it and know you don't like it, then there's no harm moving on. i recommend visiting the local watch FS forums and meeting sellers BUT TELL THEM YOU WANT TO VIEW FIRST - most good sellers have no problems with this.

whenever i sell a watch, i encourage viewings first, then i usually tell the buyers to go away and think about it. not to buy on the spot.

Taxico YOU MUST BE MARRIED rite? ahhaha...what to do house come le... have to marry le cant delay anymore =Pp haha....

You make me itch to get the watch straight away...
                      yes, i am married indeed! there're ups and downs in any marriage and there will be some itches after you're married too, not just from the kind you can put on your watch.

: )

congrats on getting your home, too. i heard they're hard to come by these days.
                      “Watches, no matter how much they cost, are better at telling time than making a person happy.” - Thomas J. Stanley

Comment

lolx taxico...home hard to come by? How i hope it was like tt..when i got my bidding 3years back and for the 2nd day of the choosing...I was like "put at gun point" to get it...it was actually a even harder choice to make when i sign on the piece of paper tt make me in debt for the next 30years of my life..and when i say that it is expensive and she force me to sign at that time and she never even think or consider anything...she say "WHERE GOT..I NEVER LO" >.< YA RITE...when i say... consider 1st...next time...the BLACKNESS of the face...YOU tell me how to say NO.....hahhaa

Yeah haha man is always itching everywhere and anywhere =X 8years long relationship for me so...is more or less steady state process? got up de meh? lolx steady state(straight line) or spike(quarrel)? hahaha

think i will pop by some 2nd hand dealer and try on the watch and see how it goes...my target is a AP chrono or something with the steel bracelet...hahaha but way way over my budget...Rawr...so many things but so little money...

thanks all for the advice!!! hope to get myself a watch soon!!! oh ya....tried on BALLS arabic engineerII and almost wanna get it 2weeks back but see the price at 2k++++ i feel getting a rolex is more worth it..haha...

Comment

I dont know if i buy it too fast lolx...
                          http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...owatchwfq.jpg/

Comment

That's an awesome coke. Congrats to yr watch and yr marriage
                            Help u to upload

Comment

whahah thanks Alex!! i was wondering how come the picture is not showing...

Now Taxico...where can i get the spare bezel and can we change it ourself easily? lOlX

Comment

Footer Ad Widget - Desktop

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget - Mobile

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X